SOCOM Looking at .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor Sniper Systems

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Interesting. I've only ever used a 260 Rem in the AR10 platform.. I remember when Hornady first advertised the 6.5 Creedmoor, one of the big pushes were it's disign was with semi-autos in mind.. I understand the shorter case would make performance tuning a little easier, but wouldn't the longer, less steep shoulder on the 260 Rem make it a more reliable feeding cartridge?

I've always been a 260 rem guy, never saw the need for a Creedmoor, but the amount of popularity it has brought to the .264 class as a whole is unsurpassed..

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

6.5 Creedmoor is a much better-designed case than .260 Rem, which is just a .308 wildcat that gained SAAMI standardization like 7mm-08 and .243 Winchester.

6.5 Creedmoor is a necked down 30 TC, which never caught on, but has several design features that are superior to the .308 Winchester with regard to neck tension, shoulder geometry, and projectile base location to the shoulder-neck junction.

I like the .260 Rem also, and have had 2 of them in gas guns. I still have my GA Precision 22" .260 Rem., which is a laser.

I found that it adds anywhere from 175yds to 225yds over a 22" Grendel shooting the same bullets, both of which are supersonic past 1000yds easily, especially with 130gr VLD.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        Interesting. I've only ever used a 260 Rem in the AR10 platform.. I remember when Hornady first advertised the 6.5 Creedmoor, one of the big pushes were it's disign was with semi-autos in mind.. I understand the shorter case would make performance tuning a little easier, but wouldn't the longer, less steep shoulder on the 260 Rem make it a more reliable feeding cartridge?
        Perhaps. 7.62 NATO development initially used a 30-degree shoulder (3-7 below), but it was later changed to 20 degrees (8-13) due to concerns about feeding and chambering.

Comment

• sharky47
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2017

They are looking at belt feds as well.

Here is a 260 Rem MK48 barrel I made a couple years ago for US MGA, runs good - just stupid expensive to feed with current ammunition choices.

Just finished an M240 barrel in 260 Rem as well, don't think the customer has test fired it yet though....

Comment

• HowaGrendel
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

260 and 6.5 are basically the same....why test 2 rounds that are basically identical.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HowaGrendel View Post
              260 and 6.5 are basically the same....why test 2 rounds that are basically identical.....
              To measure feeding reliability in both belt and magazine-fed weapons to see if there's a statistical difference.

Also to test accuracy potential in the mag-fed Sniper Systems.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                To measure feeding reliability in both belt and magazine-fed weapons to see if there's a statistical difference.

Also to test accuracy potential in the mag-fed Sniper Systems.
                I'm my gas guns the 260 Rem always fed better. Where you run into issues is chasing the lands. Creedmoor doesn't suffer from that as much with the shorter case.

I've owned many of both, and still prefer the 260 Rem.

Alot of guys claim the creedmoor is a better designed case, and mathmaticaly it very well might be. But when the rubber meets the road I've been able to squeeze another 50-75 fps from the 260 with less pressure signs, and every 260 I've owned, wether factory or custom has been every bit as accurate as an equivalent creedmoor.

I've been playing with two 6mm Creedmoors, and the same thing holds true vs the 243 Win.

I don't get better velocity with the 243v6mmCM as I do 260vs6.5CM, but I've yet to find a single thing the 6mm CM can do a 243 Win can't.

Only pro I've found with 6mmCM is that factory chambered rifles are using the 1:7.7 or 1:8 twist, allowing the use of the high b.c 6mm projectiles, where factory 243 chambered rifles are typically 1:9-1:10.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Kilco,
                  Since you mentioned 243 Win I thought I would mention Bear Creek Arsenal has 243 Win uppers for $399 in the AR-10 format.
                  I am tempted since I always wanted a 243 win.

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                    Kilco,
                    Since you mentioned 243 Win I thought I would mention Bear Creek Arsenal has 243 Win uppers for $399 in the AR-10 format.
                    I am tempted since I always wanted a 243 win.
                    I'm a big fan of the 243 Win. 3 years ago I bagged a 207lbs whitetail with a 243 at 200 yards using the 95gr SST.
                    That's a smoking deal for an AR10 upper.. what twist rate?

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

From the website: $399.99
                      BCA AR-10 Complete Upper Assembly, 20" Parkerized 4150 Steel Heavy Barrel, .243 Winchester, 1:8 Twist, Rifle Length Gas System w/ 15" Lightweight Keymod Rail

wt: 4 lb.

SKU: UA243RHB2018(P)-(15)LWKM

20" 4150 Parkerized Barrel w/ 1:8 Twist
                      SHeavy Barrel Profile
                      15" Lightweight Keymod
                      .243 Caliber
                      M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver [Note, it says AR-10 feed ramps]
                      Rifle Length Gas System,
                      BCA Standard BCG
                      Charging Handle
                      Bird Cage Flash Hider

Isn't the rub with 243's throat erosion / barrel burn out?
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Personally I'd want at least a 22" with a 243 or 6mm CM to take advantage of the cartridges potential.

I read some reports that the 6mmCM has slightly better throat life than the 243, but I feel like that is so subjective to how you load/shoot your rifle..

I have a 243 Win R700 with over 2k rounds down the barrel that still shoots sub moa and produces great velocity.. I've never shot it in rapid succession, and keep my load at or below book max.

Alot of the barrel life numbers come from competition shooters who really push the limits with thier handloads and can fire alot of rounds in a relatively short period of time.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2013

(http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...dge-6-5-socom/)

Comment

• Forrest
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            6.5 Creedmoor is a much better-designed case than .260 Rem, which is just a .308 wildcat that gained SAAMI standardization like 7mm-08 and .243 Winchester.

6.5 Creedmoor is a necked down 30 TC, which never caught on, but has several design features that are superior to the .308 Winchester with regard to neck tension, shoulder geometry, and projectile base location to the shoulder-neck junction.

I like the .260 Rem also, and have had 2 of them in gas guns. I still have my GA Precision 22" .260 Rem., which is a laser.

I found that it adds anywhere from 175yds to 225yds over a 22" Grendel shooting the same bullets, both of which are supersonic past 1000yds easily, especially with 130gr VLD.
                            How do you feel the 6.5 x 47 stacks up in case design and performance. Is it politics holding it back?

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2013

The 6.5mm Creedmoor in the Desert Tech MDR, with free-floating barrel:

(http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?to...5417#msg135417)
                              _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ETA:

(http://www.es-tactical.com/shop/Dese...-x32052649.htm)
                              Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 01-24-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X