X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bldsmith
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Hdy does not recommend the AMAX bullet for hunting. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the ELD-X is just a slightly modified AMAX. the AMAX sheds its jacket and the lead rarely stays together thus the explosive nature. The SST on the other hand was designed for hunting. Not quite as accurate as the AMAX but within acceptable expectations. It mushrooms nicely and retains most of its weight. Normally only losing the nose.

As mentioned above the AMAX/ELD-X does work. Esp on varmints and pigs.
    A. C. Richards OTAC USN RET

ABS Journeyman Smith

http://acrichardscustomknives.com/

Comment

• Hattrick
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

I kinda a like the explosion part . I like those ballistic tips with my 22-250
      Last edited by Hattrick; 06-07-2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by bldsmith View Post
        Hdy does not recommend the AMAX bullet for hunting. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the ELD-X is just a slightly modified AMAX. the AMAX sheds its jacket and the lead rarely stays together thus the explosive nature. The SST on the other hand was designed for hunting. Not quite as accurate as the AMAX but within acceptable expectations. It mushrooms nicely and retains most of its weight. Normally only losing the nose.

As mentioned above the AMAX/ELD-X does work. Esp on varmints and pigs.
        When I shoot SSTs, rarely do I find the jacket and core together when I recover bullet parts. Often I find jacket parts and lead granules. Even when I find part of the core with the jacket, much of the bullet is gone.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• bldsmith
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2017

That's nice to know. I am only going by recovered projectiles I find in the berm behind the tgts. Don't get a chance to shoot many critters here.
          A. C. Richards OTAC USN RET

ABS Journeyman Smith

http://acrichardscustomknives.com/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Alright, I am going to have to give the ELD-M a try. Ordered 100 rounds. Let's see what it will do...

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
              Alright, I am going to have to give the ELD-M a try. Ordered 100 rounds. Let's see what it will do...
              I've been hoping you would do just this! Looking forward to the necropcy report!

Comment

• roo_ster
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                When I shoot SSTs, rarely do I find the jacket and core together when I recover bullet parts. Often I find jacket parts and lead granules. Even when I find part of the core with the jacket, much of the bullet is gone.

What is your go-to commercial cartridge (or bullet component if no commercial loading is appropriate) for hunting where penetration is key? Supposing you really wanted both an entry and an exit wound and good damage between the two.
                Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                ----Horace

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by roo_ster View Post
                  What is your go-to commercial cartridge (or bullet component if no commercial loading is appropriate) for hunting where penetration is key? Supposing you really wanted both an entry and an exit wound and good damage between the two.
                  In my experience hunting with a 260 Rem, the Barnes 120gr TTSX delivered exactly what you are looking for.

I'm sure the 100gr TTSX in the Grendel at appropriate range/velocity would do the same thing.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by roo_ster View Post
                    From my Grendel, the cut down Hornady GMX did well as did the Cavity Back Bullets. I preferred the 118 gr. because it tended to stay together better and was more accurate from my rifle. No doubt Barnes works fine as well, all three being monolithic all copper bullets. That it what they do - punch some serious holes.

Getting back to the ELD-M. Got my ammo and got to the range. I was surprised to find that it was a bit off (1.5" left and .75" higher) than where I had the SST ammo that I normally use. The last two 3-shot groups I made with it were 2/3-3/4" @ 100 yards and strung laterally (suspect the shooter). Went hunting. First the first time in hunting beavers at the neighbor's place, we saw ZERO. Checked the other properties, no hogs and no coyotes. So no terminal ballistics so far. The ammo is plenty accurate enough, however. I can't complain there.

Comment

Working...
                    X