• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liver
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Grendel chrome bolt

Hello! Forum newbie here. I was thinking about getting (another) a 308 when I came across this caliber and cartridge. This will fit my shooting style much better. Small game and paper.

I'm about to get on board with the Faxon group buy. What bolt would you all recommend? Ideally I would like to get a chrome bolt. I already have a Young Manufacturing NM chrome carrier that is sitting unused. Would be nice to match it up with a Grendel 6.5 chrome bolt. Of course, has to match up with the Faxon barrel.

Thanks.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

The group buy bolt is the best deal you will get on a bolt but it's not chrome. You should also buy your bolt with your barrel in case you need the other size bolt. The faxon barrels are .136 so if that is definitely the barrel your getting then any 136 bolt will will.
    Last edited by Bigs28; 04-28-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Liver
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
      The group buy bolt is the best deal you will get on a bolt but it's not chrome. You should also buy your bolt with your barrel in case you need the other size bolt. The faxon barrels are .136 so if that is definitely the barrel your getting then any 136 bolt will will.
      Will do. I only wanted a chrome to match, no other substantial reason.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Precision Firearms has a Super Match bolt that is nickel boron. Not chrome, but still shiny. Their web site shows it currently out of stock, but you might email him and find out for sure.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I would get the NiB if you absolutely have to have something that looks chrome.

Hard chrome bolts were found to suffer from hydrogen embrittlement, with early surface stress fractures that would propagate any the lug roots and cam pin hole, which is why the Army and USAF asked for a change from the early Colt 601 and 602 rifles back in the early 1960s, to be replaced with new metallurgy and no hard chroming on the next rifle production models, the Colt 603 (M16A1) and USAF Colt 604 (no forward assist).
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Liver
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

Nah. I'll still use the carrier, just chrome for looks.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

I have a NIB carrier and the group buy nitrided bolt, really the contrast looks kinda neat.

Comment

Working...
              X