• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Best Methadology for Bench Shooting.

I recently found a 100yrd indoor range and conducted my first load ladder test. I felt like my own shooting abilities affected the groups more than I would've liked. I was using a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest and a small squeeze bag rear rest. I kept everything as low to the bench as I could, found and used my natural point of aim, kept my feet flat on the ground, focused on breathing, trigger control, consistency, etc but I still felt like I was influencing the groups a little more than I would've liked. I'm currently seeking a lighter trigger and possibly a more vertical grip with a palm rest to aid in having as little influence as possible.

My question is this - Aside from a high dollar mechanical rest, what is the best way to test your reloads? If it's "cheating" for shooting groups I don't care - I am shooting for the sole purpose of seeing which of the loads in my ladder is best so that I can load up the most accurate rounds. Once I'm confident in my reloads using the ideal rest set up, I'll go back to the fundamentals and really hone my shooting skills with full confidence in the ammo and no question that larger group sizes are due to my shooting and not my ammo.

Thanks all for your help!

Chris
  • BigStickSmoker
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2015

Chris

I know how you feel. Mostly, because I have been there and done that.

I have a variety of rests: Caldwell front ( I cheat the back with a hand lock/cheek weld from my early days) a Dog-Gone Good heavy bench rest, and the Caldwell Lead Sled to which I would add 50 lbs.

I can shoot well or badly off of either depending on my mental state. So I am just adding a note that sometimes we just need to do the ladders a time or two because no matter how steady we "think" we are...there are a variety of circumstances inside that can impact our shooting mechanics more than what we are using.

I too have been indoors in Wichita at a 100 yard indoor range and shot lights out and the next time not so well. All the same except for my mental state and the impact it had on my shooting mechanics.

Keep at it, Brother!!!

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
      I recently found a 100yrd indoor range and conducted my first load ladder test. I felt like my own shooting abilities affected the groups more than I would've liked. I was using a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest and a small squeeze bag rear rest. I kept everything as low to the bench as I could, found and used my natural point of aim, kept my feet flat on the ground, focused on breathing, trigger control, consistency, etc but I still felt like I was influencing the groups a little more than I would've liked. I'm currently seeking a lighter trigger and possibly a more vertical grip with a palm rest to aid in having as little influence as possible.

My question is this - Aside from a high dollar mechanical rest, what is the best way to test your reloads? If it's "cheating" for shooting groups I don't care - I am shooting for the sole purpose of seeing which of the loads in my ladder is best so that I can load up the most accurate rounds. Once I'm confident in my reloads using the ideal rest set up, I'll go back to the fundamentals and really hone my shooting skills with full confidence in the ammo and no question that larger group sizes are due to my shooting and not my ammo.

Thanks all for your help!

Chris
      Chris:

Sounds to me like you were focusing on everything except for shooting clean shots.

How about finding a bench position where you are the most comfortable and that allows you to have a absolutely solid hold on the rifle so it doesn't move much out of position when you shoot; allows you to look through your optic without any stress on your head, shoulders, eyes; and allows you a grip where you have a strong and confident trigger pull.

There is no reason to have a low position if a higher one gives you a better hold and more confidence in your shots. I too have heard guy say to have both feet flat on the ground. Fine, as long as it too assists you in a strong, powerful, position.

If you even have to think about your feet, your breathing, your trigger finger, or 'consistency', you are not focusing on pulling a trigger when your eyes see a good sight picture. I also bet you are taking way too long to shoot five shots. I figure 15 seconds with a gas gun is adequate and 20 seconds for five shots is max.

You can do one thing at one time perfectly, two things at one time probably OK but once you get over two things that take your attention, you will fail.

So, once you build a bench position that you are confident will keep that rifle secured to your body while you blast, you no longer need to concern yourself with said position. So you can use a very limited attention ability to focus on what needs to be done for good shots. To maintain a solid sight picture through the entire shot. No need to think about a shot you just took, only the shot you are taking. Called 'living in the moment'.

Get some blasting ammo and use it until you are comfortable with this method of shooting and have tested out a more solid and confident position. May take you five or so strings of five but once you see that you can do it and that your groups are better than you expected, go to the good stuff.

LR55

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Indoor ranges are notoriously bad for building a good position in most cases, unless they have cement benches with your own, isolated area.

Even the steel frame benches and tables that are becoming more popular at indoor ranges are wobbly left to right, and will show a lot of horizontal strings that I don't see on cement benches.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Indoor ranges are notoriously bad for building a good position in most cases, unless they have cement benches with your own, isolated area.

Even the steel frame benches and tables that are becoming more popular at indoor ranges are wobbly left to right, and will show a lot of horizontal strings that I don't see on cement benches.
          I was actually pretty happy with their benches. This range was RITZY. There were rolling stools at each bench which was obviously not ideal so I swapped it out with a relatively stable chair.

I'll try a higher shooting position next time. I'm 6'2" so using the lowest position possible may not have been ideal. I should note that I also spent some time perfecting the parallax and used a mounted bubble level to keep the scope consistently level. I'm thinking of trying a few groups with my Harris bipod next time instead of the Rock Jr. front rest - what's the consensus on shooting an AR with bipod?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

I will x2 on the lowest position might not be the best postion.

I'm 6' foot myself and the range's around my house all have good benches but I have found that a low postion I normally use with a bolt gun just doesn't work well with my ar, I have been useing a very big and tall sand bag for front rest and a sand sock for rear rest lately and it has been working a lot better for me. Let's me set up higher off the bench and makes it more comfortable for me. Feels better in my neck and lets my arm be more inline with the rifle as compared to useing a low postion with a bolt rifle.

Only draw back is the bags way a ton when carrying them from the truck to the bench.

Comment

Working...
            X