• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkipW
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Hi new here, need some advice

I am 60 years old. A former Lind distance shooter until my eyes started to go bad. Well got my eyes fixed. Now I made the mistake of selling my long range rifles, well giving them to my son. I want to try the 6.5 Grendel platform on an AR. I need guidance on best way to proceed.would prefer 24"barrel with 5R. Can handle that. The bolt, upper and the rest is where I need advice. Thanks guys
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Barrel, trigger, scope that's where the accuracy will come from spend the most you can afford on those parts the rest are just there to hold it together.

I have heard when going with a long barrel it's better to use a billet upper and not a forged upper.

PF would get my vote for the parts PF billet upper and forged lower, PF lower parts kit, your choice of trigger, PF upper parts kit, and your choice of handguard and stock, some asc or elander mags and rock that bad boy out.

My rifle is a mix of anderson lower and lower parts kit, SSA-E trigger, PF upper, bcg and charging handle plus dust cover, JP 18 inch lightweight barrel and bolt combo, JP adjustable gas block and rifle length gas tube, guntec thread protector, standard hand grip, seekins sp3rv3 15 inch handguard, magpul fixed rifle stock.

I listed all this so you can see that you can build a fine rifle with diffrent retailer's part's, but all that said PF,JP,AA, Anderson all make good parts.

Hope this helps you sir, and post some pic's for us when you get her together.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome in Skip. Research the forum on the use of blue Loctite, or permatex to assemble the upper- or check with Bill A. From what many of us have found, it really seems to help bond things together to help in accuracy.

Plus A5 has good advice. Contact LRRFP52 , & LR1955., also for really -really long range shooting- for starters.

Comment

• Red Dawn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build.
        "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Welcome.
          What is your budget?

Bartlein or Krieger barrel, Geisselle trigger and a Nightforce scope if you have lots of money!!
          Last edited by lrgrendel; 04-30-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum SkipW!

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Welcome!! The sky really is the limit with an AR build bowadays... whats your budget?

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Yeah, budget was my first question as well.
                There's tons of choices for high or low budget sky really is the limit either way. Since you mentioned​ long range I'll assume your not going "budget"
                So first I'd reccomend deciding whether you want a traditional AR upper with a "charging handle" or a side charging upper which come in both reciprocating, and non reciprocating side chargers.
                For a somewhat cheaper option but still pretty nice quality wise I'd check out the ODIN works billet upper which is alot stiffer than mil spec uppers. $150 I'd get one on sale. I personally like the Aero precision "slick side" uppers that DON'T have the forward assist buttons for about $65 on sale.
                JP Enterprise always make nice stuff. I'd reccomend them from a higher end option. barrels and bolts are matched. Precision Firearms has alot of VERY nice upper end sticks as well.
                For a cheaper but still very nice tube Alexander Arms Lite 18" gets very good reviews for $200. (I wish they also made them in 20,22,24" lengths)
                If you spend on the high end I'd definitely round out the important parts with a quality trigger like Geissle's.
                Im leaning towards the ALG defense hand gaurds or the Troy Alpha.
                Pretty much everything else is subjective.
                Classic firearms has some great deals on pretty good lowers. The Anderson closed triggers, as well as a magnesium lower among others.
                Check out 2A armament, V seven, and battle arms development if you really want some inspiration. I just might get drunk and hide the pocket book the night before..
                And yes "bedding" your barrel and gas block with loctite definitely seems to make a difference with all the reccomdations I've read.
                And finally there's this video for your consideration it's the 1500yrd milk jug shot with 6.5 Grendel using JP barrel. Parts are listed at the end of the video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36XhNfFKmEs

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum SkipW.
                  If you are wanting a 5R barrel, a Satern cut rifling barrel would be a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
                  X