• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Smoothing Ejector/Extractor Edges on Bolt Face

Shooting factory ammo and across a ladder of reloads using two different powders, I'm getting some noticeable marks on my brass from the extractor and ejector in my Odin Works BCG. Obviously the marks are worse on the hotter loads, but they're even showing up on the very mild loads and factory loads. I used to have an AA bolt and I compared the once-fired factory SST brass from that bolt with the once-fired factory SST brass from the Odin bolt and the Odin bolt has significantly more noticeable markings from the ejector and extractor. The once-fired factory SST's fired with the AA barely had any noticeable markings whereas those fired with the Odin looked like they were getting gouged and swiped pretty good. As you know, both bolts are .136 depth so the bolt itself shouldn't be causing any extra pressure. I used go/no-go gauges with the Odin and it passed just fine. I also measured the headspace of once-fired brass using the hornady headspace comparator and there were no concerns.

SO - I was wondering if anyone has ever tried smoothing/polishing the edges on the parts of the ejector and extractor that form the bolt face and leave these marks? What's the best method?

I'm thinking of using a little bit of lapping compound from my wheeler kit to just barely take the edge off and then depending on how that looks, polishing up those surfaces with flitz. What could go wrong?

I'll try and follow up with pics when I have an opportunity.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Chris, see if this helps:

Hi all, I have seen these pictures here several times before, now that I need them I can't find them..............can someone point me in the right direction for locating these pictures, or the process itself? Thanks Redraider

Comment

• ah1whiskey
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

haven't had any problems with either bolt--but a good idea none the less!!

Comment

Working...
      X