Am I doing the math right on 129gr ABLR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Am I doing the math right on 129gr ABLR?

I've sent mark a couple emails about making me a 10.5" grendel sbr. He posted that they were getting 0.9 inch groups with muzzle velocities of 2200fps with match kings. I know the ablr will have a different muzzle velocity but not sure what it was so I put 2200 in my calculator and I was showing the ablr over 1300fps out to 700+yards which is the minimum velocity for expansion for the round.

So am I reading the data right that a 10.5" will have proper expansion out to 700 yards? The energy is only 500ish so I'm not talking about big game. I'm not even talking about shooting it to 700 yards just trying to figure out if its capable.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I don't know why this posted in the for sale section. Sorry. That was not intended.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Yes, I've been telling people that it is the combination to beat for SBRs.

500ft-lbs is pretty common for some of the more stout .357 Magnum loads....at the muzzle.

I'm not advocating for anyone to engage medium game at 700yds with a 10.5" Grendel, but within common hunting distances, it's an impressive combination. Look at how far it maintains 800ft-lbs

300yds 1787fps 915ft-lbs

With a common 200yd zero for hunting, it has a point blank zero of 225yds in 10mph full value wind.

With 5mph full value wind, it maintains PBZ inside a 10" vital zone out to 325yds.

Put a can on it, some decent optics, and you have your primary hunting solution for life probably.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

That is my plan lrrpf52 if I can get mark to return an email. I'm planning on the vortex viper pst gen 2 2-10x32 and a tbac ultra 5 or 7

Comment

• Jakal
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Here's a good post for your review!

Anyone on here have extensive history with a 6.5 Grendel SBR? What length would you recommend? Any advice on things to do or not to do? My current Grendel is a 16" build. Looking into doing a future SBR build.
          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Wow the possibilities! That would make for one bad ass brush/truck gun to say the least!

Comment

• explorecaves
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

500ft-lbs is pretty common for some of the more stout .357 Magnum loads....at the muzzle.

I'm not advocating for anyone to engage medium game at 700yds with a 10.5" Grendel, but within common hunting distances, it's an impressive combination. Look at how far it maintains 800ft-lbs

300yds 1787fps 915ft-lbs

With a common 200yd zero for hunting, it has a point blank zero of 225yds in 10mph full value wind.

With 5mph full value wind, it maintains PBZ inside a 10" vital zone out to 325yds.

Put a can on it, some decent optics, and you have your primary hunting solution for life probably.
              That is my plan....

Comment

• carlhwv
                Bloodstained
                • May 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

300yds 1787fps 915ft-lbs

First post, but been lurking for some time and your thread on AR15 got me headed down this path.

What is realistic, for elk, with this setup? I moved to a LaRue 308 four years back....my backup gun for the trip after waxing my scope the day before...and learned the value of quick followup shots. I've got a 260 Rem coming that will probably be my primary this year, but might just give this one a trip.

Are you using your 16" AA light weight build? What load have you settled on and has proven success?
                Carl
                NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post
                  First post, but been lurking for some time and your thread on AR15 got me headed down this path.

What is realistic, for elk, with this setup? I moved to a LaRue 308 four years back....my backup gun for the trip after waxing my scope the day before...and learned the value of quick followup shots. I've got a 260 Rem coming that will probably be my primary this year, but might just give this one a trip.

Are you using your 16" AA light weight build? What load have you settled on and has proven success?
                  Welcome aboard.

I've been shooting my Lilja 31 barreled Grendel the most over the past 2-3 years, getting to learn the rifle more each trip or event.

I tore down my 16" since it wasn't bedded, and I'm thinking about cutting that barrel down for a pistol or SBR.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2017

Thanks for the quick reply. Have you used it for elk? I'm trying to be realistic, but each year those hikes at 9000ft coming from sea level are getting tougher. Would you shoot one 300 yard with your Grendel?
                    Carl
                    Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

Absolutely. There are several YouTube videos of elk being taken with grendel. The 6.5 grendel round is definitely capable of ethically killing an elk if you do your part.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post
                        Thanks for the quick reply. Have you used it for elk? I'm trying to be realistic, but each year those hikes at 9000ft coming from sea level are getting tougher. Would you shoot one 300 yard with your Grendel?
                        I took my lightweight Lilja 318 up for elk 2 years ago with a fast Hornady GMX experimental load. 300yds was about my cut off. Didn't get any shots, but wasn't concerned about it knowing what that bullet does. Was also up at over 9000ft elevation.

Mark LaRue shot a large bull elk at 400yds with his 20" Grendel using the 120gr TSX load from AA. Piled it up within a few yards of the shot.

There have been plenty of 6.5 Grendel elk shots posted here, as well as video on youtube. All died within their shadow or a few yards. There are also videos of elk being shot with .300 RUM that tried to run off and needed a 2nd shot. Hit probability through the vitals is more likely with a lower recoiling rifle that you can see the hit with, and practice more with, but terminal performance for penetration requires a certain bullet weight and construction.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2017

I shoot 130gr tsx in my Wby and 150 gr ttsx in my 308. I'll poke around here more and start workimg on loads. We work to get >300 yd shots, so with some real life examples, sound like I might get to reduce my pack load in November. Appreciate the info. Going to be a fun summer.....
                          Carl

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Penetration with most cup and core, as well as solid projectiles from 6.5 Grendel are anywhere from 21"-30". The Barnes 100gr TTSX is another option going fast.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2017

I'm guessing 2900fps is achievable with the 100gr ttsx. I see PF loads both. They are just down the road. I'm going to drop in next week and see what I can find out. He sells Lilja barrels with matched bolts, in addition to his full upper. Guessing 18" with a 2" break is good for this application?
                              Carl

Comment

Working...
                              X