Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did you already own a 6.5 Grendel AR before you bought a bolt action?

Quote Originally Posted by Klem View Post
    Probably a bit exaggerated. I use Quickload in this calibre all the time. Just double-check with the powder manufacturer's loading charts and you are good to go. Do your usual 10% low and work up checking for pressure signs.
    We've done QL comparisons with real pressure trace testing, and QL was off by 10-20ksi.

Good rule of thumb is to not rely on QL for predictions unless you have calibrated it based on a lot of collected data with your rifle.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    I have no doubt QL is off on pressure as has been discussed here many times, what I have found surprising is how often it is extremely close on velocity while being off on pressure.

If you have the equipment to test the pressure and change the QL info to match your data you can get pretty dang good data.

QL to me is just another source of information, it is amazing what you can learn with an open mind about internal ballistics, but like all reloading resources ultimate safety of you loads is up to you.

52 I knew you guys data showed some loads where QL is off by as much as 10,000 psi but didn't know about the 20k psi which is huge.

Ask Joe about QL and Grendel. There probably aren't many people on the planet who have done the amount of QL comparisons with actual pressure data, other than Bill A. (with piezoelectric) Not sure if Bill would even bother with QL.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Interesting thread. I had a 5.56 AR at one point, but never a Grendel upper. Then I got a Howa mini, and now have a dedicated lower awaiting a Grendel upper.

Unwashed
    I too have the Mini Howa 6.5 Grendel 20" HB and like it a lot. Have only shot 2 different factory loads through it the Hornady 123gr Black and the Hornady123gr SST. The Black worked much better for me. I have been reloading for it with Lapua brass and a number of powder, bullet, primer combos. Trying to make 90gr to 100gr bullets work but so far 120gr and 123gr are working the best. Looking forward to a 6.5 Grendel AR as soon as I figure out what complete upper to buy. I want at least 22" and heavy

Unwashed
    Also I don't know if you have seen the post by Matt @ LSI on his factory load test but it's worth a look Howa mini action factory load test- results