Match -grade quality, air gauged and hand lapped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendelshooter1
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Match -grade quality, air gauged and hand lapped?

If I want to play at 1000 yards, where or who sells a barrel that has the above features and NOT chromed, or who will do this process? I'm going to build my Grendel with some of the good stuff. Just range firing if I can find a range long enough to hang out at. 20" with a 1:8 twist. Going to try and build this with some help in the barrel dept. such as Building it with a 1-MOA or
    Half-MOA groups, but let's see what barrel prices will be first before I dream big

Target ammo is the 123-gr. Hornaday A Max 6.5

I will look deeper into the AA lower and upper and see if I can reach my objective. Bolt, hmmm, AA also has this component covered pretty well. Need more edjamacation on bolt companies. I miss the old M16 and was fine with the stock and hand guard. If may upgrade due to pricing. This weapon just needs to work and work well, not trying to set the world on fire and no ego crap either, no time for that...

Would like to have a cap on cost but this will be a over time build so I may just bank cash and buy when ready...
    Lots or companies out there so I need to sort through them and chat about them with yall

Enough for now, and any help is appreciated ahead of time. Got a feeling this weapon will take a while to build!!! Lol

John
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

To get to 1000 yards I would only spend my money in one of two places either JP or PF.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

lija
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

well just go for it
        bartlein barrel from PF
        sure it will cost, but well its a bartlein
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Jakal
          Warrior
          • May 2014

As stated before Lilja, PF's Bartlien or Krieger barrels or JP.
          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendelshooter1 View Post
            If I want to play at 1000 yards, where or who sells a barrel that has the above features and NOT chromed, or who will do this process? I'm going to build my Grendel with some of the good stuff. Just range firing if I can find a range long enough to hang out at. 20" with a 1:8 twist. Going to try and build this with some help in the barrel dept. such as Building it with a 1-MOA or
            Half-MOA groups, but let's see what barrel prices will be first before I dream big

Target ammo is the 123-gr. Hornaday A Max 6.5

I will look deeper into the AA lower and upper and see if I can reach my objective. Bolt, hmmm, AA also has this component covered pretty well. Need more edjamacation on bolt companies. I miss the old M16 and was fine with the stock and hand guard. If may upgrade due to pricing. This weapon just needs to work and work well, not trying to set the world on fire and no ego crap either, no time for that...

Would like to have a cap on cost but this will be a over time build so I may just bank cash and buy when ready...
            Lots or companies out there so I need to sort through them and chat about them with yall

Enough for now, and any help is appreciated ahead of time. Got a feeling this weapon will take a while to build!!! Lol

John
            John:

How serious are you about 1000 yard shooting? A Grendel lacks the velocity to be competitive at that distance. Just a simple fact. 30 grain capacity and a 6.5 mm bullet. No comparison with competitive 1000 yard cartridges.

And, are there any ranges near you where you can shoot that far?

I say these things because you can spend a whole bunch of money on barrels for your Grendel and no matter what you do, you will never be competitive against guys shooting rifles made for 1000 yards. And, you may just be hindering yourself for the majority of your shooting activities.

If I were you, I would get a Grendel that you can enjoy shooting all the time rather than one you will only be able to use for a specific purpose.

Go to PF and look at what he has for 16 or 18 inch barrel lengths. They will suit almost all your normal shooting activities and you can still have a lot of fun shooting at 1000 yards.

LR55

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

That's good advise from lr55.

I have a .740 profile 20" lilja that I had PF build for me. I hunt with it only if one of my shorter lighter guns isn't being used by a family member. I am thinking about sending it to mark to have it fluted so it wouldn't be quite as heavy to carry around.

I use to have the 1000 yd goal but there are no ranges around me that long. I shoot at a buddy's farm and the max I can go there is about 800.

Knowing what I know now, if I could only have one it would be the 18" fluted from Alexander Arms. I have a 16" fluted from AA and that thing is so nice to carry and shoot.

Good luck on your pursuit
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

55 and Rabiddawg are on the money.

If 1,000 is your thing you could build an AR10 in 260Rem or 6.5 Creedmore and get much better results with that length of barrel. Or go a bolt gun in any of the larger cased 6.5's including 6.5*284. Or even go 7mm or a .338 bolt gun. Using a 6.5Grendel at 1,000 yards is like entering a Formula 1 race with a truck. You'll finish, but last.

Grendel is a mid-range calibre; 400-800yds. You see this in the size of the cartridge and the gun it was designed for (the AR15). It can shoot outside that envelope but there are better calibres for that. You can even put a heavy barrel (on a receiver designed to be light) to extend that envelope a little...but the small case will always be its Achilles heel at long range.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

I remember years ago when I was first getting into long range shooting, I of course thought that the venerable 308 was the long range cats ass simply because it was what the m40 variants and most m24 were chambered in.. boy did I ever waste a boat load of bullets and time..

My furthest target is a 20x20 steel plate at 1040 yards, and even pushing a 175 smk at 2650 fps, the unpredictable maine valley winds kicked my arse! Forget about it with multiple cross winds.. all the wile my father with his stiller action 6.5x284 and his buddy with a 6MMAI were easily slapping steel over and over with little effort, giggling the whole time.. That was my first hard lesson in balistic coefficients and wind deflection. I now have a custom 260 Rem build by Clerance Hammonds I use for just that purpose that let's me enjoy 1000 yard + shooting. But in all honesty it doesn't see much use..

For every single other purpose I have with a rifle though, my Grendel is by far my favorite. Phenominal performance for what it is, oozing efficiency.

Regardless, I'm anxious to see what you decide to roll with, and would be equally pumped to see you build a dedicated long range Grendel!

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

Grendelshooter1,

Welcome to our 6.5 Grendel Forum!

As others have stated, above, 1,000 yards is a far piece for the 6.5mm Grendel. Enter: the 6.5mm SAUM:
                    (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post107571)

(http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post122463)

Comment

• FLS
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2015

I'm shooting a 24" AA match barrel with factory Amax ammo. I'm averaging 2605 MV over my Magneto Speed . It's a half MOA shooter if I do my part. At my last match I made multiple hits on the 900 and 1000 yd targets. Two targets at each distance, a 10 x 10 plate and a 2/3 IPSC. My buddy did the same with. 20" Saturn shooting 120 SMKs. The Grendel is more than capable. Estimating your wind holds is just a lot more critical than with the Creedmoor or 260.

Comment

• Texas
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2016

LR55 and the rest are on the money, there are very few places you can shoot 1000 yds competitively, and there are any number of cartridges that will outperform the grendel. For the money, if you are going to shoot 1000 yds, you would be much better off with a 6 mm BR or PPC in a bolt gun.

If you are looking for an effective hunting cartridge out to 500 yds with a quick follow-up if needed, then the Grendel is a good fit. I am in North Texas and have access to several thousand acres of property to hunt on, and there are very few places that a 1000 yd shot are possible. 500 yds can be an every day occurance.

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

You can spend a lot of money with just a little improvement in accuracy. Air guaging and hand lapping are terms used with no real definition other than an air guage was used and the barrel was lapped with a slug. If the tolerances of the barrel are not stated, then you must rely on the reputation of the manufacturer.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. You didn't seem to mention competition.

What part of the Nation do you live in?

For me up here in the Rockies/Uintahs, even short barrels do much better at distance than I ever expected from this cartridge, to the point that it seems boring to hit targets with at distance with. On a large gong at 1000yds, I rapid-fired a 6rd group into 8" vertical, 4" horizontal using my Lilja 318 barrel and a somewhat mild 123gr AMAX load. Transitioned over to a reduced IPSC sil and put a round on the forehead, then dumped some more rounds onto that little target until it was boring.

This was at 6600ft elevation on a pleasant day. The air is much thinner, so my trajectory is a lot better than down at sea level.

For just fun shooting long range, the 6.5 Grendel is a very user-friendly cartridge to work with for me. A lot more forum members have been having success with it in gas gun competitions, or even against bolt guns. One advantage that I see is the reduced muzzle blast and negligible recoil help keep your focus on target so you can see your own shot easily, whereas this becomes more difficult for me with larger cartridges, even in 6.5mm.

It's one of the reasons the 6mm wildcats are becoming so dominant in PRS matches.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                            X