• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
    I bought the brownell tool, also brownell lapping compound and used my drill at a low speed to lap. May have screwed up as I lapped with the receiver horizontal not vertical as i did not want any lapping compound to run down the tool and lap the inside of the receiver but what do I know. The Odin works 20 incher shot well
    While what LRPF52 said about vertical orientation of the upper while lapping has its merits, my lapping tool has a very good fit in all the uppers I've lapped. For that reason, I would have no qualms about mounting any future uppers in the traditional horizontal position. I get measurably straight surfaces and less chance of lapping compound invading the upper's interior. In the case of my tool, it has a definite recessed section which prevents the pilot section from coming anywhere near the receiver face and the lapping compound.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• 82HALO
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

I thought the same thing, so I put the receiver vertical facing down and went in from the bottom.

Comment

• dreadpirate
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2017

I did the same thing to my AR Grendel; and polished the feed ramps as well. Will post range results.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I have never lapped or glue-bedded but am thinking about trying it. Here's a question for you...

How do you insert the barrel extension with glue on it without it ending up on the face of the receiver? I'm thinking if the barrel is a reasonable fit it will push the glue onto the face where you don't want it. And if you put less glue on the extension to avoid this surely you could end up with air gaps, so not enough support? Do you push it in most of the way and then clean the excess off the receiver face with a cotton bud, prior to the final seating?

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

I did mine verticle but basically just like this with a couple paper towels.

Put the barrel in verticle, cleaned the dripping stuff and put on the barrel nut to hold in place for 24 hours.
            Last edited by Bigs28; 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

Jump too 4:15 and watch from the on how i lapped.

Comment

• 82HALO
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

I put the locktite in the barrel extension and turned the the barrel as it slid into the receiver. I wiped any excess as the barrel went in, then locked it down with the barrel nut. Didn't touch it for 24 hrs,

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post

Put the barrel in verticle, cleaned the dripping stuff and put on the barrel nut to hold in place for 24 hours.
                  OK thanks for that...I see after carefully lapping the face it now has Loktite on it. The paper towels in the video were only used to catch the excess and clean the threads, but not the face of the receiver.

The guy smears the Loktite on the outside of the barrel extension, so the excess gets pushed to the front of the receiver as the two parts come together. There has to be a thin film of glue now between the face and the shoulder of the barrel extension.

What if the Loktite was applied to the inside of the receiver only? The excess then gets pushed into the receiver and not on critical surface of the shoulder. Harder to clean the excess because you've got to get into the receiver but at least there's less chance it ends up on the carefully lapped receiver face.

Comment

• brian y
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

I spun by hand with the upper verticle with wheeler 320 grit lapping compound. I bought my lapping tool here

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ar-to...ing&results=13
                    That is the lapping tool I bought and I have 2 Aero uppers I picked up last year and this lapping tool jams when I tried to use it. It will only go in about 1-2 " and then sticks . I tried using it with slip 2000 but it will not go in and it will not turn even using a drill!!. I do not know what I am doing wrong so any help would be appreciated.
                    NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• just_john
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2012

Klem, there is no issue with a little loctite on the face of the receiver. The point of lapping and loctiting is to facilitate a "single piece of metal" barrel thru receiver. If there is a little loctite on the face ( after cleaning off the excess), when the barrel nut is torqued down, it just helps to insure that there is no slack anywhere between the barrel and receiver. If there is any space or gap anywhere in this transitional area, there is opportunity for movement at ignition which creates an upredictable shot to shot variation. Just remember that if a little loctite is a good thing, a lot of it isn't!

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

Brian if your inserting it in the same direction as my post 36 then your not doing anything wrong. If it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit. Mine was snug going in but it went in no problem. Contact Pacific tool and tell them the lapping tool doesn't fit and see what they say.

Comment

• just_john
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2012

I have gotten uppers that had been ceracoated and the internals were not masked before applyign the coating. The result was that the inside diamater was reduced to almost "too small" with excess material. If yours is ceracoated, the tool may not be the problem.

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Put the barrel in vertical, cleaned the dripping stuff and put on the barrel nut to hold in place for 24 hours.
                            What I noticed with his liberal application of blue, most comes off when he slid the barrel in the receiver, seems to me an thin application of blue in the receiver and on the ext. would be better. That said, while he wiped blue off the threads it didn't appear he used any grease on threads prior to torquing the nut so it's likely that nut with be a pain to remove if that day ever comes as there has to be some lock-tite on the threading.

Personally a barrel fit such as that really should have a shim as that fit is what I'd call sloppy.

Comment

• Bigs28
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2016

I used the barrel nut to hold in place for 24 hours. Then removed added grease and torqued back on.

Comment

• brian y
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                                I have gotten uppers that had been ceracoated and the internals were not masked before applyign the coating. The result was that the inside diamater was reduced to almost "too small" with excess material. If yours is ceracoated, the tool may not be the problem.
                                These are hard coat anodized but you can see from the pics the tool goes in when inserted from the other end and sticks when inserted in the proper end;
                                I do not know if you can tell from the second photo but it seems there is too much material and it is butting up to it and stopping the tool from going in, and before anyone asks this is not how I was planning on using the tool, I just put it in the vise this way to take the pics lol.

NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

Working...
                                X