• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clays23
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

New to reloading, bullets shaving while seating

Hey guys I am still new to the reloading process and encountered a bit of an issue on my initial loads. When I seat my bullets for my grendel and 308 win the bullets on some are shaving slightly against the case. I removed the shavings and have purchased a lyman vld inside chamfer tool as I believe that will resolve the issue. My question is are these rounds still safe to shoot or will there be too much increased pressure due to increased neck tension?
    Joshua 1:9
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I had a few of those rounds when I first started loading 40+ years ago, remove the little shaved copper and shoot them.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Shooting will be fine. This happens mostly to flat-base but can be on boat tails too. Use the VLD chamfer on all brass, even the new brass. on new brass the mfg process sometimes leaves little nubs on the inner edge of the case lip. for new cases I neck size them and then inner chamfer with the VLD (3 or 4 inner twists), leaves a nice gradual interior slope for the bullet to follow.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Kmon and Grayfox are shooting straight. A couple times I got lazy about chamfering and reaming, and was blessed with some little copper donuts and semi-circles. The rounds shot fine, with no discernible changes to pressures or accuracy. Now I chamfer (lightly) all new brass and (of course) any time after case necks have been trimmed.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Clays23
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Sweet, good to know. Thanks guys!!
          Joshua 1:9

Comment

Working...
          X