• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hkcavalier
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

Yet Another Upper Build List

Seems like a common first post on here!

I have an existing 5.56 gun with a great lower (Geissele G2S, Seekins safety, Magpul UBR) that I'm going to use.

What's the deal with the BCA side charger uppers? Less than $140 for a complete upper receiver seems like a steal. I was going to go with that one unless someone knowledgeable tells me differently!

Either the JP 22" barrel + bolt ($529) or the 20" + bolt from ar15performance.com ($325). I'll have to add a muzzle device to that one if I go that route, any suggestions?

Faxon Streamline 15" handguard ($149)

I could use some scope/mount recommendations. I really wanted this to be my first rifle with a Horus reticle, but those scopes tend to be pricey.

Also, best source for quality magazines (5 and 25rnd).
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Welcome

What is the purpose of this rifle? How will you be using it, distance shooting etc

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

If you want top tier barrel/bolt, JP is very hard to beat. I'd say it's in a whole different level than ARP. JP, Lilja, PF, and AA are also top notch. I've had great luck with Shilen and Odin Works personally.

Scope and mount are 100% based on what you are doing with the rifle. Long range? Hunting? Target gun? It makes a big difference!

You already have a quality lower so that's half the battle.

My state (Maine) only let's us use a mag that can hold no more than 5 rounds in a semi-auto, so I can only speak for the 5 rounders and a c-products 10 rounder. The E-lander 4 round mag really seems to be the best quality, but oddly enough my c-products 5 and 10 rounders are every bit as reliable, and dont mark my brass up at all. Only mag that gives me fits is the arstoner/ASC 5 round mag.
      Last edited by Kilco; 05-17-2017, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• hkcavalier
        Unwashed
        • May 2017

Use? Long range target gun, perhaps some wide open country whitetail.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

If long range target gun is your goal, personaly I'd say you would be hard pressed to beat a 22" JP barrel/bolt.

Larue, aadland, and nightforce make some great 20 moa + mounts that you will probably want for added elevation adjustment.

As for optics, we really are in a golden age... LOTS of great brands making great long range scopes... just depends on your budget..I really enjoy NF for my long range/stationary hunting scopes, but Vortex, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, SWFA, all make top notch stuff, with many others I didn't mention ..

It's kind of the fun of an AR build.. sky is the limit!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X