• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakegsxr11
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Athalon

I'm looking at he helos and argos. Does anyone have any opinions on them? Is the helos worth the price jump? This scope will be on a hunting and 500 yard range gun, 18" precision cut rifle barrel. I'd be willing to try something else in that price range also if anyone has another suggestion.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

helos just came out, havent seen any reviews yet
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• GarandThumb
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

Buddy of mine recently purchased an 6-30x56 argos (non btr). I was unimpressed with it. I guess they are okay but don't go expecting a $350 athlon is as good as a $700 scope like the internet chatter makes it sound.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

The only other scope I have is a Nikon M-223, how will these scopes compare to that one?

Comment

• joedirt199
          Warrior
          • Jul 2015

I have a midas btr 4.5-27 and it is great glass for the money. Reticle is nice to have holds down to .2 mils. As nice as my japanese weavers and better than my swfa ss 12x. Less foggy image and easier to find propper eye placement.

Comment

• Steamburn
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Please consider Leupold. They are made here in the USA. Eternal life guarantee and their least expensive scopes are great.
            Once, many moons ago, I dropped my rifle over some rocks in the mountains in California and my scope got dinged (concoidal fracture of the objective lens). I sent it to Leupold for repairs and they sent me a new one at no cost.
            My neighbor, bought a Leupold in a garage sale, a discontinued model by the way. Very old and had a scratch in the tube and missing one of the caps. Again, they sent him a new one at no cost.
            Currently I have two Rifleman models 2-7x32. They weigh only 11 oz and are phenomenal. This model has been discontinued and replaced with their VX-1 model at around $200 per:

They have more expensive models, some are more than $1000 and I only wish I could afford them, but then, would I be able to tell the difference in practice?
            Last edited by Steamburn; 05-03-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• tucansam
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

I have an Argos 6-24 and love it. I am not an internet fanboy. I have US Optics, IOR, SWFA HD, and plenty of cheap steel Weavers from ebay.

The Argos went back twice. First two scopes, the hash marks on the turrets wouldn't line up. I'd click and it would indicate 0.15 mils, then 0.2, then 0.3, then 0.35, etc. I would dial back down to zero, sometimes it would land on zero, sometimes not. Then I'd dial back up again and get 0.1, 0.2, 0.25, 0.35, 0.4, etc.

The third scope was hand-picked by one of their customer service guys, and its turrets are perfect.

The glass is good. Comparable easily with my SWFA 3-15, and my old Bushnell Elite 4200. At work I have a Mark 4 3-9, and its not exactly the best cared for scope in the world, but the Argos glass beats it, hands down. In fairness, the Mark 4 is OLD, probably more than a decade and a half old. I'm sure most modern glass from a reputable lens company would be better.

It focuses down close enough for me to use inside my house. 25-30 feet, maybe less. It seems popular with airgunners for this reason.

Above 18x the image really starts to dim, and I have really never used it at 24x. 18-22x is usable, easily. Just a little dim. Not bad. 23-24x is usable certainly, but my eyes are old and I'm over having to squint.

So far it has tracked well, but its been on a various 22LRs its whole life, and they're not the most accurate rifles, nor am I using the most accurate ammo with them. Still, dialing from 50-180y, or using the reticle (best part of the scope) for holds, it did well, and was repeatable.

The reticle has allowed me to zero it on three different rifles with ONE round.

I am now on standby for an Ares 4.5-27. I am also looking at a Helos for another build, but I like the Ares turrets better.

I have seen Athlon compared directly to Vortex, and Athlon themselves have stated that they respect Vortex and their stuff, and I get the feeling Athlon is trying to come up with direct competitors to Vortex's lineup.

You can read all about the company on other forums, I like their back story and so far their customer service has been top-notch.

I'm happy with my Argos.
              Last edited by tucansam; 05-04-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I didn't really find enough quality reviews about athalon to try them out. I really wanted a Vortex PST 3-15 but they were to costly for me to get one. I decided on the SWFA SS 3-15 instead.

Comment

Working...
                X