• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightstrider
    Bloodstained
    • May 2017

First Build Parts List

I've searched around, read what others are running and got an idea of what's what so here is the upper I'm currently planning to put together over the next 2-3 months hopefully.

PF Criterion stainless barrel: 18" medium HBAR profile, intermediate gas, 1:8, nitride - $395

AR-Stoner Bolt Carrier Group AR-15 6.5 Grendel: 8620 BCG and 9310 bolt, nitride - $100

Naroh lower profile gas block: .750, 416 steel, clamp type, nitride - $37

Black nitrided intermediate gas tube - $15

VG6 GAMMA 65 muzzle brake: 17-4p HT stainless steel, nitride - $90

AP M4E1 Upper Receiver/Enhanced Handguard Combo: Anodized black, 12" M-LOK - $269 (12" will cover the gas block for intermediate I believe)

Depending on the status of the Faxon barrel group buy by the time I get to place orders I'll definitely consider one or a few of them instead of the Criterion.
    Last edited by Lightstrider; 05-16-2017, 10:29 PM. Reason: switched to 12" hand guard, should still cover gas block for intermediate system, naroh clamping gas block, AR Stoner BCG
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

The 15" hand-guard easily covers an intermediate placed gas block.

Comment

• Brett A
      Bloodstained
      • May 2016

You might check this out. It is a little cheaper than what you have listed for you receiver and hand guard.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Wow, not a cheap build at all.

I have "heard" that clamp on gas blocks are better for accuracy. You have a lot of money elsewhere it might be worth checking into anyway.

Comment

• Lightstrider
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
          Wow, not a cheap build at all.

I have "heard" that clamp on gas blocks are better for accuracy. You have a lot of money elsewhere it might be worth checking into anyway.
          Yeah I picked the Radical one cause it was so cheap but I'm not too interested in dimpling my barrel for it so I can look into them.

I really like that AP upper and hand guard but I know I could save a lot going with something stupid simple like a UTG hand guard lol. I'm seeing $90 for an unstripped upper, $7 for a barrel nut, $150ish still for a decent hand guard so that's still like $250 and the AP I think is a much better system for the free float and barrel installation.

Could get an AR Stoner 6.5 BCG for $100 instead of paying $175 for PF's so that's some decent saving if I go that route which is a great deal cause I'm seeing bolt carriers by themselves for $90 then I'd still have to get a 6.5 bolt.

The barrel comes with a gas tube I just wanted nitride tube but I suppose that's overkill, just a nice thing. Maybe I could get a cheaper barrel? I saw the BCA 16" govt profile and 18" heavy profile barrels for like $100-115 or hell the $20 for $145 but I don't know about their quality. I should just jump on the Faxon barrel group buy and wait for that but that could take awhile, I guess I have a few months anyways before I can even build this so could pay for the Faxon now and wait it out.

Could get a cheaper muzzle brake but I don't know if I trust the cheap stuff really.

So really it seems where I would want to go cheaper may be with the AR Stoner 6.5 BCG, it's 9310 bolt and nitrided just like the PF and then I could use the extra money to go towards the clamp on gas block like the Naroh Arms nitride for $37.
          Last edited by Lightstrider; 05-16-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Lightstrider
            Bloodstained
            • May 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
            The 15" hand-guard easily covers an intermediate placed gas block.
            I read the 12" hand guard will cover the intermediate as well so I guess I'll go with that and it'll save some weight and a few bucks. Still $906 + shipping from few different places though with cheaper BCG as well, -$15 + shipping for the nitride gas tube if I don't get it but it's not much. I see now in the latest budget build thread cheap options for barrels and the Matrix hand guard but I'm dead set on the nitride barrel, he went with the Odin BCG could've saved $50 with the AR Stoner :P

Hell Anderson makes a complete upper for $475.
            Last edited by Lightstrider; 05-16-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

For barrels, Faxon is going to be releasing general production barrels somewhat soon. I am biding my time to see what they are and how much they are compared to AA. Ballistic Advantage is too. I am with you on the nitride barrels, so many are SS or plain steel. But I don't really want a rack grade brand X barrel either.

I think once the Faxon barrels come out the already stagnant group buys are going to be a lot more stagnant.

Using the group buy bolt and WMD NIB parts (and a spare Brownell's firing pin retainer I had) I am at about $160 for my BCG. I am pretty happy with how it looks anyway, I know Odin Works has a nitrided one for $150. Nowhere near the same league as AR Stoner, that is Midway's store brand.

I also have the Matrix handguard, it looks really nice and IMO is darn hard to beat for the money. Mine was $57, has a steel barrel nut, was made in the US and is M-Lok... kind of hard to get those four things together.

Comment

• Brett A
                Bloodstained
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Brett A View Post
                You might check this out. It is a little cheaper than what you have listed for you receiver and hand guard.

http://www.tomstactical.com/aero-pre...tum-rail-combo
                Did you not look at this link? It has the very receiver and hand guard you previously listed for about $50 cheaper. It is also available in a 12 in. M-LOk for $110 cheaper than what you have listed.

Comment

• Troutguide
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

What happens if you damage your handguard, somehow, down the road a while? Your not going to be able to just get a different one an use it, you will have to order from aero if you still can. I think completely interchangeable and modular is the way to go.
                  "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Others may not agree with this but it's always best practice to source your bolt from the same place as the barrel, even more so if the place your getting the barrel takes the time to check for proper headspace of the bolt they are sending with the barrel.

Just some food for thought. Once you drop the price tag on a barrel below 300 your in rack grade barrel quaility.

Hard to go wrong with any parts from PF. I'm useing their upper and bcg to hold and drive my JP barrel and bolt. If you buy a PF upper you are almost guaranteed to not have to lapp the recevier. I have used PF's upper on five builds now and not one of them needed lapping.

I agree with Trougtguide it's always a good idea to use parts that are interchangeable and modular, don't get me wrong the aero stuff is top shelf
                    but you are fixed in to useing just their parts.

With all that said your build list looks good and it should be a fine shooting rifle, just giving you a lil to think about.

Comment

• Lightstrider
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2017

Did you not look at this link? It has the very receiver and hand guard you previously listed for about $50 cheaper. It is also available in a 12 in. M-LOk for $110 cheaper than what you have listed.
                      Yeah I did and considering it but also considering a different upper altogether for interchangeability.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

If a company has parts on their website they will always be cheaper somewhere else, I think in large part so they don't steal too much business from the vendors that buy product from them.

Comment

• Lightstrider
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                          Hard to go wrong with any parts from PF. I'm useing their upper and bcg to hold and drive my JP barrel and bolt. If you buy a PF upper you are almost guaranteed to not have to lapp the recevier. I have used PF's upper on five builds now and not one of them needed lapping.
                          Do you prefer billet or forged uppers?

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

I have only ever used forged. They are by no means a commonly broken part.

One tweak to mine, if I had it to do over I would have tried to maybe get a AA lower. Since they are the ones that developed the round and they actually say 6.5 Grendel on them it would be neat. BUT I could buy two Anderson's for one AA... so maybe my inner tightwad would still win the day anyway.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

I have only used the forged so far but have read on here and other places that when going with a long heavy barrel to use a billet upper.

My next rifle I'm going with a JP 22 inch barrel and either with joebobsoutfitters sidecharging upper are one of PF's billet side charging uppers.

Comment

Working...
                              X