• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreadpirate
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Optic for 50 to 250 and a max of 500 yards

I am in the process of building my first 6.4 Grendel upper. I wanted something with the ability with an AR platform to kill deer or wild boar at medium range, and a 223 does not cut it. But I think the absolute limit shooting with this rifle will be 500 yards. Most likely will be hunting 50 to 250 yards. So I was thinking an optic with a max range of 12 or 14 power. An adjustable objective would be nice for those instances where I am under 100 yards. Suggestions?
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Vortex 1-8x will be more than enough for what you are wanting.... though if you want a little more magnification, vortex PST 2.5-10x would be where I would land.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

A bit more pricey but a very dependable scope is the 2.5-10*42 NXS. Has side adjustable parallax from 25yds to infinity. (The PST is parallax fixed for 100yds).

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

It's best you preface a question like that with a budget around here, and then say you budget is about 60% of what it actually is ��. On that note, you don't need as much magnification with a higher quality scope because the picture is sharper. I can ring steel with a viper 2.5-10x32 all day long while a Bushnell AR series 4.5-16x42 will blur and start to phase in and out on me at 450 if I look through it too long...
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Vortex diamondback or diamondback hp lines one of those should fit a tight budget give you good glass and be more then enough to go to 500.

I use the diamondback hp 4-16x42 and take it to 600.

Comment

• dreadpirate
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            It's best you preface a question like that with a budget around here ... you don't need as much magnification with a higher quality scope because the picture is sharper. I can ring steel with a viper 2.5-10x32 all day long while a Bushnell AR series 4.5-16x42 will blur and start to phase in and out on me at 450 if I look through it too long...
            That's a great point. Spotting scopes really underscore glass quality versus magnification. I once had a cheap 60 X spotting scope that was awful past 100 yards. Also - about $500 would be my budget. I can afford a $1400 scope - it's really a matter of deciding how much is enough for me and what I am WILLING to pay. The $500 number is therefore a bit arbitrary if someone can convince that the Night Force scope is worth it.

Here is another data point. I have a Vortex Viper 2.5 X 10 on a 223 rifle. It does have very clear glass. I also have a Nikon Monarch (old Monarch that was marked down) 4-16 on a 243 bolt gun, also awesome. My only minor knock against Vortex is the eye relief is more narrow than the Nikon.

I never thought of the Viper 2.5X10 as a longer scope - but it does have very clear glass and a big 30 mm tube.

I am new to this forum and am already happy with fresh perspective I am getting.

Comment

• dreadpirate
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              A bit more pricey but a very dependable scope is the 2.5-10*42 NXS. Has side adjustable parallax from 25yds to infinity. (The PST is parallax fixed for 100yds).
              I don't seem to find any parallax adjustment for scopes under 12X. Is it that under that magnification parallax is negligible?? I have always wondered about that.

Comment

• dreadpirate
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2017

What do you guys think of the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Adjustable Objective Rifle Scope?

Comment

• dreadpirate
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Here's a great suggestion from another thread:
                  I have a $300 budget for glass and mount. I am thinking about the aero precision ultralight spr mount, 3.25oz and $75 shipped. I like Nikon scopes for the price and weight (3-9x40 13oz $100). I also like the Primary Arms .308HUD ACSS reticle and they offer it in a 4-14x44 (25oz, $280) with a first focal plane scope. Maybe this

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

Msrp is about 30% more then retail. And if your military or leo then you get 40%off from them.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I find it is difficult to choose an optic for a particular firearm as there are so many choices. My last 6.5 Grendel build was for a 16" 6.5 Grendel Faxon barrel on the group buy. I wanted to keep this rifle relatively light and handy. I used a fairly light free float hand guard, mil spec buffer tube and collapsable stock with A-2 grip. My primary purpose for this rifle is varmint hunting and target shooting. I looked at both 1" and 30 MM scope tubes and I really like Vortex and Leupold scopes. I have a Mark AR 3-9X40 scope with Mildot reticle and 1" tube. I use this scope on one of my 16" 6.5 Grendels but after shooting long range realized a 20 MOA mount and higher magnification was desireable along with adjustable objective.

I really couldn't find a scope I liked with 1" tube, mildot with adjustabe objective in 4-12 or 4-16 magnification. Vortex has a few scopes in 30 MM tubes but they all seemed to be bigger than I wanted or out of my price range of around $500. I looked at the Vortex Diamondback tactical but they were new enough I couldn't find one to compare even though they do not have adjustable objective.

I ended up buying a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 AO with dead hold reticle. A Friend found the same scope on ebay for $225 and after looking at his Diamondback I was seriously considering buying one. The Diamondback and Viper scopes are manufactured in the Philippines and are pretty good scopes with Vortex's warranty. This particular scope has been discontinued because the AO is on the objective bell whereas the new model has the AO dial on the side of the tube.

I found the Diamondback 4-12X40 AO on sale on Amazon for $197 plus free shipping. The only feature I gave up was mildot but I can still acomplish my goals with the dead hold reticle. I also bought a Warne one piece 20 MOA mount, black in color on Amazon for $100.

So far I really like this combo as it keeps my rifle light and handy which should work really well for varmint hunting and target shooting. A Friend put a Vortex Viper PST 30 MM tube 4-16 on his 18" 6.5 Grendel and it is a very nice scope but just a little more bulk and weight than I wanted for my 16" 6.5 Grendel.

The reason I wanted the 20 MOA mount is I have access to locations where I can shoot 1000+ yards. I found out with my Mark AR scope I ran out of adjustment at 750-800 yards. There are better rifles for shooting 800-1000 yards than a 16" 6.5 Grendel but I still enjoy the challenge. Since most of my shooting is at 350-500' ASL the 20 MOA mount was desireable as it didn't add any bulk but additional capability to my rifle.

I think a lot of forum members can identify with your dilemma and choosing an optic and mount.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-29-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• dreadpirate
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2017

I went with Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 Riflescope w/ V-Plex Reticle for $350 plus a $15 off coupon I had and "value" shipping, delivered by mule train in two weeks from Optics Planet

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

That's a good scope especially for the price. Let us know you like your Viper HS after you get it on the range.

Comment

Working...
                          X