• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

My Howa 6.5 Grendel mini action

Howa 6.5 Grendel 20" HB barreled action.
    MDT LSS chassis
    MDT LSS fixed stock adaptor
    Luth Ar MBA-1 stock
    Warne 20 MOA base
    MIL stock grip
    Vortex 6 - 24 x 50 PST FFP mil/mil scope
    Vortex 0.97" PMR rings (These are too high, swapping out for 0.87")
    Harris bipod

Having a big issue with my cheek weld. As you can notice. I have the scope as far rearward as possible. To be the perfect distance from the scope my cheek is on the very front edge of the cheek weld, it is really only half on. I have a MAGPUL GEN 2 PRS stock in FDE and it looks like the cheek weld is a bit far further forward. I called MBT, LUTH AR and MAGPUL.
    THE GEN 3 PRS STOCK's cheek riser is actually further rearward!

Will shoot it tomorrow.....
    Last edited by lrgrendel; 05-10-2017, 07:00 PM.
  • RockWarrior
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2015

how much does that setup weigh without the scope and bipod?

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

7.7 lbs

Assuming you are concerned by weight you might look at the "Light Weight contour" version. It is also 20".

Just to compare to my Vortex, I put a Nightforce and a cheap Barska on the rifle and still could not get a good "eye relief" with this stock and base set up. Bit frustrating....I do think the MAGPUL PRS GEN 2 will work though.

Comment

• RockWarrior
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2015

thanks for the weight. I just wanted to get an idea of how much weight the chassis added to the mini.

Comment

• RockWarrior
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2015

Very nice looking rifle by the way. I find myself shooting my wife's mini more often than not and was considering building something similar to yours.

Comment

• jim_bob
            Warrior
            • Jul 2014

Nice rifle and NICE picture!

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Shot it today

Shot it today. Pretty happy. 3 shot groups don't mean much but 28.0 looks promising.

The stock is NOT compatable with this set up, I will try a PRS next..

The trigger is difinately a "hunting" type trigger. Pity there is no after market.....

I will also swap out the "mil spec" grip, uncomfortable....

Other wise I am pretty impressed. If I can duplicate these results with 5 shot groups I have a shooter....

100 yds.
              For reference the red circle is 1/2"
              4 groups out of 7 measure less than an inch. (28.0 grains being the best)
              Last edited by lrgrendel; 05-12-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

You're having the same luck I am. 2 shots close then a third one an inch away. Now I know it probably isn't because the barrel doesn't have enough 'float'.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Hunter307
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                  You're having the same luck I am. 2 shots close then a third one an inch away. Now I know it probably isn't because the barrel doesn't have enough 'float'.

Thanks, Dinny
                  Same here

Comment

• nuthead
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

i think its a bedding issue

Comment

• Hunter307
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                      i think its a bedding issue
                      Probably.

Comment

• Dinny
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

I have an AT-ONE stock on order and plan to have it glass and pillar bedded. I'll see if that fixes it, but can't imagine the OP's chassis stock is any less stable.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

Part 2

Completed the ladder test with some groups at 0.3 grain increments. The 3 in the same hole from my first time out was 28.0 grains. This photo was from my second time out and was the best of the 5 shot groups at 0.6" (28.1 grains)

I am very pleased.

The Magpul PRS cheek weld was much better as you can see.
                          The Magpul grip does not fit properly with that extended piece on the backside.
                          Last edited by lrgrendel; 05-19-2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• Nodak
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

I contimplated the same stock but after looking and trying I went the CTR way with the high cheek riser. These chassis just don't like fixed stocks. I am actually in the works of finishing threading the hole for buffer tube. That way I can screw it in another 1/2"-3/4" and will cut the buffer tube back little. I'm hoping that'll allow me a folding adapter and keep LOP short. Try some Wolf steel case in your too. I was 9 of 10 today shooting Wolf at 12" target at 450yrds. The one miss was me.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Nodak View Post
                              I contimplated the same stock but after looking and trying I went the CTR way with the high cheek riser. These chassis just don't like fixed stocks. I am actually in the works of finishing threading the hole for buffer tube. That way I can screw it in another 1/2"-3/4" and will cut the buffer tube back little. I'm hoping that'll allow me a folding adapter and keep LOP short. Try some Wolf steel case in your too. I was 9 of 10 today shooting Wolf at 12" target at 450yrds. The one miss was me.
                              That is a great idea for an adjustable stock.

With the Gen 2 PRS, it is now working for me. I also won't be keeping that Vortex on mine, so we will see how the new scope fits.

I am hesitant in using that Wolf ammo, as it is supposed to wear the throat a lot faster than with brass cases.
                              I also reload and can load up 123 Amax for almost the same price, well close!

Comment

Working...
                              X