• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALshooter
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

Interested in moving into some light precision shooting

I've been searching for a solution to shoot a new match style here in North Texas. It is called PGP. Precision, Gas & Pistol. Basically mixing a precision match, 3 gun match and throwing out the shotgun. I don't have a precision rifle at the moment and am not interested in a PRS style bolt gun until I'm sure it's something I'll stick with for the long run. The precision targets will be 2 MOA size from 300-900 yards and gas gun (.223 AR) targets will be 4 MOA size from 50-300 yards . The match requires movement and the ability to sling each rifle.

Seems to me that the 6.5G should be ideal for this match so I'll be lurking around reading as much as I can to zero in on a configuration that will work for this match but also double as a hunting rifle to replace my old 30-06.

I'm initially thinking 18" mid weight rifle gas. I have a few stripped uppers I need to use to start with so this will be an upper build and not an upper order. Any up front advise? Looking forward to the process!
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I would look for a barrel in the 22" midweight rifle gas range. An 18" has the capability to go 900 yards but the extra velocity from a 22" will go a long way. I did a lot of shooting last fall in eastern NM about 1.5 hrs NW of Amarillo and at a density altitude of 4500 ft, and factory 123 grain Amax from my 18" barrel started going transonic just past 800 yards. A bullet without a melting tip should have longer legs, but you'd still be near its limit at 900. Take a look at the JP 22" barrel if your budget allows it. They are made with PR competition in mind. I have one on order that should arrive any day, but a lot of folks on here have great success with them.

Since your probably not too far, I'll add that I can't say enough to good things about the introductory PR course at Blue Steel Ranch put on by JP and what it's done for me. I'm hoping to get back down for level 2 in November.
    Last edited by StoneHendge; 05-17-2017, 05:01 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      I would look for a barrel in the 22" midweight rifle gas range. An 18" has the capability to go 900 yards but the extra velocity from a 22" will go a long way. I did a lot of shooting last fall in eastern NM about 1.5 hrs NW of Amarillo and at a density altitude of 4500 ft, and factory 123 grain Amax from my 18" barrel started going transonic just past 800 yards. A bullet without a melting tip should have longer legs, but you'd still be near its limit at 900. Take a look at the JP 22" barrel if your budget allows it. They are made with PR competition in mind. I have one on order that should arrive any day, but a lot of folks on here have great success with them.

Since your probably not too far, I'll add that I can't say enough to good things about the introductory PR course at Blue Steel Ranch put on by JP and what it's done for me. I'm hoping to get back down for level 2 in November.
      Welcome aboard ALshooter.

This is solid info right here from StoneHenge. Another plug for the Blue Steel Ranch. I was just down there last year for Steel Safari. It's an amazing piece of real estate.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ALshooter
        Unwashed
        • May 2017

Thanks guys! I wish I could afford to build this particular upper with a JP barrel but I'm also rebuilding my 3 gun upper after having a factory squib rip it apart. Since the manufacturer of said ammo has been unresponsive after the first contact I'm having to come out of pocket for it. Maybe an upgrade down the line.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum ALshooter, another thing to consider is whether you are going to buy factory loaded ammo or use your own hand loads. The new Federal Gold medal match with 130 grain Berger bullet looks like a promising load and might give the Hornady ELD Black factory ammo some competition beyond 600 yards. If you reload you can do a little tweaking to find an acceptable hand load to shoot past 600 yards.

Be sure to keep us up to date what you end up using in the PGP matches.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ALshooter View Post
            Thanks guys! I wish I could afford to build this particular upper with a JP barrel but I'm also rebuilding my 3 gun upper after having a factory squib rip it apart. Since the manufacturer of said ammo has been unresponsive after the first contact I'm having to come out of pocket for it. Maybe an upgrade down the line.
            Sorry to hear about that. Who was the ammo manufacturer?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ALshooter
              Unwashed
              • May 2017

This ammo has a reputation for being rock solid so I'll wait until the issue is resolved before saying who it is. I did get them on the phone again today.

I will most likely be rolling my own loads for 6.5 after initial break-in and sighting. I'll definitely update with what I use and how it works for me. That is if I get geared up in time to make a match this season. Between the kids, USPSA and 3 gun...adding another hobby/game might turn into a year long project. It would be much shorter if I could only work 4 days a week instead of 5!

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum ALshooter from North Texas.

I would like to know more about the new competition.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ALshooter View Post
                  I've been searching for a solution to shoot a new match style here in North Texas. It is called PGP. Precision, Gas & Pistol. Basically mixing a precision match, 3 gun match and throwing out the shotgun. I don't have a precision rifle at the moment and am not interested in a PRS style bolt gun until I'm sure it's something I'll stick with for the long run. The precision targets will be 2 MOA size from 300-900 yards and gas gun (.223 AR) targets will be 4 MOA size from 50-300 yards . The match requires movement and the ability to sling each rifle.

Seems to me that the 6.5G should be ideal for this match so I'll be lurking around reading as much as I can to zero in on a configuration that will work for this match but also double as a hunting rifle to replace my old 30-06.

I'm initially thinking 18" mid weight rifle gas. I have a few stripped uppers I need to use to start with so this will be an upper build and not an upper order. Any up front advise? Looking forward to the process!
                  AL:

Two things to look at before you spend money. Both are purely gamesmanship but mean something if you want to have a good showing.

First, from what you are saying, the 5.56 has a huge advantage given its targets are 4 minutes and the max range is 300 yards. Does this mean any AR or only 5.56? If it means 5.56 only, stay with the 5.56. If it means any AR, it is up to you. A Grendel will have an advantage over a decent 77 grain 5.56 load at 300 yards on steel only because it is heavier and bigger. Thus you have a better chance of knocking down the steel or causing enough splash and sound that a grader can see the bigger and heavier Grendel hit the steel or hear it hit the steel. A 5.56 still has less recoil and that means something if speed is involved.

Second, are you required to hit steel or put steel down? A Grendel will give you a solid advantage over a 5.56 in terms of knocking down steel and it is easier to see trace and hear the steel get hit with a Grendel than a 5.56. Sometimes these things use a grader who looks at the steel with a spotting scope and if there is a lot of wind blowing the wrong way, he may not see splash with a 5.56 or hear the steel get hit with a 5.56 where as you have a better chance that he can see and hear the heavier 6.5 mm bullet.

Yes, it is gamesmanship but it is also a game being played.

LR55

Comment

• ALshooter
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2017

I know it has been a while but I finally completed my Grendel build. I'll be dialing it in Sunday and seeing how far I can stretch its legs. I may just get a couple rattle cans and make it not-so-scary.

Thanks to LRRPF52 for the 20" group buy barrel and monster bolt.
                    LMT Grizzly lower
                    forged upper
                    Seekins 15" handguard
                    Luth AR stock
                    JP SRS
                    Larue MBT
                    Griffin Paladin taper mount brake for my Form 1 supressor
                    Caldwell Bipod
                    Athlon Cronus
                    Vortex 20MOA mount
                    Grendel_1500x1500.jpg
                    Last edited by ALshooter; 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

ALshooter,
                      What color are you planning on painting it to make it less scary?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Looks great! Let us know how it shoots!

Comment

• ALshooter
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2017

I can honestly say I was surprised how well it did. Sighted it in and immediately moved over to the known distance 1000 yd range on the 4 moa target lane. Made first round hits at 289, 397 and 472 yds. The 594 yd target saw two misses until I got my wind call right. We decided to leave since we were getting eaten up by chiggers and didn't bring any bug spray. Next trip I'll see how well it does on the 2 moa target lanes and take it out a little furthur.

I was shooting both Hornady Black and American Gunner rounds.

bj139, I'm thinking it is going to be camo on a coyote base with green, brown and grey sprayed over straw and leaves. I really need to watch some tutorials since this will the first time I've painted a gun.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Sounds like everything is coming together, really good for first outing!

Comment

Working...
                            X