• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevperro
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Standard A2 Stock - Why not?

I'm building another lower. I have one with the Magpul STR and while it looks cool and all that I think a standard M-16 stock would ride the bags better. I'm mainly using my Grendel on the range so thinking of the A2 stock.

Any input pros/cons?
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Check out the ACE ARFX skeleton stock - much lighter, the cheek weld can't be beat and plenty of angle to slide your bag up and down. JoeBob can dun save you money on one.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

I like Magpul's A2 stock

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld

Pick your vendor.

Comment

• vandiemenlander
        Unwashed
        • May 2017

I have the ACE ARFX on my 16" Odin Works build and love it... The rifle buffer and rifle length tube are where it's at.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

My first two builds have A2 stocks. For "the look" IMO they can't be beat. I think they feel great too.

Only real con I have came across is they don't fit in a lead sled with the sling loop installed.

Comment

• hkcavalier
            Unwashed
            • May 2017

I like the Cav Arms A1 stocks for shorter and/or pencil barrels. They don't balance well with a heavier barrel.

Length of pull with an A2 is pretty ideal if you're 6'2"+. Otherwise, IMO, it's too long for anything but prone shooting. I know there aren't many wannabe keyboard commandos on here, but it's also ill-suited for the current, all the rage shooting positions with a rifle that typically have you present your chest to the target.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
              Warrior
              • Sep 2015

if you like it use it!

i sort of prefer the rifle buffer/tube set up to the carbine. it just seems to cycle smoother for me.

Comment

• mholmes
                Unwashed
                • May 2017

If you have long arms the A2 stock is fine. UTG is a good brand for the A2 stock.

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

I've noticed the STR being a bit thin on the bottom with little to no toe to bring into my rear bag. The ACS-L rides a bag a lot better for me as it seems to lock into a bag better with the longer inner toe. I like the look of an A2 but I must have short midget arms as I really got to reach with one, I'd go A1 or the fix magpul if I was wanting a fixed stock.

Comment

• howl
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

For shooting from the bench, the A2 has the option of bag riders to make it ride the bags better than the usual stocks.

Comment

• mtptwo
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2017

Currently in the process of building a rifle with a PSA A2 stock. Very comfortable.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by mholmes View Post
                        If you have long arms the A2 stock is fine. UTG is a good brand for the A2 stock.
                        That is what I have, mine are in FDE. Only complaint really is the gorilla they have tightening the screw to hold the stock to the buffer tube for shipping. My first one was really really tight.

Comment

• kevperro
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
                          For shooting from the bench, the A2 has the option of bag riders to make it ride the bags better than the usual stocks.
                          That sure is slick if you are just going to shoot from the sled it is a nice set-up. But the only reason I'll shoot from the sled is to optimize my choice of ammo, zero and in general eliminate the shooter from the weapon when I'm trying to figure out why something is doing something.

I think the Magpul is the right choice for me. It looks like it will ride well enough for my purposes and the length will probably match me best.

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

I have the STR and the ACS-L, while I want to like the STR more I just seem to prefer the ACS-L. If you have the chance to actually see, feel fondle both, you should. Both lock up tight to the receiver extension that is for sure, the ACS-L is just a bit longer but they both weigh about the same.

Comment

• kevperro
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2017

I want to thank you guys for your input on the stock. I'm very pleased with the final product. The length of pull is perfect, no wobble like you get with the adjustable stock and it just feels right. I need to play around with my new adjustable gas block and fine-tune it but I think this is yet another step on the journey.

Comment

Working...
                              X