Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did you already own a 6.5 Grendel AR before you bought a bolt action?

Quote Originally Posted by Klem View Post
    Probably a bit exaggerated. I use Quickload in this calibre all the time. Just double-check with the powder manufacturer's loading charts and you are good to go. Do your usual 10% low and work up checking for pressure signs.
    We've done QL comparisons with real pressure trace testing, and QL was off by 10-20ksi.

Good rule of thumb is to not rely on QL for predictions unless you have calibrated it based on a lot of collected data with your rifle.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    I have no doubt QL is off on pressure as has been discussed here many times, what I have found surprising is how often it is extremely close on velocity while being off on pressure.

If you have the equipment to test the pressure and change the QL info to match your data you can get pretty dang good data.

QL to me is just another source of information, it is amazing what you can learn with an open mind about internal ballistics, but like all reloading resources ultimate safety of you loads is up to you.

52 I knew you guys data showed some loads where QL is off by as much as 10,000 psi but didn't know about the 20k psi which is huge.

Ask Joe about QL and Grendel. There probably aren't many people on the planet who have done the amount of QL comparisons with actual pressure data, other than Bill A. (with piezoelectric) Not sure if Bill would even bother with QL.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Interesting thread. I had a 5.56 AR at one point, but never a Grendel upper. Then I got a Howa mini, and now have a dedicated lower awaiting a Grendel upper.

Bloodstained
    I too have the Mini Howa 6.5 Grendel 20" HB and like it a lot. Have only shot 2 different factory loads through it the Hornady 123gr Black and the Hornady123gr SST. The Black worked much better for me. I have been reloading for it with Lapua brass and a number of powder, bullet, primer combos. Trying to make 90gr to 100gr bullets work but so far 120gr and 123gr are working the best. Looking forward to a 6.5 Grendel AR as soon as I figure out what complete upper to buy. I want at least 22" and heavy

Bloodstained
    Also I don't know if you have seen the post by Matt @ LSI on his factory load test but it's worth a look Howa mini action factory load test- results

Gas gun first; looking for a boltie

A lot of good information in this thread. My thanks goes out to the community.

I've actually been looking for a bolt action solution. I own a few AR format rifles (one Grendel included) but only one .270 bolt action (as well as one lever gun). Primary reason: I'm left handed - that's actually the reason I bought the lever action rifle around 30 years ago. I'm used to using RH direct impingement rifles since basic training (also around 30 years ago) but really don't like using RH Bolt actions.

My wife and I gave our son a Tikka T3 in 30-06 with a LH bolt for Christmas last year (he's right-minded also). Both he and I loved it and I got my first bolt - a LH Tikka T3 in .270 shortly after. The rifle shoots like a dream and I managed a clover-leaf shot group out of it at 100 yds during my last trip to the range (the 41st, 42nd and 43rd rounds through it). I'd love to explore the 6.5 Grendel round in a bolt action for all of the reasons already expressed by other commenters

So any suggestions? I'm already reloading 6.5G (as well as any other caliber I own) and want to explore that round in a bolt action. CZ an Howa both make 6.5 Grendel rifles but not left handed. CZ maks some LH 527's but only in .223 and 7.62X39 (I feel discriminated against!).

Any of you found a left-hand bolt Grendel rifle? Any ideas?

My old man has a Howa 20" Grendel and a 20.5" Vepr in Grendel..lol... I have us set up with JP now so I'm hoping I can convince him to at least build an upper for one of his ARs so he can have the complete trifecta lol..

Bloodstained
    My 'thing' is single shots [ he who shoots a single doesn't need a second ] I have a mini 6.5 and I shoot it as a single and love it, i have a AR but it has turned into a safe queen. I think if you know you have a quick second shot, you dont take quite as much time making the first just right.

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotsam View Post
    My 'thing' is single shots [ he who shoots a single doesn't need a second ] I have a mini 6.5 and I shoot it as a single and love it, i have a AR but it has turned into a safe queen. I think if you know you have a quick second shot, you dont take quite as much time making the first just right.
    I just got my little CZ a couple of weeks ago and have a bobsled in the mail for it. If it did not cost so much, and considering I am retired and don't have as much to spend on guns, I would convert a little Ruger 1a or international. I like the single shots, having five of the Rugers.
    Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveinVT View Post
    A lot of good information in this thread. My thanks goes out to the community.

I've actually been looking for a bolt action solution. I own a few AR format rifles (one Grendel included) but only one .270 bolt action (as well as one lever gun). Primary reason: I'm left handed - that's actually the reason I bought the lever action rifle around 30 years ago. I'm used to using RH direct impingement rifles since basic training (also around 30 years ago) but really don't like using RH Bolt actions.

My wife and I gave our son a Tikka T3 in 30-06 with a LH bolt for Christmas last year (he's right-minded also). Both he and I loved it and I got my first bolt - a LH Tikka T3 in .270 shortly after. The rifle shoots like a dream and I managed a clover-leaf shot group out of it at 100 yds during my last trip to the range (the 41st, 42nd and 43rd rounds through it). I'd love to explore the 6.5 Grendel round in a bolt action for all of the reasons already expressed by other commenters

So any suggestions? I'm already reloading 6.5G (as well as any other caliber I own) and want to explore that round in a bolt action. CZ an Howa both make 6.5 Grendel rifles but not left handed. CZ maks some LH 527's but only in .223 and 7.62X39 (I feel discriminated against!).

Any of you found a left-hand bolt Grendel rifle? Any ideas?
    These aren't grendel bolts but Savage has 3 in 6.5 creedmoor bolt action, model 11, axis and BA stealth. Plus you could build one (I think?) from a remington 700 short action left hand receiver. I mention the creed b/c of your list of other bolt actions, 270 etc...

Bloodstained
    I am not really all that interested in the AR gas guns,nice guns but not for me.I went for the Howa mini 20" HB after finding this sweet little cartridge.