• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swimmer
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

antelope ammo

Need recommendations for a 6.5 Grendel round for Wyoming antelope. Thinking of either Hornady SST or Hornady AAT? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

JMO I would think the 123SST would be plenty. Flat shooting, fast enough and has killed most everything you can legally shoot at. If you reload at some point you can even get an extra little more punch out of her. BANG BANG!!

Plus they do well in the wind.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Pronghorn are not that hard to kill. SST, Amax or Hornady Black factory loads will work fine for them.

Comment

• pajasonc
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

For pronghorn I think I would use the amax. Little softer than the sst and a good bc.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

123gr ELD-M as well. A former member here shot an antelope at 752yds with 123gr AMAX, DRT.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pkcorc30
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2016

Swimmer:
            Do you reload or are you restricted to factory ammo? How often are you able to shoot your weapon and at what ranges? I started taking pronghorns in 2009 with a 24" AA barrel in a home build. I don't hold myself out as an expert either in the Grendel or in speed goat hunting but I do have some practical experience. My hunting load has always been a 120 gr. Nosler ballistic tip over 30.6 gr. Accurate 2520, Lapua brass & CCI 450 primer. This load groups about 3/4 moa at 200 yds. for me; muzzle velocity is 2600 fps. My furthest kill shot has been 518 yards cold bore which severed the spine behind the shoulder blades and anchored the animal.
            There are many great game rounds in 6.5, everyone has his favorite. I would suggest some trigger time to find one that will group around moa from your rifle and do some distance work to know where your point of impact will be at the ranges you feel confident shooting at.
            Good Luck and may the tag lottery gods smile upon you!
            pkcorc30

Comment

Working...
            X