• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mindreader1
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

ELD-M (Black) for hunting?

How will this handle hogs and medium sized game? Going on a night hunt this weekend and want to see if I need to order something ahead of time or simply getting some ELDM from Academy.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

They have worked fine for me.

Comment

• Mindreader1
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Great to hear! Will just get the match then.

Comment

• ScoutH57
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

I've killed a lot of critters(deer, hogs coyotes, skunks even)with Amax bullets which are very comparable. While not specifically designed for hunting like the ELD X(or older SST) they have performed very well and have expanded reliably they just don't retain their weight quite as well as the comparable bonded bullets.

Comment

• Cajun1
          Unwashed
          • May 2017

A5Blaster, I'm in NW La too. Just finished my Grendel and picked up some ELD black from Academy. Have you seen any SST anywhere in stock? I haven't checked any of the local gun shops but just wondering if you've seen it anywhere. Hoping to use my Grendel on deer/ hogs this fall.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

No I haven't seen any grendel ammo on the shelf around where I live on Toledo Bend lake.

None of the gun shops or outdoor stores around me carry it and if you want them to you have to order it through them at a stupid mark up price.

I looked at academy online a few times and they list the eld,amax and sst but there isn't a acadamy close to where I live.

There us a place in leesville that stocks grendel ammo but their price is stupid high, I just order my, I go online to ammoseek and find a deal and order it.

Ohh and welcome to the horde sir, what part of nw la or you from sir.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

The 123gr ELD-M uses the same AMP jacket technology and lead core consistency as the AMAX, only they have tweaked the bullet shape for higher BC and added a tougher polymer nose.

The 123gr AMAX at high speed impact (~2600fps) behaves like an SST, expanding the same to .60 caliber, retaining 83% of its weight, and penetrating 21".

The benefit of the AMAX and bullets with the same construction is a lower expansion threshold, down to 1600fps impact velocity.

Long range hunters have had a lot of success with the 140gr AMAX for that reason, and I know of at least 2 outfitters who specialize in LR hunting that list AMAX as one of their go-to bullets, especially in 6.5mm.

The SST has different jacket construction in that there is a mechanical lock down in the base that retained the lead core better for high impact speed and tougher animals.

It also has the cannelure.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mindreader1
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2016

Thank you sir! Sounds like its GTG! Now I need a thermal/pvs14... gonna be burning a hole in the wallet!
                Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                The 123gr ELD-M uses the same AMP jacket technology and lead core consistency as the AMAX, only they have tweaked the bullet shape for higher BC and added a tougher polymer nose.

The 123gr AMAX at high speed impact (~2600fps) behaves like an SST, expanding the same to .60 caliber, retaining 83% of its weight, and penetrating 21".

The benefit of the AMAX and bullets with the same construction is a lower expansion threshold, down to 1600fps impact velocity.

Long range hunters have had a lot of success with the 140gr AMAX for that reason, and I know of at least 2 outfitters who specialize in LR hunting that list AMAX as one of their go-to bullets, especially in 6.5mm.

The SST has different jacket construction in that there is a mechanical lock down in the base that retained the lead core better for high impact speed and tougher animals.

It also has the cannelure.

Comment

• Cajun1
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2017

No I haven't seen any grendel ammo on the shelf around where I live on Toledo Bend lake.

None of the gun shops or outdoor stores around me carry it and if you want them to you have to order it through them at a stupid mark up price.

I looked at academy online a few times and they list the eld,amax and sst but there isn't a acadamy close to where I live.

There us a place in leesville that stocks grendel ammo but their price is stupid high, I just order my, I go online to ammoseek and find a deal and order it.

Ohh and welcome to the horde sir, what part of nw la or you from sir.
                  Oh, ok and Thanks, I'm about 15 mins southwest of Shreveport. The Academy in Shreveport had the ELD black on sale for $21.99 last week. But, no other choices for the Grendel.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hijack your thread Mindreader. I was wondering how the ELD would work on game as well.
                  Last edited by Cajun1; 05-17-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Mindreader1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2016

Not at all! Glad I wasn't the only one who doesn't reload
                    Originally posted by Cajun1 View Post
                    Oh, ok and Thanks, I'm about 15 mins southwest of Shreveport. The Academy in Shreveport had the ELD black on sale for $21.99 last week. But, no other choices for the Grendel.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hijack your thread Mindreader. I was wondering how the ELD would work on game as well.

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

This is a 123 ELD -m on a groundhog at 100 yards. Explosive expansion and the bullet kept on sailing.

Comment

• Mindreader1
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2016

Looks like the ELD is tha go to bacon maker! Impressive sir!
                        Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQ...w?usp=drivesdk

This is a 123 ELD -m on a groundhog at 100 yards. Explosive expansion and the bullet kept on sailing.

Comment

• Cajun1
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by Mindreader1 View Post
                          Not at all! Glad I wasn't the only one who doesn't reload
                          Ha! I would love to get into reloading, but it would just be one more thing I don't have time for. My "other hunting rifle" is a Marlin 1895 45-70. It's not exactly cheap to shoot. Wouldn't mind being able to reload for it and the Grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Cajun1, Stonwall? I'm in Zwolle.

You ever been to skybuster's range over by coushatta, well kind of between Mansfield and Coushatta. Its a pay to be a member range.

Only other rifle I use now is my 35 wheelen for primitive season.

The grendel has replaced my custom 308 and my grandfather's custom 270. Mine loves the eld-m ammo and shots the amax,sst rounds really well. It also likes the 100,120 ttsx sold by PF and the 100,120 nbt sold by PF.

Prices may seem high for PF's ammo but you get 50 to a box instead of 20.

Comment

• Hattrick
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2014

So if i'm reading this right the Amax or the ELD would be better suited for a hunting 16" carbine than the SST?

Comment

Working...
                              X