• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sscandyman
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

New to rifles and starting with a Grendal

Howdie all,

I've always plinked with my revolvers for fun but had never felt the need for anything more until I decided I would like to try my hand at deer hunting next season.

I went to my buddy's to try out some of his toys and after spending some time with his AR-15, AR-10 , 30-30 and mosin nagant I decided I wanted an AR-15 with a little more knockdown power . after some research I found the 6.5 Grendel !

I ordered a Wolf complete Upper and a PSA Blem lower ( still waiting on the lower ) . I have played with the upper on a borrowed Lower but I am anxiously awaiting my own lower so I can put in some practice and hopefully learn to hit the broad side of a barn .

This forum has been very informative and I look forward to becoming part of the community !

-JT
  • AZBackcountry
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

Welcome to the forum and welcome to hunting. It sounds like you have a mentor for learning how to hunt. If your buddy doesn't hunt find a mentor. Most experienced hunters enjoy helping a new hunter. Get out every chance you get to watch deer and get to know their body language and habits. It will help with buck fever when a monster buck comes into view. You know what they say about beginners luck.

The 6.5 Grendel is a awesome choice for a deer rifle. What length barrel did you buy?

I like the Hornady SSTs. I have the Vol 2 Hunting Loads Handbook that has a lot of good info on top of the info in the forum if you reload. LRRPF52 (Paul) has a online store http://www.ar15buildbox.com/ If you shoot with electronic muffs the boonie hat is great.

When you get your rifle built post pictures.
    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Welcome to the dark side of Modern Sporting Rifles. Hopefully your Revolvers don't become as neglected as mine.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• sscandyman
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2017

AZBackcountry : I do have a friend that will mentor me with hunting , and he also has the land to hunt on! Another of my friend's have a nice reload setup but he is not terribly experienced yet so I believe the reload books will come in quite handy. As far as barrel length I just picked up the wolf upper which is 16" for a quick budget rifle.

Stonehenge: Lol , we'll see if the Grendel has the power to pry me from my wheelguns .

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum sscandyman!

Comment

• AZBackcountry
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

Good deal. It sounds like your on your way to a lifetime of fun, good health and adventures.

"sscandyman" you must be a Pharmacist at a hospital like my son and father-in-law. The crazies at Cook County Asylum in the early '60s called my father-in-law, "Hey Candyman".
            Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• sscandyman
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Haha I wish I had the income stream of a pharmacist ! I used to be in the vending buisness and I keep using the screen name so I can keep things simple and remember my login everywhere.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by sscandyman View Post
                Haha I wish I had the income stream of a pharmacist ! I used to be in the vending buisness and I keep using the screen name so I can keep things simple and remember my login everywhere.
                So much for it being a Jerry reference.

"If I had me a Grendel, ......."
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                X