• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matkal
    Bloodstained
    • May 2014

Help me choose a 16" barrel

I've decided to turn this rifle http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...et-upper-build (I'll be selling the barrel w/gas block and gas tube and harris bi-pod) into a lightweight. I want something to carry around in the woods for deer and hogs.

I've narrowed it down to these two but am open to others in the $300 range.
    6.5 Grendel Barrel 16' ULTRAlite Intermid, includes gas tube, 1:8 Twist, made from 416R stainless steel, hand lapped.

shopalexanderarms.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, shopalexanderarms.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I started out looking for medium to HBAR in 16" as I wanted to balance light weight with accuracy but it seems that the Odin and the AA are capable of sub MOA. I also want to stick with the .136 bolt
  • kevperro
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Pick your flavor.

Comment

• Ditcher
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

If you can live with the oddball 9/16x24 threading I would go with the AA barrel.
      If you want the lightest build or stick with standard threading then Odin will be the one to go with.

I plan on getting the AA barrel my self unless I find a great deal on something else.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

I just posted a build with the 16" Odin works barrel and bcg kit and couldn't be happier. Comes with a MOA guarantee, normal 5/8x24 threads, ILGS, gas tube and tunable gas block. All great quality. Mine is shooting everything at about 1", with some handloads doing better. Uses a true Grendel chamber and a .136 bolt. The whole rifle with optic and loaded mag weighs 7.5 pounds

One thing I liked about the AA barrel though is the 1:7.5 twist.. not so much for stability, bit that terminal "auger" effect.. Alot of the AA barrels seem to have a short chamber issue going on lately.. They are coming good for it if you have an issue, just something to keep in mind.. LR-52 is getting crazy good velocities with his AA 16"..
        Last edited by Kilco; 05-06-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Kilco your post you made tossed me over the edge and I went with the ultra light Odin complete upper combo from DS Arms in stock for $630 shipped. I had an AA barrel on order but decided to cancel after 4 weeks when it was mentioned it would likely be another 4+ till I might see it. While I had most everything else to build, it was hard to beat that combo on price when priced out individually and my anticipation was growing on me.

For me purchasing the pre-built only opens up the opportunity to build something else with the parts I already have on hand, whether I go short or longer will be the several hundred dollar question.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
            Kilco your post you made tossed me over the edge and I went with the ultra light Odin complete upper combo from DS Arms in stock for $630 shipped. I had an AA barrel on order but decided to cancel after 4 weeks when it was mentioned it would likely be another 4+ till I might see it. While I had most everything else to build, it was hard to beat that combo on price when priced out individually and my anticipation was growing on me.

For me purchasing the pre-built only opens up the opportunity to build something else with the parts I already have on hand, whether I go short or longer will be the several hundred dollar question.
            I don't think you will be disappointed! Like you, I had alot of parts already... but you read about so many horror stories of parts not functioning properly once assembled.. The Odin Works kit wad really top notch stuff. The way the tunable gas block goes on with marks to indicate proper alignment, let alone the tunability of the tunable gas block really pleased me..

Take your extra parts and think on a 50 beowulf to knock trees over! Or my personal fav (besides the Grendel) and HIGHLY under rated AR cartridge the 204 ruger. I have no idea why anyone would roll with a 22 Nosler when the 204 has been available for years and functions with factory mags and bolt.. I'm spitting 39gr blitzkings 3900 fps out of a 26" tube with reloader 10x... and a .290 BC... run those numbers against any 22 cal combo in the AR15 platform and you will scratch your head as well.

Comment

• matkal
              Bloodstained
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
              I don't think you will be disappointed! Like you, I had alot of parts already... but you read about so many horror stories of parts not functioning properly once assembled.. The Odin Works kit wad really top notch stuff. The way the tunable gas block goes on with marks to indicate proper alignment, let alone the tunability of the tunable gas block really pleased me..

Take your extra parts and think on a 50 beowulf to knock trees over! Or my personal fav (besides the Grendel) and HIGHLY under rated AR cartridge the 204 ruger. I have no idea why anyone would roll with a 22 Nosler when the 204 has been available for years and functions with factory mags and bolt.. I'm spitting 39gr blitzkings 3900 fps out of a 26" tube with reloader 10x... and a .290 BC... run those numbers against any 22 cal combo in the AR15 platform and you will scratch your head as well.
              It's a sickness. LOL Get the CDC to call it a disease and we can all get disability and get paid to build AR's!

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Lmao!!! Given today's "disabilities" we probably have a good chance.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

That term often goes hand in hand with "Loss of firearm ownership". Careful how you toss it around.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Ditcher
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post

Wow possible 8 weeks for a barrel that's crazy. Wish Odin would have a barrel kit with bolt only and not the whole BCG.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

My 22 Nosler is pushing a 75 grain Berger VLD with a Litz G7 of 0.218 (same as a 30 cal 168 gr SMK) at 2900 out of an 18" barrel. Significantly outshot my 308 RPR in some superfunk wind today out to 750 (the 200 and 400 yard flags were often blowing in the opposite directions.) But it's all good - I chose 458 Socom over 50 Beowulf as insurance against elephants ever turning into zombies.
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• matkal
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
                        Wow possible 8 weeks for a barrel that's crazy. Wish Odin would have a barrel kit with bolt only and not the whole BCG.
                        My thoughts exactly.

I'm going to call Odin today and see if they'll make a 16" in their regular(?) profile. If not I'll more than likely order the ultralight.

Update: called them, they don't do one offs so ultra light it is.
                        Last edited by matkal; 05-08-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Ditcher
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by matkal View Post
                          My thoughts exactly.

I'm going to call Odin today and see if they'll make a 16" in their regular(?) profile. If not I'll more than likely order the ultralight.

Update: called them, they don't do one offs so ultra light it is.
                          Is the Ultra light considered a pencil barrel?

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

This is what my 16" Odin Works ultralite grouped like at 750 yards. Three were pretty tight, even with the 4th shot its still very respectable. It's shoots very consistent, and the barrel profile doesn't seem to hinder accuracy as much as I thought it would. Now I'm sure a heavy profile could do better longer, but I'm pretty damn pleased with this kit. Even at 810 yards it was shooting drama free.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                              My 22 Nosler is pushing a 75 grain Berger VLD with a Litz G7 of 0.218 (same as a 30 cal 168 gr SMK) at 2900 out of an 18" barrel. Significantly outshot my 308 RPR in some superfunk wind today out to 750 (the 200 and 400 yard flags were often blowing in the opposite directions.) But it's all good - I chose 458 Socom over 50 Beowulf as insurance against elephants ever turning into zombies.
                              Won't knock you for the 458 SOCOM, it's certainly a awesome round as well.

How is your brass holding up on the 22 Nosler? I've found Nosler brass to be rather soft, and read some reports of ejector swipes showing prematurely.. I wish wish wish they would have parented with the Grendel case... that way we could have been able to use the really juicy 22 cal bullets... 75/80gr ELD and such... I was under the assumption that due to OAL constraints the 22 Nosler was limited to the same bullets as the 5.56.

Comment

Working...
                              X