• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sierracharlie338
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
    How do you feel the 6.5 x 47 stacks up in case design and performance. Is it politics holding it back?
    For arguments sake they are all three basically the same. In terms of performance (terminal and ballistic) it comes down to personal preference and if you reload or not.

6.5x47 - reload only
    260 - reload and some ammo but expensive
    65CM - excellent ammo backed by a major ammo company that is more affordable than the 260.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

If anybody is at SHOT, please see if you can get any info/pics of PCP Ammo's new 6.5 SOCOM cartridge.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

(https://n2a.goexposoftware.com/event...?ei=34&zb=3727)
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ETA:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=frA6anAX8wk)
        Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 01-26-2018, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
          Warrior
          • Apr 2013

(https://www.pcpammo.com/about-2/)

(https://www.pcpammo.com/faq/)

Comment

• BaltTigger
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington are ballistically the same. The only difference is the .260 has a tiny bit more case capacity. They functionally shoot the same bullet at the same speed.

Whichever ammo is available to you at the lowest price is the one to go for. Right now the Creedmoor is the darling and ammo is more readily available here than .260. YMMV

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

The other difference is that the Creedmoor can digest bullets with longer noses within the magazine length constraints.

This becomes important when trying to minimize drift at long ranges.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                The other difference is that the Creedmoor can digest bullets with longer noses within the magazine length constraints.

This becomes important when trying to minimize drift at long ranges.
                In the big picture this is true. However in my 260 SASS I've yet to find a projectile that was too long to run at mag length.

142 SMK, 143 ELD-X AND 147 ELD-M can all be loaded to 2.800 and perform wonderfully.

Maybe the new 150 SMK will only be usable in a Creedmoor gas gun, but I won't know till I get my hands on some.

We will see in bolt guns if the heavier 147 and 150gr projectiles start showing favor towards the 260 Rem case and the oh so slightly higher capacity.
                Last edited by Kilco; 02-01-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Buddy of mine is getting 2800fps with 150gr SMK with 26" 7.5 twist 6.5 Creedmoor.

G7 BC is .355.....

This thread is about a military application of the cartridges, specifically within SOCOM.

I have also seen that I could load all of the 140gr class target bullets in my .260 Rem gasser before the 143 ELD-X, 147 ELD-M, and now 150gr SMK came out.

I think a 130gr HPBT and 121-122gr 855A1 style projectile make a lot of sense for the military 6.5mm application from larger case capacities.

It will be interesting to see if there is any fleet data to support one shoulder angle over another.

I originally thought 6.5CM would have more feeding issues, but have not seen that so far in my courses, but while somewhat wide and deep, it is still anecdotal evidence.

I've not had feeding issues with the .260 Remington so far.
                  Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-01-2018, 01:20 AM.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Just saw video from Barrett showing off their shortened M240
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                        The Swiss had the 7.5x55 Schmidt & Rubin with a 27˚45' shoulder that runs in the SIG 510 service rifle just fine.

As long as the system is designed with the feed angles to work with the cartridge dimensions, a self-loading firearm can function with boring repeatability.

ETA: Beat

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          As long as the system is designed with the feed angles to work with the cartridge dimensions, a self-loading firearm can function with boring repeatability.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

One thing I noticed at SHOT was that Springfield introduced a 6.5 Creedmoor M1A. I also saw a company making left-handed M1As, which was interesting.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-10-2018, 05:55 PM. Reason: typo

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Neat!

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              One thing I noticed at SHOT was the Springfield introduced a 6.5 Creedmoor M1A.
                              So my favorite rifle is now available in 6.5mm? That's very cool.

Also very sad, because it's unlikely I'll ever be able to have one.

Comment

• SharpD0g
                                Unwashed
                                • Feb 2018

OK, well, I do hope the Army can produce a new design this time. IMHO this is another boondoggle like the OICW, Future Combat System, Crusader, The Navy's Zumwalt (DDX), CGX, etc. The DOD acquisition process seems to be mostly pie-in-the-sky system with an occasional good idea like the Army's XM17 or the Marines M27.

Personally I think the DOD would be well advised to use the 6.5G (replacing 5.56) and possibly the 6.5C (replacing the .308 for some applications) than going for telscopic-cased ammo from the get-go.

Comment

Working...
                                X