• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightsabr2
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Range Report

Pic from yesterday:
    This is the rifle I'm fine tuning. I have a 2nd upper in .223 wylde for more of a combat training rifle, but this one will have the long legs. I built the whole thing (my first AR) from parts purchased throughout my last deployment. I took a long leap on a unique glass option with the Burris Eliminator III. I'll post results

I built the rifle last summer, and it gave me some pains during the fall while testing. I had failure to feed, I had a couple stovepipe jams, and I found it hard to dial in the scope. So, I took the winter off from the rifle, hunted with my 7mm, and just ignored the problem. Now the weather's warming up and I'm ready to get back on the gun. I'm still refining my craft (aren't we all?), so I try to call out when I know I jerked the trigger. My new tactic is to fight poor performance with superior record keeping and lots more practice. The following report is every shot I took at the range yesterday as I dialed the scope and pushed the target out. I'll continue doing this until I'm well zeroed at 100 yards. This is my goal so I can begin trying dope out to farther distances and prepare to hunt with it in a few months. I know this report will be dry as hell, so just ignore if it's nothing of interest.

6.5 Grendel - 18" barrel
    Scope - Burris Eliminator III 4-16x 50mm
    30 April 2017 - Shooting seated from the bench
    Great Falls, MT - 3300ft elevation
    50F, Wind 15-20mph from left, intermittent showers, but shooting from covered bench
    Hornady A-Max 123grain

28 Yards
    1) R .25"
    2) R .5" U .25"
    3) WTF. No impact. Went through existing hole? o.O
    -Note- very difficult to seat magazine
    4) R .7" U .25"
    5) R .15" U .25"
    6) R .7" U .7"
    7) Through hole #2
    8) R .5" U .5"
    -Malfunction- Stovepipe - Also deformed following round's case, unusable. Cleared rifle, rechambred next round, resumed firing.
    9) R .5" U .5"
    10)R 1" U/D 0
    -Note- brass landing about 4' ahead and 4' right of rifle (on bench)

50 Yards
    1) R 1.2" U 5.5"
    2) R 2" U 5.4"
    3) R 1.5" U 5.7"
    Turret Adjustment (in 1/8 MOA clicks) Down 8, Left 3
    4) R 1" U 3.3"
    Turret Adjustment - Down 16, Left 7
    5) R .75" U 3.3" Probably my flinch
    6) R 3" U 2" Probably getting tired
    7) R 2" U 1.7"
    -Note- Last round in mag, case remained in action after shot just laying on top of mag follower, action locked open on empty mag.
    Turret Adjustment - Down 12, Left 7
    8, 9, 10) similar viscinity, rain shower harder to be exact, R .75" U 2.3"
    Turret Adjustment - Down 24, Left 8
    11) L .5" U 1"
    12) L/R 0" U 1"
    13) R 1" U 1"
    Turret Adjustment - Down 15
    14) L .5" D .5"
    15) L 1.8" D 1.8" - Shooter error
    16) Bullseye!

Final note, as I'm preparing to send the round, I get more L/R wiggle that I'm fighting than anything else. I know this is probably just a practice issue, staying solid on the grip without shaking. I may look into a different bipod, though. My Harris is on the 7mm and a cheap-o is on the 6.5. I'll probably swap them before the next trip to the range.
Working...
X