• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cole Dedhand
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

New to Grendel

I've been a firearms enthusiast for over 40 years from the time I got my first BB gun. Before that really.

Bought my first 22 when I was 16 with money I made hauling hay.

Joined the USMC when I was 17. Did 7 years and that was enough.

I have some handguns. I have some shotguns. But rifles are my passion. Modern Sporting Rifles of any flavor. AKs, ARs, FALs, any semi-auto sporting rifle.

For the most part I've been an action shooter, and have stayed within 300 yards. I've done some 2-gun shooting and I enjoy that but the entire day spent at a match for 10 minutes of actual shooting time has kept me from making it a regular thing.

A while back I bought an SPR AR upper (18" 223 Wylde), put a 1-6 Strike Eagle scope on it, and started playing with 77gr loads. The range I shoot at is a 300 yard range but there are steel targets on the hill that go out to 700 yards. So I moved from shooting 300 yards at a 6" plate to shooting 700 yards at a 24" plate (I think it's 24"). The real challenge was that my scope bdc stops at 600 yards so I was having to do kentucky holdover at 700. Still getting hits was surprisingly easy (light wind blowing at 0 degrees).

So I start thinking the SPR needs a better scope if I'm going to shoot 700 yards. And then I thought well if I'm going to get a dedicated long range scope, might as well put it on a dedicated long range upper chambered in something more suitable. And that is 6.5 Grendel if I want to stay in the AR15 platform.

So I think I've settled on a 20" upper from grendelhunter.com. I'll order when the gun fund allows. Hopefully a month or so.

And then I have to start saving for the glass. ATM I'm thinking SWFA SS 3-15. I'm tempted by the fixed 10X because of price. I'd be able to buy it sooner. But the flexibility of the variable is hard to give up.

So that's why I'm here. To pick the brains of those who have been using the Grendel and hopefully avoid stupid mistakes.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Cole Dedhand! Sounds like a good plan for using a 20" 6.5 Grendel. Many forum members are very satisfied with their SWFA Scopes.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan. Don't limit your opportunities for the sake of a few bucks. There is too much fun to be had for only a few more dollars.

Comment

• Cole Dedhand
        Unwashed
        • May 2017

Well the more I think about it and the more I read about it and try to be at least somewhat practical, I realize that a dedicated long range rig is limiting the usefulness of the cartridge.

I'm now leaning more towards a Jack of all Trades rig. Usable from powder burn distance to 800 yards. An 18" barrel and a 1-6 or 1-8 variable with a reticle usable at long range without spinning.

I've been looking at the Primary Arms 1-8. The ACSS is surprisingly close for the Grendel. Also looking at the Athlon Midas 1-6. The Midas reticle is a true MIL reticle.

Obviously I'd prefer the high-end versions of those two scopes but that kind of money is hard to justify when there are bills to pay.

Comment

• brassbrite
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

Welcome

Comment

• ah1whiskey
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

you will like the 6.5G!

it is the best all around for a cal conversion.

Comment

• Red Dawn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.
              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

Working...
              X