• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowulf
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

A not so "budget" build

Hi all,
    Entering the foray with this build. Basically, I'm trying to put money into what counts.
    Anything with a star (*) has already been bought.

My build list so far,

Upper:
    *Aero Precision "blem" M4E1 in FDE
    *Aero Precision "blem" Enhanced handguard w/ M-lok in FDE
    *Alexander Arms 18" lite barrel
    *AA hard use bolt
    *Aero precision nitrided bolt carrier
    *Raptor-type charging handle
    Linear comp for the muzzle

Lower:
    *AP Gen2 "blem" lower in FDE
    *Aero precision A2 buffer kit
    *PSA lower parts kit w/ ambi safety
    *generic grip in FDE
    *TacStar AR-15 AMRS stock (will need to paint FDE)
    *CMC drop in, 2 stage trigger. 1# take up, 3# release.

*Scope mount: Warne X-SKEL in FDE

*Scopes: SWFA SS 3-15x42 w/ Mil-Quad DM reticle

This will be primarily a mid to long range target/predator/varmint/hunter.

My stepson and I have already deemed it the "blah" rifle.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by shadowulf; 07-06-2017, 03:18 PM. Reason: updating
  • ah1whiskey
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

sounds pretty good to me--

don't forget to consider vortex scopes!!!

Comment

• Les
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Welcome, I'm sure you're starting to notice that you can sink plenty of dough into these, and even more if you go SBR and suppressor's. Quite the dizzying array of parts and accessories in all price ranges. Enjoy the journey. After being a bolt gun guy for the last 35 years, I know I am.
      Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• shadowulf
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Les View Post
        Welcome, I'm sure you're starting to notice that you can sink plenty of dough into these, and even more if you go SBR and suppressor's. Quite the dizzying array of parts and accessories in all price ranges. Enjoy the journey. After being a bolt gun guy for the last 35 years, I know I am.
        Oh yes, this addiction started with an AP upper "on sale" for $250. That has been the most expensive $250 I've ever spent.
        But I'm enjoying it.

I'm interested in the Vortex scopes, I'm looking into mil-dots or some type of ranging scope. Seems there are enough ballistic apps and programs anymore, a BDC scope is not a requirement.

Thanks

Comment

• Lightstrider
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

Wow those AP enhanced uppers and handguards are great I think I will try them. $250 hell I think I paid close to that just for my LaRue cheese greater hand guards a few years ago! Can get the AP upper and hand guard for it. I also kind of like the Vtlor MUR but don't see a real necessity for it.

Comment

• shadowulf
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Lightstrider View Post
            Wow those AP enhanced uppers and handguards are great I think I will try them. $250 hell I think I paid close to that just for my LaRue cheese greater hand guards a few years ago! Can get the AP upper and hand guard for it. I also kind of like the Vtlor MUR but don't see a real necessity for it.
            The thing to do is get on the mailing list. They have daily, weekly and weekend deals all the time. If you are patient, you can put together a pretty good set for about 20-30% less than what they charge.
            Also, if you are quick, you can get one of the builder sets when they come out.

Comment

• kevperro
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Looks awesome to me.... those are great parts and if you have the money there is no reason to regret spending it on well-made parts.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a build almost identical to this until I gave in to my cheaper self.

Comment

• shadowulf
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by kevperro View Post
                Looks awesome to me.... those are great parts and if you have the money there is no reason to regret spending it on well-made parts.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a build almost identical to this until I gave in to my cheaper self.
                Thanks,
                I'm trying to get as good a quality parts at as low as possible price. More could be spent on anything on my list. But if I can shave a few dollars here and there, it makes for more money for other stuff, like ammo.
                Last edited by shadowulf; 05-14-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

If your going all in on FDE, aero does fde scope mounts which do what they are supposed to do with Grendel.

Don't know what your scope budget is, but Bushnell is doing 25% rebates and there are 2 elite tactical LRTS scopes offered in FDE. Different than Magpul FDE, yet...... I'm a pure holdover guy and the G3 reticle is great. if you max out on dialing, you could always holdover on the remainder.

I'm contemplating picking up the 3-12x44 since Gigi is over scoped and I will ultimately use this ERS (which I got a screaming deal on) for a 260/6.5 Creedmoor project

image.jpeg

Precision Firearms will also do their LMD compensator in FDE
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• shadowulf
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                    If your going all in on FDE, aero does fde scope mounts which do what they are supposed to do with Grendel.

Don't know what your scope budget is, but Bushnell is doing 25% rebates and there are 2 elite tactical LRTS scopes offered in FDE. Different than Magpul FDE, yet...... I'm a pure holdover guy and the G3 reticle is great. if you max out on dialing, you could always holdover on the remainder.

I'm contemplating picking up the 3-12x44 since Gigi is over scoped and I will ultimately use this ERS (which I got a screaming deal on) for a 260/6.5 Creedmoor project

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9168[/ATTACH]

Thanks, I'll look into those.
                    The only issue with the AP mount is that I don't believe it has the 20 MOA cant.
                    Depending on the scope I finally choose, I would rather have the room for adjustment than risk "bottoming out".
                    I can go either way for hold over. I've done both, and both have there advantages. Dialing in, when done right, is very accurate. Using hold over is damn fast when you need to be.
                    A ranging ret is just preferable to me. I've been wanting to get a close look at a Primary Arms scope with the R-grid reticle. But then, I really like the SWFA Quad-MOA too.

Thanks all for the comments. I've made some compromises to get to this point. And any good info helps.

Comment

• shooter545
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9168[/ATTACH]

That is a good looking stick you have there!

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Lol seems to be a trend with these "budget" grendel builds.. Mine started out "budget", now it's my second most expensive rifle, after my R700 260 I had built by Clerance Hammonds.

Comment

• shadowulf
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                          Lol seems to be a trend with these "budget" grendel builds.. Mine started out "budget", now it's my second most expensive rifle, after my R700 260 I had built by Clerance Hammonds.
                          I think that is the nature of the beast. You start out spending pocket change, you end up with a second mortgage.

Comment

• shadowulf
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2017

Just a little update.
                            The AA barrel and bolt are on their way.
                            Aero precision had a nice father's day sale, which got me a nitride bolt carrier, a melonite gas tube, and an A2 buffer kit.
                            Some eBay scrounging got me some anti-walk pins, an adjustable clamp-type gas block, an AMRS stock, and a raptor style charging handle.
                            GunBroker came through with a CMC drop in trigger auction.
                            Just waiting for all to arrive.
                            I'll put up pics once I get them installed.

Comment

• shadowulf
                              Unwashed
                              • Apr 2017

The major parts are in.

Trying to upload a pic from my phone to show you all what it looks like.
                              the - blah-rifle.jpg
                              Last edited by shadowulf; 07-05-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X