Did you already own a 6.5 Grendel AR before you bought a bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LWP
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Also I don't know if you have seen the post by Matt @ LSI on his factory load test but it's worth a look Howa mini action factory load test- results

Comment

• BigDaveinVT
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2016

Gas gun first; looking for a boltie

A lot of good information in this thread. My thanks goes out to the community.

I've actually been looking for a bolt action solution. I own a few AR format rifles (one Grendel included) but only one .270 bolt action (as well as one lever gun). Primary reason: I'm left handed - that's actually the reason I bought the lever action rifle around 30 years ago. I'm used to using RH direct impingement rifles since basic training (also around 30 years ago) but really don't like using RH Bolt actions.

My wife and I gave our son a Tikka T3 in 30-06 with a LH bolt for Christmas last year (he's right-minded also). Both he and I loved it and I got my first bolt - a LH Tikka T3 in .270 shortly after. The rifle shoots like a dream and I managed a clover-leaf shot group out of it at 100 yds during my last trip to the range (the 41st, 42nd and 43rd rounds through it). I'd love to explore the 6.5 Grendel round in a bolt action for all of the reasons already expressed by other commenters

So any suggestions? I'm already reloading 6.5G (as well as any other caliber I own) and want to explore that round in a bolt action. CZ an Howa both make 6.5 Grendel rifles but not left handed. CZ maks some LH 527's but only in .223 and 7.62X39 (I feel discriminated against!).

Any of you found a left-hand bolt Grendel rifle? Any ideas?

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

My old man has a Howa 20" Grendel and a 20.5" Vepr in Grendel..lol... I have us set up with JP now so I'm hoping I can convince him to at least build an upper for one of his ARs so he can have the complete trifecta lol..

Comment

• Singleshotsam
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

My 'thing' is single shots [ he who shoots a single doesn't need a second ] I have a mini 6.5 and I shoot it as a single and love it, i have a AR but it has turned into a safe queen. I think if you know you have a quick second shot, you dont take quite as much time making the first just right.

Comment

• jkingrph
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Singleshotsam View Post
            My 'thing' is single shots [ he who shoots a single doesn't need a second ] I have a mini 6.5 and I shoot it as a single and love it, i have a AR but it has turned into a safe queen. I think if you know you have a quick second shot, you dont take quite as much time making the first just right.
            I just got my little CZ a couple of weeks ago and have a bobsled in the mail for it. If it did not cost so much, and considering I am retired and don't have as much to spend on guns, I would convert a little Ruger 1a or international. I like the single shots, having five of the Rugers.
            Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BigDaveinVT View Post
              A lot of good information in this thread. My thanks goes out to the community.

I've actually been looking for a bolt action solution. I own a few AR format rifles (one Grendel included) but only one .270 bolt action (as well as one lever gun). Primary reason: I'm left handed - that's actually the reason I bought the lever action rifle around 30 years ago. I'm used to using RH direct impingement rifles since basic training (also around 30 years ago) but really don't like using RH Bolt actions.

My wife and I gave our son a Tikka T3 in 30-06 with a LH bolt for Christmas last year (he's right-minded also). Both he and I loved it and I got my first bolt - a LH Tikka T3 in .270 shortly after. The rifle shoots like a dream and I managed a clover-leaf shot group out of it at 100 yds during my last trip to the range (the 41st, 42nd and 43rd rounds through it). I'd love to explore the 6.5 Grendel round in a bolt action for all of the reasons already expressed by other commenters

So any suggestions? I'm already reloading 6.5G (as well as any other caliber I own) and want to explore that round in a bolt action. CZ an Howa both make 6.5 Grendel rifles but not left handed. CZ maks some LH 527's but only in .223 and 7.62X39 (I feel discriminated against!).

Any of you found a left-hand bolt Grendel rifle? Any ideas?
              These aren't grendel bolts but Savage has 3 in 6.5 creedmoor bolt action, model 11, axis and BA stealth. Plus you could build one (I think?) from a remington 700 short action left hand receiver. I mention the creed b/c of your list of other bolt actions, 270 etc...
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• xlcc
                Warrior
                • Feb 2016

I am not really all that interested in the AR gas guns,nice guns but not for me.I went for the Howa mini 20" HB after finding this sweet little cartridge.

Comment

Working...
                X