• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hafast
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Hog Shooting

I just had a very light weight upper built by Precision Firearms for hog hunting. I think I'm going to use the Leupold Hog 1-4 pig-plex-reticle for my sight. I'll be daytime hunting and anticipate shots at 50 to 100 yards at moving hogs. I've never hunted hogs, so I hope I'm not over thinking this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

That should work nicely. On the gun I use for hogs most there is a Vortex Strike Eagle. but something low power for a large field of view sure helps on moving targets or at least to me it does.

I have a couple 1-4X20 Leupolds and though good scopes I prefer 2-7X32 for a bit brighter view on the hogs.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

As I have gotten older, I have come to appreciate increased magnification for helping to make more precise shots. 1-4x will certainly work fine, but if I had a choice, I would go with 2-7x32 or something similar as noted by kmon for the range you listed. You may not need 7x for 50-100 yards, but you are going to find that there will be times when you have hogs at greater distances and need that extra bit of magnification. 2x isn't going to overpower you at short range, but 4x may underpower you for longer shots.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Hafast
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2014

Thanks for the information guys. I do have a 2-7 scope on the shelf. I'll give it a try.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
          Warrior
          • Sep 2015

i have the pig-plex on my LW cav-arms build for a hog buster. it is the small 20mm one. weighs about 8oz.

that said i don't see any reason other than weight to exclude a 2-7x 32 --and some of them are very light as well.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

IIRC the Leupolds 2-7's tip the scales bwtn 9 and 12oz depending on model. Oh i'd like a 2-7 with their firedot as that would make for a fun optic on a moving target. Most 1-4's are illuminated and have weight has a handicap generally starting at about 16oz pre-mount, short of the leupold line up which seems to be fairly light weight in comparison.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

I think you are on the right path. I keep two Grendels in the blind when still hunting. A 24" AA Overwatch fitted with a Nikon 4.5x14 Coyote Special for long shots and a 20" AA Light Hunter with a Burris XTR II 1x8 (replaced a Burris XTR 1x4 when the higher mag version came out) for close in or moving shots. The 20" is my walking varmint gun. The Burris at 1X and the reticle illuminated is REALLY quick on target and follow shots.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

I use a 6-24X50 and 6-20X44 scope for day hunting, and a 1-4 power for night hunting. I am getting older too, and my eyes need all the help they can get.

Comment

• Mdees
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2015

I have not gotten around to hunting with either of my 6.5s yet but for hogs, where I hunt, I prefer a 1-4 with true 1x or irons. To qualify this, I hunt mostly in thick woods or small, acre or less fields, where the action can be fast and the targets are many. I spent many seasons using just an AK or SKS with irons but the last few years I swapped over to a .300blk AR with a Vortex PST 1-4. I keep it on 1x unless I have a longer shot(100 yards or so) and it works well for me both eyes open. This is especially nice since while most hogs are running away I've had a few boars break and come right to me. My night time rig is an old 3x PVS-4 or an anything with a green light attached.

Comment

• Brandi
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2014

I have the Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Hog scope with the illuminated FireDot on my .50 Beowulf. It's an incredible scope and about as perfect as there is for hunting hogs inside 150 yards. I find that past 125 yards the reticle at full magnification covers the entire target (12" target not a full size hog). It's a perfect set up for big bore AR's but with a 6.5 Grendel's range I think these scopes severely limit what you can do with it. It's easily the best choice for a 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf but not for rifles with the ability to stretch past 200 yards.

Now if I could just find a landowner in my area that would let me hunt (we don't have any public land) I'd be golden.
                    Last edited by Brandi; 10-12-2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• roo_ster
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Brandi View Post
                      I have the Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Hog scope with the illuminated FireDot on my .50 Beowulf. It's an incredible scope and about as perfect as there is for hunting hogs inside 150 yards. I find that past 125 yards the reticle at full magnification covers the entire target (12" target not a full size hog). It's a perfect set up for big bore AR's but with a 6.5 Grendel's range I think these scopes severely limit what you can do with it. It's easily the best choice for a 450 Bushmaster, 460 SoCom or .50 Beowulf but not for rifles with the ability to stretch past 200 yards.

Now if I could just find a landowner in my area that would let me hunt (we don't have any public land) I'd be golden.
                      I have that same scope on a CZ550 AM Saf in .375H&H. Great scope for bigger-bore rifles.

I also am fond of Leupold 2-7x scopes. About half the weight of the "patrol" AR-15 oriented 1-4x variables, but still tough as a Leupold.
                      Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                      ----Horace

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

I kinda agree with Brian. At 0-50 yards a red dot like the Holosun 515. For 50-100-150 yards, a red dot in a medium power optical scope like the Minox 1.2x6 would get my vote.

Comment

• Singleshotsam
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2016

I like a reddot for a light, short varmet rig, but I keep the dot at 2.5 mil. It makes 200+ shots MUCH easer, dont likes shots that long, but you take what you can get. made a hit on a yota at 275+, lucky I know but the more i practices the luckier I get. Farm work in spring. wide open, hard to get too close.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

I'm going to try one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti....uts?slotId=14
                            1-6x with illuminated reticle. Looks almost the same as the Primary Arms or Vortex. It's inexpensive and I'm not big on store brands but I've read that the newer Cabelas scopes are made by Vortex. Wish that could be verified.
                            For $150 I'll try it.
                            "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Looks like the Bushnell AR to me.
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X