Did you already own a 6.5 Grendel AR before you bought a bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaps
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

Did you already own a 6.5 Grendel AR before you bought a bolt action?

The reason I ask is that I've recently taken interest in the caliber, and have been reading excellent posts here and elsewhere about the utility of 6.5 Grendel in a bolt-action ... which I found interesting since the round was intentionally designed with the AR in mind.

Did you begin with an AR, love the caliber so much you decided you wanted a bolt action as well?

Or did you hop right in?

In your mind, what are the pros/cons of a bolt action vs a semi in 6.5 Grendel?

I'm an older fella, lifelong gun nut, but new to this particular caliber (although I've played with a lot of different wildcats). I'm drawn to the 6.5 Grendel as it lines up perfectly to all of my preferred rifle/carbine shooting uses, and recoil is starting to matter more than it once did. I also prefer carryin' rifles, not sit in a stand or fire only from prone rifles. Thanks in advance for your replies!

S/F, Chaps
    S/F, Chaps
  • Hunter307
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

Nope. Only a bolt action. Pros? Weight, handling (hunting wise).

Comment

• jkingrph
      Warrior
      • Aug 2014

Yes, actually three, which I built. One a carbine the others large bench type guns. I like to shoot them but I still like a nice bolt or single shot or bolt action.

I'm an older fella, lifelong gun nut, but new to this particular caliber . I'm drawn to the 6.5 Grendel as it lines up perfectly to all of my preferred rifle/carbine shooting uses, and recoil is starting to matter more than it once did. I also prefer carryin' rifles, not sit in a stand or fire only from prone rifles. Thanks in advance for your replies!
      This sums up a lot, I have a little CZ 527 on order, my first in 6.5 Grendel, the one I have had is 22 Hornet. The CZ is much better for carrying, and is less bulky than any of my AR types. I just prefer wood and blued steel as compared to mostly aluminum and plastic, having grown up shooting lever and bolt actions, a Marlin 39a for starters then a Win Mod 70, both of which I still have. from about 65 and 55 years ago respectively.

Having been shooting the 6.5 Grendel about 7 years ago, and not being a hunter of larger game, I think it's ideal. I reload and the bullets are large enough for my stiff fingers to handle, much easier than the small .22 bullets. Early on when brass was not easy to find, and then very expensive, I converter a bunch of 7.62x39 by resizing and fire forming, The loads for fire forming fed and cycled my AR reliably, and gave good accuracy for casual paper punching, not on a par with properly formed cases and ammo put together with more care, but still good for roughly 1.5 MOA if I remember correctly.
      Last edited by jkingrph; 05-13-2017, 11:33 AM.
      Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• FW Conch
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

No...bolt action all the way.

I don't shoot over 300yds, so there's no use burning excess powder or tolerating unnecessary recoil.

I liked the idea of a very efficient pill combined with a proven accurate case design.

Comment

• smcdurmon
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2015

First was an AR.
          Second was a Custom Bolt Action.
          Third was a Custom AR
          Last is a Howa Mini Bolt Action. I'm working on mods to it now before I shoot it.

I'm more of a bolt action guy and just can't get into recreational shooting or hunting with AR's.

I'm kind of a 6.5 Caliber fan and own a few.
          264 Win Mag
          6.5 Creedmoor
          260 Remington
          6.5 Grendel

For a 400yd and closer hunting rifle, I love the Grendel round. Low recoil, cheap to load, accurate, decent ballistics and a hammer on Deer.
          Last edited by smcdurmon; 05-13-2017, 01:22 PM. Reason: Add information

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

When I swapped out the barrel on the CZ527 7.62x39 to the 6.5 Grendel this was my 1st 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 anything. Then I came across a RAR Creedmoor for a good price and decided to give that a go.

Well now over 2 years later i still do not have a AR type weapons of any kind and no strong desire to have a AR of any shape or form. And you know I still have not shot that RAR Creedmoor yet.

Now with the Lapua brass available for the Creedmoor I may have to get out and shoot the Creedmoor b4 the summer is out. We will see. I have never went over a couple of weeks without firing a new to me, firearm prior to picking up the two 7.62 x 39's to converte the one to the Grendel and only 2 other rifles have even remotely held my interest since, 17 HH & a 17 Fireball. all of my favorite rifles are now CZ 527 chambering's.

Comment

• SDguy
              Warrior
              • Oct 2015

Chaps you will do well with a 6.5 Grendel Bolt action

For me and my way of thinking I have taken over 90 percent of my deer inside of 300 yards. Half of the deer I have harvested have been with sticks and strings. So my average is likely less than 100 yards. The bolt action 6.5 Grendel is fun and light weight to carry.

Words i would use to describe my 6.5 grendel bolt action are included below.

Accurate
              Practical
              Efficient
              Great Ballistic coefficient
              more punch than you would expect
              flat shooting
              light weight
              dependable
              Go to cartridge and rifle
              To much gun for varmints & predators - thus the 17 HH & 17 FB. I like to have the option to save pelts.

Comment

• rb288
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

Actually, yes, I did have an AR in 6.5 grendel.
                But, I wanted to hunt with the 6.5 and I just prefer to hunt with bolt actions so I sold my 6.5 upper.
                I currently have...
                2 16" ar's...300blk and 5.56
                2 ar sbr's...10.5" 5.56 and 8.25" 300blk
                9 bolt action rifles......1 7.62x39, 1 6.5 grendel, 1 5.56, 1 .223, 2 300blk (Rem 700 and ruger american), 1 450 bushmaster, 1 .308, 1 .22 lr.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

chaps, as one "older guy to another" ( started collecting SS ( and Grendels ) several years ago ) the Grendel is the ideal solution. Whether bolt or a self-feeder, it is easy to carry thru the woods, it is easy on the back and shoulders when it goes "boom", it is scarry accurate and it is affordable. It will make bug-holes on a target and, if you do your part, can kill almost anything south of the Canadian border at any reasonable range. The rounds are small enough to be managable but large enough to hold on to. It is capable enough for the most serious shooter but easy enough to teach kids and beginning shooters with. Whatever the question, the Grendel is the answer - whether bolt or semi.

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

Yes. I wanted to push the bullet a little faster than a AR bolt would take..So I needed a bolt action to take the pressure.

Comment

• Troutguide
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

I have always been a bolt guy. I wanted lighter with less recoil and the Grendel seemed perfect, after a lot of research I got a Howa bolt in 6.5. Love it! Now I am building an AR for hog hunting where I don't mind a few running, low percentage shots. I still plan on deer hunting with the bolt gun, one good shot is all I need.
                      Last edited by Troutguide; 05-13-2017, 05:51 PM.
                      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• hardtoseeovergut
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2016

First was my single shot bolt XP-100.

Accurate, efficient, long legs, all you need in the eastern US

Comment

• jkingrph
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                          Yes. I wanted to push the bullet a little faster than a AR bolt would take..So I needed a bolt action to take the pressure.
                          That's why I have my 6.5x55.
                          Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• FW Conch
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

I don't need all the push My 260 Rem has...

That's why I have My 6.5 Grendel ;-)) ... in a bolt rifle!

Comment

• chaps
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2017

Thanks for the replies folks, I appreciate your willingness to help a new guy sort it all out.
                              S/F, Chaps

Comment

Working...
                              X