• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlhwv
    Bloodstained
    • May 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
    That's a beautiful setup! Really like your rifle. Looking forward to your hunt and some pictures.

Someday I would like to take my father on an elk hunt.. there is one place in Maine where they have elk and red stag, but you pay a small fortune to shoot one, and it's not really "hunting. I love the stalk.
    Thanks. It's a bit of a Frakengun, but the importparts fit well and I have a perfect cheek weld. I like the LaRue grip, but it didn't feel right so I swapped back to the Magpul.

An Elk hunt is a great experience. If you plan it out, there are places out west that range from open meadows at the foothills to full blown might mountain hunts. We hunt close to Yellowstone Park in Montana. Unlike a lot of areas, we have road access from the valley floor to 8000ft. It helps, but it still is a hike to get over th top into where the larger bulls are at the time of year we are there.

If you are coming from sea level, the you toughest part is breathing. Have good cardio helps and if you can do it, spending a couple extra days at altitude on th front end of a trip helps as well. If you really want to do it, plan a year in advance, research the options available, and make it a mission to get in the best physical shape possible. I'm going to be 55 this year and I can tell you it gets harder each year. We don't hunt a real easy area, but it's not too tough either. I love the time I get to spend doing it, and getting a shot on a big one is a bonus.
    Carl
    NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
    Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
    Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

Working...
    X