X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barrelcactus
    • Mar 2024

Free 6.5 Grendel Reload Data

A bunch of guys on the facebook site have been compiling data for a couple years. I probably would not trust it as full on reload data (like in a published manual) but it looks interesting and useful none the less.

Load Data This data free and will remain free and never sold. Data was submitted and also taken from detailed posts on several boards. Its not a replacement for factory load data with proper pressure testing. Always work up your own load. Never take someone elses load and just load it and shoot....

Maker Bullet Type Bullet Weight Loaded COAL (In) Powder Powder Weight (Grains) Primer Brass Average Velocity (FPS) Extreme Spread (ES) Group Size (In) Barrel Length (In) Chamber Barrel MFG Shooter
  • barrelcactus

This real world data really shows the dominance of 8208XBR and ARcomp for the Grendel.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Thanks for this. Remind me, again, what is the "Grendel II Satern"?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        If you have to ask, you probably dont want to know. LOL

IIRC, I believe that is the 6.5 grendel chamber with the 6.5 lapua throat that allows easier loadings of longer/heavier bullets.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Ringing a bell. Isn't it a conventional, not compound, throat? Is data for the GII useful for those of us with SAAMI throats?
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• explorecaves
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Ringing a bell. Isn't it a conventional, not compound, throat? Is data for the GII useful for those of us with SAAMI throats?
            IIRC, you are correct in that it is a conventional, non compound, throat. I would imagine it would be close enough to give people a starting point to work up to knowing pressure signs should appear earlier than the GII chambering due to contact with the compound throat sooner than the conventional throat interface.

Comment

• barrelcactus

If you go to the link you'll see more loads i could not get them in to one post. Many more SAAMI loads in the spreadsheet. These are also not all Grendel II many 264 LBC loads. From all the data compareing the loads there does not appear to be a big difference in charges. The OAL seems to be longer on some of the guys loads but others are loading to SAAMI lengths. Other than OAL it seems that they are very close to the same loads.

Comment

• barrelcactus

From a chamber perspective it seems to indicate a preference of extruded powder for longer throats. Is that a personnel preference or the fact that longer throats like the more temp stable powder? Not sure.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Whoa.

"Nosler Custom Comp 123 8208XBR 26.6 CCI-450 Hornady 1.5" (200 yards) 18 6.5 Grendel II AR Stoner/Satern StoneHendge"

The only place anyone could have found that was in a thread here recently. Either that or my dog is out on the World Wide Web talking about what he watches me do at the loading bench while I'm sleeping..... Never chrono' it last fall so I don't even know the velocity let alone the variance (although I hope to revisit in that powder range this weekend)

But the primer I used was a Federal GM205 AR Match. I've never used a CCI-450 - ever. So I would be careful ........
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• barrelcactus

I would hope someone would not be so foolish to take a load off the internet and load and shoot it without a proper work up.

Comment

• barrelcactus

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                      Whoa.

"Nosler Custom Comp 123 8208XBR 26.6 CCI-450 Hornady 1.5" (200 yards) 18 6.5 Grendel II AR Stoner/Satern StoneHendge"

The only place anyone could have found that was in a thread here recently. Either that or my dog is out on the World Wide Web talking about what he watches me do at the loading bench while I'm sleeping..... Never chrono' it last fall so I don't even know the velocity let alone the variance (although I hope to revisit in that powder range this weekend)

But the primer I used was a Federal GM205 AR Match. I've never used a CCI-450 - ever. So I would be careful ........
                      How do you like those primers are they a thinker cup like the BR4 and the CCI450?

Comment

• Bwild97
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by barrelcactus View Post
                        This real world data really shows the dominance of 8208XBR and ARcomp for the Grendel.
                        I don't think it does. To me it looks like the person collecting the data is only picking XBR and AR Comp data out of powder bias. There are a bunch of powders that work very well in the Grendel. A testament to how awesome this little cartridge really is!!

Comment

• barrelcactus

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                          I don't think it does. To me it looks like the person collecting the data is only picking XBR and AR Comp data out of powder bias. There are a bunch of powders that work very well in the Grendel. A testament to how awesome this little cartridge really is!!
                          You have a cfe223 load listed in the data but yeah some bias could exist on the guy logging it either intentional or unintentional.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Bwild97
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

I hate to revisit this mess again, but long story short the "Grendel II" chambering was spawned after a certain barrel manufacturer short chambered Grendel rifle barrels purchased through a group buy here on this forum, then offered to fix said barrels by "scraping" them. The result was a chamber that had excessive throat/leade, some argued that this was better and the "Grendel II" was born.

Comment

• Bwild97
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Yes! I do believe the data is useful either way!

Comment

Working...
                              X