• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHORT-N-SASSY
    Warrior
    • Apr 2013

Something smells in the gun industry

Encouraging words from Faxon Firearms, back then. I planned to Bullpup the Faxon Firearms ARAK-21 6.5mm Grendel Upper Receiver-Barrel Assembly, replete with super-beefy Breech Bolt and ambidextrous ejection, maintaining an overall rifle length of 26".

However, discouraged after waiting for two years, I considered "Plan B": The Faxon Firearms ARAK-21 pistol, with 12.5" barrel, chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel. Either would be well-suited to the rough high-desert haunts I frequent ---

5/7/2017 request to Faxon Firearms: "At what point will Faxon Firearms be adding the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge to the present list of cartridges available in the ARAK-21 Platform?"

5/8/2017 response from Faxon Firearms: "For any new calibers or products that will come after we are caught up and have ARAKs on the shelf, 6.5 is one of many avenues we are exploring as the next release, but haven't solidified any specific products or schedules, at this time."

5/12/2017: Tired of waiting on Faxon Firearms, I contacted other arms manufacturers:

Rock River Arms (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=415). I was interested in their PDS (Piston Driven System) pistols, presently offering the 5.56 and.300 AAC Blackout. Their response, "Sorry, but we do not offer the 6.5 Grendel.";

Hardened Arms (http://www.hardenedarms.com);

Radical Firearms (https://www.radicalfirearms.com/).

Both, Hardened Arms and Radical Firearms offer complete AR-15 rifles chambered for a number of popular cartridges, including the 6.5mm Grendel. However, neither company offers the 6.5mm Grendel in their complete AR-15 pistols, which are chambered for a number of other popular cartridges. I contacted both Hardened Arms and Radical Arms, "I've checked your website and noted that you offer both AR-15 rifles and pistols, but offer the 6.5mm Grendel, only, in your rifles. Can I order an AR-15 pistol chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge?"

Hardened Arms responded, "We don't have plans for offering the 6.5 Grendel in a pistol, anytime soon."

Radical Firearms responded, "We do not offer the 6.5 Grendel in a pistol length barrel, because the recoil would be such that most people would have cycling issues."
    Note that Radical Firearms offers their complete AR-15 pistols in a variety of chambers including the 12.7x42mm, 7.62x39mm, .458 SOCOM, .300 AAC Blackout and 5.56x45mm.

Options. The 6.5mm Grendel begs for options. It's that good!

• 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

First and foremost I want to thank you for posting this because it has me now going in a new direction with my AR builds.

To respectfully counter your statement I offer the following for your, and all others, consideration.

1. Barrels - X-Caliber offers custom barrels, as I'm sure all know, as short or as long as you might care to own.

2. There are two stock configuration available to those of us who build or have their gun smith build that will satisfy their desires and are legal to own.

SB Tactical SBPDW™. We design, develop and manufacture accessories for firearms including the original pistol stabilization brace.

and

The Law Tactical folding stock http://www.vtsupply.com/law-tactical...15-folder.html

While the Law Tactical device is about 5 inches shorter folded it shouldn't be fired in that configuration. On the other hand it is a bout $100.00 cheaper

The beauty of the SB Tactical is that it's ATF compliant for pistol use which is a great load off some of our minds plus it can be fired in its shortest setup and taken down for cleaning in a normal manner.

BTW I apologize if all this has been covered beforehand. It's new to me .

PS I almost forgot our own group buy 12 inch barrel, which is QUITE a savings over the X-Caliber barrel, sorry bout that guys.
    Last edited by 41bear; 05-13-2017, 12:06 PM.
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• GrendelGuy65
      Unwashed
      • May 2017

Alexander Arms is also offering a 6.5 pistol.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by GrendelGuy65 View Post
        Alexander Arms is also offering a 6.5 pistol.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/AR-...ete_Upper.html
        GrendelGuy65,

Welcome to our 6.5 Grendel Forum!

Thanks for pointing out that new offering from Alexander Arms. However, it's not a pistol, but a complete Upper Assembly with a 11" barrel chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge, with a price tag of $719.25.

I'm looking for a complete pistol (preferably, gas piston system) chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge, with a 12.5" barrel.

For comparison:

Hardened Arms offers a complete AR-15 pistol chambered for the .300 AAC Blackout cartridge, with a 10.5" barrel, for $499.99.;

Radical Firearms offers a complete AR-15 pistol chambered for the 7.62x39mm cartridge, with 10.5" barrel, for 549.99.

Neither company offers the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge in a pistol.

The Faxon Firearms ARAK-21 pistol, with 12.5" barrel, chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge, would suit my needs --- all of which, puts me back to square one.

Comment

• Ditcher
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Might be because everyone associates the 6.5g with long rage shooting and longer is better mentality that not many think about making a pistol out of it. I have read in many places where people would say its useless under 16" yet I can't find anyone to stand in front of a pistol 6.5g to prove it.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
            Might be because everyone associates the 6.5g with long rage shooting and longer is better mentality that not many think about making a pistol out of it. I have read in many places where people would say its useless under 16" yet I can't find anyone to stand in front of a pistol 6.5g to prove it.
            Let shooters, not the gun industry, decide what options we want for the can-do, multi-task 6.5mm Grendel cartridge ---

(http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-your-backpack)

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
              Let shooters, not the gun industry, decide what options we want for the can-do, multi-task 6.5mm Grendel cartridge ---

(http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-your-backpack)
              Not when the gun industry doesn't want to get stuck with a bunch of crap nobody wants. They are going to make what they know will sell first.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Same could be said for just about anything. Basically the last 100 years has been a period of refinement with not really a whole lot of really groundbreaking innovation.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment but what is this post about I'm kind of lost here.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    Maybe I'm having a blonde moment but what is this post about I'm kind of lost here.
                    Up until post 8 I think it was about wanting a pistol.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Oh ok, wasn't sure what he was going on about, thanks for the info update.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

How is a few companies not offering an external op-rod driven pistol an indictment of the gun industry?

External op rods in the AR15 are bad news in a number of ways, starting with the fact that they instantaneously initiate career movement while there is still significant pressure against the chamber walls.

You then have to add weight to the tail end and carrier as rate reducers, then add spring weight as well, causing more violent return to battery stroke in the cycle of operations.

Colt Canada engineers analyzed the HK416 on high speed camera, and said the problems with that design are so numerous, one wonders why they would undertake such a regression into 1920s piston operation.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• feetpiece
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post

Something smells in the gun industry

Yup, the SCAR 17 costs $2K too much without factory conversion kits.

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

The AR pistol has an advantage not often touted and that is a third point of contact which most if not all pistons lack. That alone would seal the deal for myself and if OAL is an issue there are ways around that as most of us already know with the addition of a LAW pivot hinge for the extension. Another advantage, price point typically.

Comment

Working...
                            X