X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ActionDiver
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

The M4E1 upper is in my opinion the best upper out there. Your build is supper close to what my brother just built, very very nice!

His has the same Aero lower with the set screw to take up slack, M4E1 upper with free floated MLOK 15" rail, and even the same barrel/bolt combo!

I loaned him a scope and we made up some 123 SST loads for it and shot it just a bit as we ran out of day light. One ragged hole at roughly 100 yards. Can't wait to play with it some more and stretch its legs out to 700 yards and beyond. I'm gathering parts myself and my build is going to be pretty much like yours too.

How much does yours weight? We weighed his and it was 7 pounds 10 ounces. The only difference on his is he used a different stock, had a Leupold VXII 3-9X in an Aero Precision mount, mil spec grip, and an AAC flash-hider. I thought that was pretty light. A loaded Elander 17 round magazine weighed 1.01 pound.

Comment

• shadowulf
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

I'm around 8 pounds. The Tacstar stock was a little heavier than expected. But still a bit lighter than a PRS, with much of the same function.

I'm heavily leaning towards an SWFA scope.
      There latest sale is really getting me close to committing.

I have a Warne x-skel in fde on the way.

As for mags, I'm probably going to get a couple 5 rounders first, then maybe a few 10s. Being this will more be a hunting rig, I doubt I will go any larger with mags.

Comment

• shadowulf
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2017

I went with the SWFA SS 3-15x42 scope. I really like the DM reticle. I hope they eventually put it on a 1st focal plane scope, gauged to 36". It's gauged to 5'10". Which means I can use it for 18", 24" and 36" tall targets for rough range estimation.

I'll probably run a thread protector until I get a linear compensator to fit. I haven't found one that is threaded in 9/16-24. I wish Alexander Arms would spec to 5/8-24. It would make a lot easier to find a a muzzle device to fit one's needs.

I'll post the completed build once the mount and scope are in.
        Any suggestions on ammo would be appreciated. I figured on starting with Hornady Black, but I will need either some load recipes or factory loads for varmint and predator hunting.

Comment

• sk8inrj1
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2017

I love my SWFA SS 3-15 FFP MOA-quad scope! Tracks perfect and has 140 MOA of total elevation travel. Shooting for 1020 yards with my grendel, I was only using 43 MOA of the available 70 MOA of travel. I was able to easily spot my misses into dirt around that steel gong at 1020 yards. I could just see the bullet splash when I did hit steel at that distance. My next scope will be the SWFA SS HD 5-25.

Comment

• shadowulf
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

Almost there

Scope is on. 20170717_180502-1328x747.jpg

Waiting for the linear comp now.
            Getting closer

Comment

• jcjarmon
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

You guys crack me up sometimes. Start out with a budget, before you know it, your refinancing your cars. Your all as bad as I am. IMG_20170524_213429.jpg

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Jc, it's an addictive habit that is for sure.lol

Comment

• shadowulf
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
                  You guys crack me up sometimes. Start out with a budget, before you know it, your refinancing your cars. Your all as bad as I am. [ATTACH=CONFIG]9437[/ATTACH]
                  Actually, I'm only about $200 over my expected budget. And that was because of the swfa scope.
                  As I titled the thread. I planned on spending more on the parts I felt that mattered. And get as good a quality parts on those that mattered less.

I could have easily cut corners, went for cheaper parts and built a decent rifle. But I also plan on handing down this rifle, if all works well.

Someday, the youngest may take a few pronghorn or mulies with it.

Comment

• shadowulf
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2017

Finally got a chance to put some rounds through it.

Very happy with how it came out.

Comment

Working...
                    X