• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sk8inrj1
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

My Odin Works 20" Build

Here's my first Grendel build
    20170507_105828_HDR-1328x747.jpg20170507_105355_HDR-1328x747.jpg20170507_105503_HDR-1328x747.jpg
    And the parts list:
    • Odin Works 6.5 Grendel 20" DMR barrel (bedded with rocksett) with matching odin works BCG
    • Precision armament M4-72 .308 muzzle brake(installed with brownells shims and rocksett)
    • Odin Works clamp-on adjustable gas block (bedded with rocksett)
    • Aero Precision upper without FA (lapped front face)
    • ALG 15" handguard
    • 80% forged Cerro lower
    • Geissele SSA/E trigger
    • KNS gen G pins
    • V Seven titanium pivot pin, take down pin, buffer retainer, grip screw, mag catch and ambi safety
    • V Seven lightened steel bolt catch
    • DPMS standard rifle buffer tube and buffer
    • JP enhanced buffer spring and one piece spiral gas ring
    • Magpul fixed rifle stock
    • Warne 20MOA scope mount
    • SWFA SS 3-15 FFP MOA scope
    • SWFA scope level bubble
    • Butler Creek scope caps
    • BCM ambi charging handle
    • Tip top 6-9 bipod
    • Odin Works bipod mount
    • Strike Industries ejection port cover and CA compliant grip
    • Magpul aluminum trigger guard

Upper, lower, trigger guard, scope mount and handguard are cerakoted in midnight burnt bronze. Los Angeles cerakote did an amazing job. The only "gun smithing" I had to do to put the build together was run a .156" reamer through the trigger pin holes in the lower. All other interfaces went together, no problem.

Rifle weighs just a hair under 10 pounds with scope, without bipod and without a mag.

Muzzle velocities with factory hornady ELD-M at 56 degree F were between 2470 and 2510 FPS for the first 130 shots through this 20" odin works barrel.

Shoots awesome with E-Lander 10 round mags and hornady ELD Match. I think the 100 yard groups are about 1 MOA. Next time I get out to the range I'll dial in zero to perfection and shoot some groups. After zeroing, (as much as I could see through my scope and in the rain) I calculated for a 610 yard shot with strelok pro and hit 15" steel first shot! It was giggly fun plinking 15"round steel at 610 yards (doped 16.75MOA)! I think it it has less recoil than my carbine 16" 5.56 AR.

All in all, super happy with my second AR build ever.

Robert
    Last edited by sk8inrj1; 05-09-2017, 11:43 AM.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Sweet! I'm sure the groups will tighten up when your bullet isn't hitting / getting hit by rain drops. Nothing like watching your bullet smack a gong 3/4 of a second after you pull the trigger and then hearing it ring another second and a half or so later. Except for the look on the face of the guy next to you that reads "how did he do that with thAt?"
    Last edited by StoneHendge; 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• jim_bob
      Warrior
      • Jul 2014

Nice looking rifle!

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Nasty rig!! I bet you are very pleased with the final build! I've been very pleased with the Odin Works tubes as well!

My 16" ultralite was about 1 moa consistantly with handloads and hornady black for the first couple hundred rounds. With a little over 300 now my velocity has picked up bit ans accuracy got even better. It's a solid .75moa with 8208 and 123 eld-m and LVR as well.

Comment

• sk8inrj1
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2017

Thanks!
          I am definitely happy with how it turned out.
          I'm not reloading yet, but I'm using a Caldwell picatinny mounted brass catcher to save all my brass.
          I seriously can't wait for the gold medal berger hybrid ammo to be available.

I can recommend the tiptop brand of bipods as a great alternative to harris. The one I have has swivel, notched legs, spring loaded extension and an indexable tightening lever for ~$70.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

Are you experiencing any excessive marks on the headstamp of your brass from the bolt face? I just started shooting an Odin BCG and need to do some polishing on the ejector/extractor so that it doesn't mark up my brass as bad.

Comment

• sk8inrj1
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

I'm not getting any abnormal looking marks on my brass from the bolt face.

Comment

Working...
              X