• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightscout
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

New Guy Checking In

It finally happened, I've been bit by the Grendel bug. Decided to try this out as my first serious attempt at +500m / long-range shooting. Don't laugh, with my eyes, 500 is long distance! Looks like a great source for knowledge, I look forward to learning form you guys in the future.

Thanks
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

500 is nothing to laugh at. Further than 90% of shooter will ever shoot.

You will absolutely LOVE the 6.5 Grendel for this application. Low recoil to spot your hits, amazing factory ammo, AR15 platform compatible, and plenty enough for medium to large game.

What kind of build do you have in mind?

Comment

• Lightscout
      Unwashed
      • May 2017

I have plenty of AR's to do just about everything; 5.45 plinkers, 6.8 for whitetails, SBR Blackout... I just recently started to shoot a 5.56 with a LW50 barrel and have had good results up to 500m. A buddy, aka bad influence, is bugging me about the 6.5 Creed as he wants a shooting partner. Money doesn't grow on trees so I'm thinking the Grendel would allow me to hang with him for the most part but stick to my AR15 platforms. At the moment the longest dedicated range I have access to is 500m. I'm still researching everything, but I'm leaning towards a 20" build.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Lightscout!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

At 500 yards a Grendel with hang with a cream-horn no problem! I've been taking my 16" grendel out to 810 yards with no drama at 660 asl.

I shoot a 260 bolt gun at similar ranges, and although it has less wind deflection, I think the performace I see out of my Grendel out of a shorter, ar15 platform with literally half the weight and recoil TO ME is more impressive.

I think YOU will be the bad influence ans your buddy will be investing in a Grendel after seeing how stupid consistant yours is at 500 yards.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Grendel-yes
            20inch barrel-yes
            500m-yes

So get to building.

Comment

Working...
            X