Did you already own a 6.5 Grendel AR before you bought a bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Had a AR for a few years and liked the Grendel enough that I did aa build 2 years ago, I wanted a light weight bolt action with little recoil.

Comment

• Nodak
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

My Mini was my 1st Grendel. It makes a great target gun and hunting round for all my purposes. Availability of cheap wolf plinking sealed the deal over a Creedmoor for me. I plan on an AR in Grendel over the next winter.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

In my own humble opinion, the little bit of extra weight is worth it to go up to a 6.5 Creed for what I expect out of a bolt gun and for what I'd want to use it for. Still a very mildly recoiling round, but the effective range is night and day. That extra bit of receiver and bolt just doesn't make that big of a difference for me. If you hold a mini action side by side with a short action and really favor the mini action and don't care about the extended range, flatter shooting, and ability to load heavier bullets, then go for it.

Comment

• Hunter307
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
          In my own humble opinion, the little bit of extra weight is worth it to go up to a 6.5 Creed for what I expect out of a bolt gun and for what I'd want to use it for. Still a very mildly recoiling round, but the effective range is night and day. That extra bit of receiver and bolt just doesn't make that big of a difference for me. If you hold a mini action side by side with a short action and really favor the mini action and don't care about the extended range, flatter shooting, and ability to load heavier bullets, then go for it.
          If you're looking for a relatively cheap "in" to a lightweight rifle (mountain rifle) the mini is a fantastic option. Especially if you don't intend to shoot long distances. 400yds is a long poke in field shooting conditions and live critters. I have no need to shoot further than 3-400yds, so the grendel is fine. The creedmoor is in fashion at the moment, and thats cool, but it won't do anything the 260 or 6.5x55 can't.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Hunter307 View Post
            If you're looking for a relatively cheap "in" to a lightweight rifle (mountain rifle) the mini is a fantastic option. Especially if you don't intend to shoot long distances. 400yds is a long poke in field shooting conditions and live critters. I have no need to shoot further than 3-400yds, so the grendel is fine. The creedmoor is in fashion at the moment, and thats cool, but it won't do anything the 260 or 6.5x55 can't.
            Yup, I'm with you - if it meets your needs and you like it, more power to you! Personally, I'd rather have a rifle that weighs a few ounces more and sends a 140gr .610BC bullet @ 2710fps than a slightly lighter rifle sending a 123gr .506BC bullet @ 2580fps. (using hornady factory ammo for comparison)

Another way to look at it is @400yrds (as you've stated) you get the below numbers:
            123 Grendel: 35.4" drop, 12.8" wind drift (10mph), 1023ft lb energy
            140 Creed : 29.9" drop, 9.6" wind drift (10mph), 1439ft lb energy

Take those numbers out to 1000yrds, as I would want my bolt action to do, and you get even more striking comparisons.

Either will do the job, and I love my Grendel AR, but for bolt action I'm just saying the short action is more attractive TO ME at the cost of only a few ounces weight and a little more recoil. You're right, you can substitute the 260 or 6.5x55 and get similar numbers. The Grendel was made to fit into an AR and it's neat that they made a mini bolt action for AR calibers - I'd be proud to own one - I just think it's more of a novelty but as long as you're having fun, again, more power to you!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I have several AR15s in 6.5 Grendel, and recently got the Mini Howa Sporter 22" Rifle.

It is a very handy little fire stick, and I do notice the difference between a short action and the mini action from the same company. The short actions just feel heavier, less responsive to input from me when wielding them.

I can watch my own impacts with the Mini Grendel, using no muzzle brake, even with that light profile barrel, and still have a lot of energy on target.

I think 130gr ELD-M is going to be where it shines, along with the Federal 130gr Gold Medal Match for target.

I will have a 6.5 Creedmoor I'm sure in the near future as well. I also have a .260 Remington LR-260 built by GA Precision.

With the 130gr ELD-M at 2650fps from a 20-22" barrel, the Mini Grendel bolt gun has:
              600yds 1.3 mils drift 1749fps 883ft-lbs

The 6.5 Creedmoor with 130gr ELD-M at 2840fps from a 24" has:
              600yds 1.1 mils drift 1911fps 1054ft-lbs

It's not a lot different for the layman, especially for those that don't shoot out to 1000yds but like to shoot 300-800yds. Both will be supersonic at sea level past 1100yds.

Factory ammo for Grendel is more affordable, but 6.5 Creedmoor isn't that bad either. Hornady has done really well supporting both Grendel and CM, and now .260 Rem with the factory .260 Rem 130gr ELD-M at prices most can afford (mid $20's).

Another thing that really comes into play with the weight and balance is carrying in the field. The Minis are just a joy to carry. For a short action in CM or .260, I would want some additional weight-saving features like carbon fiber, which are going to cost hundred more to get the same weight of the Mini, while adding more recoil that has to be dealt with, not that these are heavy-recoiling cartridges.

I think calling the Mini Grendel a novelty overlooks a lot of capability packed into a lightweight package that everyone in the family can shoot all day long affordably, without any recoil fatigue. The steel case further supports this by allowing hundreds of rounds of practice for a fraction of the cost of brass-cased ammo, so beware of the shooter that gets tons of trigger time with their fire stick, especially for field positional shooting.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                Warrior
                • Aug 2015

LRRPF52 - I agree with you on all accounts. I'm just too big a fan of versatility in my rifles (which is why I own a Grendel AR!). Maybe someday when I have money to spend I'll jump on a mini action. I definitely see the attraction. I've been on the lookout for years for a steal of a deal on a .223 bolt action for my lady to practice with because I figure eventually I'll spot a good deal on one that will justify the purchase.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

It's just an AR15 for me... for dealing with these super damp, cold, shitty conditions in Maine that reek havoc on guns (I've carried and used varmint style R700s for 18 years) I've ALWAYS romanticized about having a light, full handguard armored ar15 that could take the abuse and keep on ticking with the balistics to reliably and humanely drop game from across a clover field or soy bean field.. until stumbling across the Grendel I never thought it was possible.. plus the modularity of the ar15 and low recoil of the Grendel make it PERFECT for my wife and kids.. and my new go-to gun..

Not sure if I wouldn't ever go the bolt action route, as the true appeal of the Grendel for me was the use in an AR15... the Howa mini is pretty cool, and I'm sure the CZ Will be one hell of a shooter... who knows maybe one day I'll get that itch that needs to be scratched...

Just picked up a Remington model 7 in 7mm SAUM... Gotta track Predatordown and see what kind of loads he's been tinkering with!

Comment

• Dinny
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2016

I don't have an AR. I had a H&R Handi rifle that was rebored and rechambered to 6.5 Grendel, but someone turned it into a .260. Dummy me!!

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• SDguy
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                      I don't have an AR. I had a H&R Handi rifle that was rebored and rechambered to 6.5 Grendel, but someone turned it into a .260. Dummy me!!

Thanks, Dinny

Grrr........ Guess it is your fire arm, do as you see fit.:-)

Comment

• Dinny
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
                        Grrr........ Guess it is your fire arm, do as you see fit.:-)
                        It wasn't by choice. I was informed that the chamber had a defect....

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• vandiemenlander
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I have several AR15s in 6.5 Grendel, and recently got the Mini Howa Sporter 22" Rifle.

It is a very handy little fire stick, and I do notice the difference between a short action and the mini action from the same company. The short actions just feel heavier, less responsive to input from me when wielding them.

I can watch my own impacts with the Mini Grendel, using no muzzle brake, even with that light profile barrel, and still have a lot of energy on target.

I think 130gr ELD-M is going to be where it shines, along with the Federal 130gr Gold Medal Match for target.

I will have a 6.5 Creedmoor I'm sure in the near future as well. I also have a .260 Remington LR-260 built by GA Precision.

With the 130gr ELD-M at 2650fps from a 20-22" barrel, the Mini Grendel bolt gun has:

It's not a lot different for the layman, especially for those that don't shoot out to 1000yds but like to shoot 300-800yds. Both will be supersonic at sea level past 1100yds.

Factory ammo for Grendel is more affordable, but 6.5 Creedmoor isn't that bad either. Hornady has done really well supporting both Grendel and CM, and now .260 Rem with the factory .260 Rem 130gr ELD-M at prices most can afford (mid $20's).

Another thing that really comes into play with the weight and balance is carrying in the field. The Minis are just a joy to carry. For a short action in CM or .260, I would want some additional weight-saving features like carbon fiber, which are going to cost hundred more to get the same weight of the Mini, while adding more recoil that has to be dealt with, not that these are heavy-recoiling cartridges.

I think calling the Mini Grendel a novelty overlooks a lot of capability packed into a lightweight package that everyone in the family can shoot all day long affordably, without any recoil fatigue. The steel case further supports this by allowing hundreds of rounds of practice for a fraction of the cost of brass-cased ammo, so beware of the shooter that gets tons of trigger time with their fire stick, especially for field positional shooting.
                          What load are you using to get 2650 out of a 22" tube with that bullet? I can't even get that with a 123 Amax without going overpressure in Quickload, much less a 130. I'd love to see more Grendel bolt guns but the oddball PPC sized bolt face is probably a barrier for some of the bigger manufacturers to tool up and make a run of guns. I'd love something like a Remmy 700 with a 20" fluted light bull barrel and a decent (read: not that Hogue garbage they love to use now) stock. 700 LTR'ish. Or even a Tikka T3...

I want a 6.5 bolt gun sometime in the next year or two, can't decide if I want to just take the easy way out and do a 6.5x47 that works with an existing 308 bolt face 700 or Tikka action or deal with having to have someone install bolt face bushings and sort out the feeding issues that come with the Grendel. Be easy to just do light loads for the 6.5x47 that approximate Grendel ballistics and still be able to turn up the heat for the 1000 yard line. Choices, choices..
                          Last edited by vandiemenlander; 06-04-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Dinny
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

How about a 24" CZ? http://grabagun.com/cz-93.html

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• jason miller
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I believe 2650 would be pushing it a little hard in a Grendel. As someone else said, that's about as hot as I can run a 123. And if you're going to push one, you better push both to make a fair comparison. It's not impossible to nudge 3K with a 130 in the Creed.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2016

Since IMO it is about the best performing round you can run thru an AR, I am building in a Grendel AR.

For a bolt gun, I know the round is really pretty phenomenal but it is kind of a tough sell vs the myriad of much more mainline rounds available in bolt guns. I have my Grendel AR so really I don't NEED a Grendel bolt gun.

I haven't done a lick of research but if I wanted a bolt gun in that size it would be kind of a tough sell vs something dirt common like a .243 for a mild target/hunting rifle... unless I get into reloading since I would then have two of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X