X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelhunter16
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Monmouth reloading has the upper hand guard combo for $193 + shipping. This is where I ordered mine except I went with a 15" hand guard. The 15" covers my intermediate gas block by about 2-3". There's a picture of my finished rifle in my build thread if you want to take a look you can see where the gas block is under the hand guard.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Lightstrider, I'll preface by saying I am an admitted Aero fanboy. Everything in life is a compromise. And the compromise made by going truly 100% free floating with your handguard is having your upper receiver tied to an Aero handguard (the enhanced handguard can be used with a standard receiver with a special barrel nut). The only way to get it better is to go monolithic - then you're really tied together! I don't think there are too many handguards out there that you could do this with (no barrel OR barrel nut installed) let alone pick it up and carry it around.

image.jpeg
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
        Lightstrider, I'll preface by saying I am an admitted Aero fanboy. Everything in life is a compromise. And the compromise made by going truly 100% free floating with your handguard is having your upper receiver tied to an Aero handguard (the enhanced handguard can be used with a standard receiver with a special barrel nut). The only way to get it better is to go monolithic - then you're really tied together! I don't think there are too many handguards out there that you could do this with (no barrel OR barrel nut installed) let alone pick it up and carry it around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9189[/ATTACH]
        Is that your rifle waiting for the 22" JP supermatch?? Looks awesome!

Comment

• Lightstrider
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

Yeah that setup is very attractive. When I was in the market for a high end AR10 I was looking at the LMT MWS for the monolithic, but found the LaRue PredatOBR 7.62 from a private seller and went with that cause it completely breaks down so it's not monolithic but it's great a storing small plus it's a beast. I think I'm going to sell my M1A to use the funds to invest in the 6.5G but I also may look into 6.5C cause a great point was raised by Deathstar that reloading both would be very convenient. I could get both uppers for what I can sell my M1A for. Load some real nasty lightweight 6.5G's and then have the heavy longer range 6.5C's.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            Is that your rifle waiting for the 22" JP supermatch?? Looks awesome!
            Yup - thx! Barrel kit shipped yesterday - should be able to pick it up from the PO Monday!
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• carlhwv
              Bloodstained
              • May 2017

I just found this thread and the Aero receiver/handguard combo. Im a LaRue fan and there rifles have a proprietary upper/handguard system of either quick release in the tOBR series, or directly with screws in their OBR and TAR series. Which them, I know if I damage the hand guard I can get another.

I really like the Aero design mostly due to the mechanics of a true free float barrel. It works great on my LaRue rifles, with my 14.5" 223 the most accurate rifle I own. I've got to believe no pressure on the barrelnut from the handguard doesn't hurt.

Does anyone know others that make either a full monolithic upper or something hint similar to the Aero? 10 minutes ago I was ready to order a PF billet upper.....after reading this, I'm pretty sure the Aero or something similar is just what I'm looking for.
              Carl
              NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
              Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
              Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post
                I just found this thread and the Aero receiver/handguard combo. Im a LaRue fan and there rifles have a proprietary upper/handguard system of either quick release in the tOBR series, or directly with screws in their OBR and TAR series. Which them, I know if I damage the hand guard I can get another.

I really like the Aero design mostly due to the mechanics of a true free float barrel. It works great on my LaRue rifles, with my 14.5" 223 the most accurate rifle I own. I've got to believe no pressure on the barrelnut from the handguard doesn't hurt.

Does anyone know others that make either a full monolithic upper or something hint similar to the Aero? 10 minutes ago I was ready to order a PF billet upper.....after reading this, I'm pretty sure the Aero or something similar is just what I'm looking for.
                If you have MegaBucks, MegaArms does the Megalithic billet kit. I've seen them (usually out of stock) at JoeBob and Brownells.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lightstrider
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post

I have the LaRue tOBR and a regular 9" LaRue free floated hand guard on my 16" AR. Before getting the tOBR I was considerin the LMT MWS, I think if you go to their site you can get a monolithic upper but they are expensive.

Comment

• carlhwv
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2017

My lower is built on a Mega. Seem only fitting to go with their upper.
                    Carl
                    NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                    Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                    Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

Working...
                    X