• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post
    ... Until 4 years ago I was a straight bolt action guy, but after laying waste to my scope after a fall during a hunt in Montana, I've gone AR....
    I don't see how breaking your scope was the bolt gun's fault? Or am I misinterpreting this? Perhaps you broke the scope and used the opportunity to switch platforms completely? Maybe you just want to mix it up? I hunted mule deer for the first time this year with an AR, mostly just because I had the Grendel and I thought it would be a neat change of pace. I can't say I'd do the same with elk.

Anyhow, it looks like you have your mind made up about using an AR but since you asked, my elk setup is a 30-06 Savage 110 with 180gr Nosler Trophy Hunters. It seems like weight savings are pretty important to you so I don't quite understand why you're so quick to ditch the bolt? I love my Grendel AR but I would personally feel undergunned and unnecessarily weighed down elk hunting with it (although it is a 20" rifle platform). Quick follow-up shots are a huge factor though that would probably help ease my concern, but still - I'm not sure I would have complete confidence in the Grendel. Just my own humble opinion with only one elk hunt under my belt.

There are lots of awesome bolt actions available, some even in the sub-5lb category. The Kimber Mountain Ascent and Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon have really caught my eye, but my Savage does just fine. It seems like you have had quite a run with 15 elk using bolt guns - why fix it if it ain't broke? Especially if weight is important? Just my 2 cents - hope you don't mind. Happy hunting, -Chris

Edit - to weigh in on some of your questions: I would recommend using a thread protector versus a brake. I went from a brake to a thread protector on my fluted 20" Grendel and it really improved the balance and maneuverability as well as shaved off quite a bit of weight. I second LRRP that I wouldn't bother with an adjustable gas block for a rifle gas length hunting setup and that you're good with your current handguard and bolt carrier. Check out Aero Precision's Ultralight scope mounts - I swapped from an ADM to one of these and the weight savings are very noticeable yet the thing is rock solid. Don't let the low price dissuade you - these are well proven. On fluting - my research has found that fluting will somewhat compromise barrel rigidity, but IMO it is worth it for the weight savings on a mountain hunting gun, especially a 20". Since you're shooting 300yrds and in, are willing to pay for it, and are trying to keep it light, I would definitely recommend the fluting.
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 05-18-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      Also tagged. I may leave my creed at home and take 2 Grendels...
      I think 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor in a hunting party are a great pair to have together.

For the fast shots within a few hundred yards on limited windows, a lightweight 6.5 Grendel makes a lot of sense because you can get the shot in without needing a spotter, since you can see your own hit.

For the shots where you have more time and distance, which usually go together, settle in the Creedmoor with someone spotting for him or her and make that shot after a good ballistic solution has been established.

The last time I went, we used 2 6.5 Grendels, 2 7mm Rem Mags, and a Remington semi auto .30-06 in our party.

Another good combo would be 7mm-08 and 6.5 Grendel if you didn't have a 6.5 CM.

I don't ever recall hunting alone other than waterfowl, and every medium game or large game hunt I've been on involved several of us with a few different rifles.

The industry is going through several major evolutions right now with the way people are just learning about caliber selection, action types going more and more to gas guns or bolt guns that are really lightweight precision rifles, and modern ballistics programs enabling shooters to make higher hit probability shots now that we know accurate BCs, have accurate velocity data, handheld programs, weather stations for atmospheric data, and more precision rifle shooting disciplines dominating a lot of the interest in shooting sports. Combined with better bullet technology, and you have a much different generation of hunting compared to how it was back in the last century.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
        Bloodstained
        • May 2017

I changed over to an AR when I had to use my backup gun after a fall with my bolt gun destroyed my scope. Didn't have time to switch over and shoot in a new scope....6 days in Elk camp goes quick....and used a AR in 308, scored, and didn't look back making the 308 primary and the WBY backup.

I've taken enough elk to know what works...and as said earlier, it's good shot placement. It's biology and animals that have a hole in the cardio pulmonary system expire. While I've never lost one, we have had a few that I wish I would have hit better...or missed for that matter....but as I get older, it seems my shots get better, maybe because I know what has to happen so I pass on mor shots and I don't have it in me to giving chase for a couple miles.......having said this, my last bad miss was at 121 yards just a few years ago....swinging in thick dead timber can be a challenge.

I hunt at the same place, with the same group of guys every year. We know the ground and each other and as LR indicated, we are always, at a minimum, in pairs with multiple guns. I'm the only one who carries an AR platform, but I having a feeling that might change. I got the base for my Heavy, my LaRue FDE 7.62 and it's 22" 260 barrel should ship soon. I know this will be a shooter and I really don't see us heading out without it for our LR solution. For most of my shots, the Grendel will fit the bill perfectly.

Made a deal last night for a 18" JP barrel/bolt/gb off the other board. I looked it over and it has a narrow profile, so should be good on weight. I talked to the previous owner and feel good that he did the right things with it and he reports sub MOA performance.

I've got an offer for my complete upper, which I was going to part out, so if it goes through, I'll be doing a my first complete upper. The best made plans.....

I'm going with a 7075 billet receiver and a good ultra lite handguard, not sure about the carrier....anyone have experience with the JP low mass products? Also looking at just getting everything from Precision, as they carry good components and I've gotten good reports on the quality of their stuff. I'll continue updated as I progress.

I had budgeted 1000 and it was looking like I was going to spend the lion share on the barrel and use my existing parts for the rest of the upper. With patience, looking a couple times a day, I was able to pick up the JP barrel/block/bolt and some mags for about half my original budget. I might end up going over a bit, but having sold my 556 upper, I've got a bit more to get more, so I'm not very restricted.

More to follow.
        Last edited by carlhwv; 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM.
        Carl
        NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
        Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
        Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• carlhwv
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

After weeks of collecting parts and reading everything I could on the subject, I've completed my Elk build. Coming in a 8.4lbs, scoped and 10 bullets, here it is. I wouldn't call it a work of art, but if I do my part and I've done OK with the assembly, will work for the purpose it was built. I'll be headed to the range, hopefully it will proof out.

Thanks to those that helped me along, here and in other posts. I couldn't have done it without the support.

IMG_0703.JPG
          IMG_0702.JPG
          Carl
          Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Great looking 6.5 Grendel Carl, let us know how it shoots!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I really like that Noveske billet upper and how it matches with the NSR, lines blend well aesthetically.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

One thing you can look at is the thoracic cavity depth of elk, compared with mule deer, for example.

Someone pointed out that elk have longer legs, but the chest cavities are very similar between the 2 species, even though elk are bigger animals in the rest of their anatomy.

Biggest takeaway with 6.5 Grendel or any cartridge is knowing your capabilities and limitations. A 7mm Mag in the hands of an untrained shooter does not make a long-range capable combo, especially with the majority of the scopes commonly seen on hunting rifles and the manner in which they are mounted.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  I really like that Noveske billet upper and how it matches with the NSR, lines blend well aesthetically.

Thanks. It's actually a SMOS receiver/rail. Pretty sure they make stuff for Noveske. It's balanced great. I'm in conversations with my guide of 10 years on using this for Elk. He isn't convinced yet, even though he knows how I shoot...which isn't out of this world, but hit the "6 gong, first shot, on range day every time..... I was so bummed the other day I put it up for sale, but said the hell with it today and took it down. I've decide just to get really good with it over the next 4 month and knock his socks off with it. Going to try and get some more rounds downrqnge this week. We post what I see.
                  Last edited by carlhwv; 07-20-2017, 02:05 PM.
                  Carl

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Even when deer hunting, I've never gone out alone. I know of nobody other than bow hunters that go out alone for elk, and even then, they will often buddy up and split up some traffic areas, not being that far apart from each other. Kinda a bad situation to be out in the boonies alone if you get hurt in a fall or other emergency.

So we're talking about hunting at least as a pair or a group when elk hunting. The rifles set-up for maximum "merica" are rarely ideal for making close shots due to weight, action length/center of balance issues, and rarely being trained with (if ever) off hand.

A good argument for hunting guides is the team approach with your short swords and long swords. Your chances of getting a hit in the vitals with a lightweight 6.5 Grendel and optics on lower magnification for the short range shots are higher than with grandpa's 7mm Rem Mag, or even the latest and greatest LR hunting magnum with long action and high magnification scope.

For the closer shots, the shooters with the short sword have plenty of killing power to get the job done, while longer shots can be made by the .260s and magnums.

An 18" 6.5 Grendel with the 129gr Nosler ABLR going 2410fps from the muzzle still has over 1200ft-lbs at 400yds, at 8000ft ASL, 59˚ F. 129gr ABLR impact speed would be 2058fps, similar to a 7mm Mag 175gr Core Lokt at 600yds (2085fps impact speed).

The ABLR expands down to 1300fps. The 129gr ABLR from an 18" Grendel actually has less wind drift than a factory Remington Core Lokt 7mm Mag at 2850fps from a 24". If you load one of the better modern bullets with high BC in the 7mm, then it will smoke the Grendel across the board for wind drift, but there are some really common hunting factory loads for 7mm Mag that have terrible BCs for the cartridge's potential.
                    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-21-2017, 04:25 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I to am banking on the 129's for my grendel... and for my creed btw. Our "valley floor" will be 8500-8900 elev and my calc's are saying yeah, 1150-1200+, I'm estimating my max at about 350 yd (for me). I've been working on them plus a 125 partition as a "second" choice. (I like to have a backup, never know when Murphy might strike). The partitions are shooting at ~2500 and 1"/100 yd.
                      ABLR and 130 AB in the creed, 129 sst and 125 partition for the G-gun. Also planning on a cow elk tag b/c the bull/ES tags are all gone.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

Looks really good! Any range reports?

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

I still have some practicing to do. I changed over from a collapsible stock to a fixed (Magpul), which eliminated some flex, but also had to add that JP centerless spring and Spike's 4.3 oz heavy buffer. That's what the "JP" and the "S" are all about.
                          But shooting my 129s yesterday, did give some decent results w/e of my flyers. My last 2 sets after all the tweaking were 0.408 and 0.662 (top center and right).
                          In the grendel the 129 sst is running about 2410. I'm having trouble getting a node for the ABLR so I've moved its use over to the CM.

65GA-129sst-0721.jpg
                          Last edited by grayfox; 07-22-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

I should have some 65 CM results tomorrow; taking that guy over to the range Sunday.

Comment

• carlhwv
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2017

The group where you are on are on. I think you have a real good shooter. Wponder how much I'll loose with 4 less inches. From what I read it sounds like it should be too much it's the right powder, as 18" seems to be tha magic number for fairly complete burn.

I've been going back and forth about reloading...haven't done it since the 80's, but have some equipment that I've been gathering. Got the reloading books. If my buddy doesn't get monignsoon...he is my reloaded...I'm just going to have to bite the bullet......just a lot of money for everything and I just don't shoot enough to justify it. I seem to be able to find range buddies that hook me up, but I'm th only one with a Grendel, as most of th guys run bolt guns. I can seem to find anyone selling good hunting loads, but I'm guessing that might change pretty soon as wel. I've got 500 of elds coming next week to get some trigger time while I figure the rest out. Still, Novhickory and I need ev rything sorted by then
                              Carl

Comment

• Kilco
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2016

That's a beautiful setup! Really like your rifle. Looking forward to your hunt and some pictures.

Someday I would like to take my father on an elk hunt.. there is one place in Maine where they have elk and red stag, but you pay a small fortune to shoot one, and it's not really "hunting. I love the stalk.

Comment

Working...
                                X