Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOCOM Looking at .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor Sniper Systems

Warrior
    The other difference is that the Creedmoor can digest bullets with longer noses within the magazine length constraints.

This becomes important when trying to minimize drift at long ranges.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    The other difference is that the Creedmoor can digest bullets with longer noses within the magazine length constraints.

This becomes important when trying to minimize drift at long ranges.
    In the big picture this is true. However in my 260 SASS I've yet to find a projectile that was too long to run at mag length.

142 SMK, 143 ELD-X AND 147 ELD-M can all be loaded to 2.800 and perform wonderfully.

Maybe the new 150 SMK will only be usable in a Creedmoor gas gun, but I won't know till I get my hands on some.

We will see in bolt guns if the heavier 147 and 150gr projectiles start showing favor towards the 260 Rem case and the oh so slightly higher capacity.
    Last edited by Kilco; 02-01-2018 at 04:36 AM.

Buddy of mine is getting 2800fps with 150gr SMK with 26" 7.5 twist 6.5 Creedmoor.

G7 BC is .355.....

This thread is about a military application of the cartridges, specifically within SOCOM.

I have also seen that I could load all of the 140gr class target bullets in my .260 Rem gasser before the 143 ELD-X, 147 ELD-M, and now 150gr SMK came out.

I think a 130gr HPBT and 121-122gr 855A1 style projectile make a lot of sense for the military 6.5mm application from larger case capacities.

It will be interesting to see if there is any fleet data to support one shoulder angle over another.

I originally thought 6.5CM would have more feeding issues, but have not seen that so far in my courses, but while somewhat wide and deep, it is still anecdotal evidence.

I've not had feeding issues with the .260 Remington so far.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-01-2018 at 02:20 AM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Just saw video from Barrett showing off their shortened M240 — chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (start at 9:20). "It performs beautifully." Stan? Perhaps fears of a 30 shoulder on a military small arm are overblown?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL :: Make ARs Great Again ::

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Quote Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    Just saw video from Barrett showing off their shortened M240 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (start at 9:20). "It performs beautifully." Stan? Perhaps fears of a 30 shoulder on a military small arm are overblown?
    You could be right, John. The 7.5 Swiss is very close, with a 28 shoulder. Apparently worked fine in belt-fed machine guns and select-fire battle rifles.

I wish I could've found something definitive on why the shoulder angle was reduced during 7.62 NATO development.
    Army Ordnance clearly recognized the advantages of a 30 shoulder, and it was changed only after years of testing.

P.S. Regarding the statement that 6.5 Creedmoor "performs beautifully" in the Barrett M240: It must be true, because gun makers never exaggerate.
    If at first you don't succeed, give up.
    Anything that can't be done easily, probably isn't worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    Just saw video from Barrett showing off their shortened M240 — chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (start at 9:20). "It performs beautifully." Stan? Perhaps fears of a 30 shoulder on a military small arm are overblown?
    The Swiss had the 7.5x55 Schmidt & Rubin with a 27˚45' shoulder that runs in the SIG 510 service rifle just fine.

As long as the system is designed with the feed angles to work with the cartridge dimensions, a self-loading firearm can function with boring repeatability.

ETA: Beat

www.AR15buildbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    As long as the system is designed with the feed angles to work with the cartridge dimensions, a self-loading firearm can function with boring repeatability.
    So, perhaps the M14 feed geometry wasn't quite compatible with the original 30 shoulder of the T65 cartridge, and that's why the angle was reduced?

Quote Originally Posted by stanc View Post
    So, perhaps the M14 feed geometry wasn't quite compatible with the original 30 shoulder of the T65 cartridge, and that's why the angle was reduced?
    One thing I noticed at SHOT was that Springfield introduced a 6.5 Creedmoor M1A. I also saw a company making left-handed M1As, which was interesting.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-10-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo

www.AR15buildbox.com

Thumbs up Neat!

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    One thing I noticed at SHOT was the Springfield introduced a 6.5 Creedmoor M1A.
    So my favorite rifle is now available in 6.5mm? That's very cool.

Also very sad, because it's unlikely I'll ever be able to have one.