X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LWP
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Because if there is any chance that this blue loctite will become liquefied and run back into the receiver area I think that I might pass on using Loctite. But I still like the idea of using the tool to square up the face of the receiver and filling in the gap (if necessary) between the outside of the extension and inside of the receiver. These two ideas seem like they are relatively cheap and easy to help,or possibly solve accuracy problems. Or inaccuracy? (IMO)

Comment

• dreadpirate
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by LWP View Post
      So now I'm curious, what temp does the barrel extension and chamber heat up to with an ambient temp of 95* shooting 10 shots at lets say in 20 seconds produce? Or, how many shots can be fired before the temp gets high enough to start to melt the blue loctite?
      Loctite 620 is rated to 450 deg F. I don't think semi-auto rates of fire would reach that temperature. On the other hand, if you did several mag dumps than perhaps you could hit that. I will not with my expected rate of fire.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

There have literally been hundreds of loctited barrel extensions deployed, and I've yet to read where someone had an incident of blue incursion into the receiver. Here's something else for you to ponder: At 140F, it becomes too uncomfortable to hold your hand to the barrel. It is at or before this point where I've always set my rifles aside to cool while I gave another a turn on the bench. This is also the practice literally all my shooting partners follow and when they set theirs aside, as well.
        Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-16-2017, 06:40 PM.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dreadpirate
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2017

Because if there is any chance that this blue loctite will become liquefied and run back into the receiver area I think that I might pass on using Loctite. But I still like the idea of using the tool to square up the face of the receiver and filling in the gap (if necessary) between the outside of the extension and inside of the receiver. These two ideas seem like they are relatively cheap and easy to help,or possibly solve accuracy problems. Or inaccuracy? (IMO)
          Ok - Loctite or not - if you guys think your AR is heating up to 450 deg F, now you have to worry about annealing the aluminum upper. I really, really doubt it's going to get that hot.

Comment

• dreadpirate
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

Don't get me wrong though - I think these are all great questions. At any rate, care should be taken when heating up Loctite on your aluminum upper.

Comment

• LWP
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

Ok so for all intentional purposes Blue Loctite will liquefy at around 450 deg F. Given that number I plan on taking my MiniTemp laser gun with me to the range next time to do some testing on the temp of my different rifle barrels next to the receivers after firing some shots. Not only in different calibers but with some different powders, since I think that the difference in powders is a factor also. Maybe not that much but I'm still curious to see. Also because of the hand guard on my gas guns I'm not really able to feel the temp like I can on my bolt guns. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping after firing 20 shots with my 6.5 Grendel in around 30 - 40sec. that I'm nowhere near 450* F.

Comment

• LWP
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2017

This may not be the most effective tool to measure with, but I think it will do. Any comments on this test are welcomed?
                Last edited by LWP; 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

I imagine glue will get soft as the breech heats up but as long as it is contained in the join it should (like water) be essentially incompressible. If incompressible then it is still should be providing support. Unlike grease, which is always viscous and so there's more opportunity for it to migrate out the tiny cracks and joins when hot or cold, when in use or being stored. I do notice when pulling off old barrels that there always seems to be less grease than when they first went on.

Comment

• LWP
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2017

So this means that the Loctite is constantly changing form? I'm not a big fan of change, when something is constantly changing there is no consistency. And when there is no consistency things are not repeatable. I like my weapons and ammo to be repeatable for constant dependability.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

So this means that the Loctite is constantly changing form? I'm not a big fan of change, when something is constantly changing there is no consistency. And when there is no consistency things are not repeatable. I like my weapons and ammo to be repeatable for constant dependability.
                      I agree, however like to keep an open mind on every new innovation. Occasionally innovations end up being fads so it pays to separate the confidence and wishful thinking from fact.

What I am more interested in is the difference in precision between guns originally assembled with MILSPEC grease and then disassembled, cleaned and bedded with glue. There's not much that you can say with guns assembled from scratch with glue. It's all about the relative difference between glue and grease, all other things being equal.

Comment

• LWP
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

Just thought I'd throw this in, purchased one of these yesterday. Updated my 20 something year old range finder. http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...rod107245.aspx Just encase anybody was looking for one at a great price.

Comment

• Jakal
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

I just lap and forego the loktite. Never really had any issues after lapping. I use Aeroshell grease on the barrel nut threads and torque the barrel nut tightening, looseing, tightening until I get my spec.
                          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Keef
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2017

I recently bought a leupold rx-650. Glad I kept the box, will be returning it. Just ordered the above range finder. 1760yrds!! Thank you LWP for heads up.

Comment

• funnelcake
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2017

I think the annealing temp on 7075 (and 6061) is well above 450-degrees. The extension gets "warm" so measuring it would seem like good data to have. x2 on Klem's last post...as long as it sticks around (pun intended) in whatever form it's probably doing something.

I'm curious now...next time we get one of the brothers FA dealer samples out and dump a few Magpul 60's through it I'll infared a couple places and post back.

Comment

• LWP
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2017

No problem, hope they work well. They should because it's definitely an up grade from my old 800yd Simmons. Good brand and quality plus the WiFi capability and later maybe I'll add the wind meter up grade. We'll see!

Comment

Working...
                                X