• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TCBrown125
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

Need help! Cycling issue

I have a Radical Firearms complete 6.5 Grendel upper on a DPMS Multi Cal lower. I've been having all kinds of problems. First it wasn't wanting to cycle through the rounds, manually or shooting. It was crushing the neck of the bullets and not wanting to extract the rounds. Factory load Horandy SST by the way. Scratching the bullet all up too. Took it to a gunsmith, he polish out the feed ramps and the chamber, went and shot it today. The 5 round mag, it cycled fine and shot perfectly, no scratching of the casing. 10 round mag, about the 7th or 8th bullet, it wants to not extract the bullet and try to jam up another bullet into the chamber. They are both AR Stoner Mags, yes I have dremeled the front so they can feed better because they were getting caught on the front of the mag. What are some ideas to why this is happening? Is it a gas problem, or do I need a new buffer or what?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Could be a feed lip issue and or follower issue, haven't use any stoner mags just asc, cpd, and elander, no problems so far and I'm getting close too 2000 rounds through my rifle with the mags I listed.

If the five round mag worked and the ten round didn't I would put them side by side and compare parts maybe you will see something out of line and c auseing the problem.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Maybe mag spring is a lil to stiff, try loading it up and letting it sit for a week are two.

I did that to my asc and elander mags when I first got them.

Comment

• TCBrown125
        Unwashed
        • May 2017

Ok I'll tear them down later and check it out. Why do you think the spent shell wouldn't extract? I took the mag out and let the other bullet that tried to feed out, let the bolt go, manually opened the bolt and the spent casing came right out. Why wouldn't it do it reguarly like it's suppose to?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

If the empty case isn't being pulled from the chamber maybe it's a extractor issue are a chamber issue, and I'm not experienced enough to comment on those kinds of issue's.

I would solve any mag problem's your having first then if that doesn't fix it move on to look at the extractor or chamber for any issues.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

It would help if you could take a picture of the malfunction and explain a little more thoroughly. You stated "it wants to not extract the bullet and try to jam up another bullet into the chamber."

If I interpret this correctly, your spent brass isn't getting pulled out of the chamber (aka failure to extract - FTE) so it will strip the next round off the top of the mag and jam it into the spent brass. Is this correct? If so, I'd remove the extractor from the bolt and make sure you don't have any crud in there and examine the extractor and spring for any apparent issues. The O-ring mod or an extra heavy extractor spring would be worth a shot:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...exspring-1.htm (just found this, no personal experience with this set but BCM is gtg)

Edit: article on upgrading extractor spring: https://thearmsguide.com/6827/ar-15-...ractor-spring/

Comment

• TCBrown125
              Unwashed
              • May 2017

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
              It would help if you could take a picture of the malfunction and explain a little more thoroughly. You stated "it wants to not extract the bullet and try to jam up another bullet into the chamber."

If I interpret this correctly, your spent brass isn't getting pulled out of the chamber (aka failure to extract - FTE) so it will strip the next round off the top of the mag and jam it into the spent brass. Is this correct? If so, I'd remove the extractor from the bolt and make sure you don't have any crud in there and examine the extractor and spring for any apparent issues. The O-ring mod or an extra heavy extractor spring would be worth a shot:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...exspring-1.htm (just found this, no personal experience with this set but BCM is gtg)

Edit: article on upgrading extractor spring: https://thearmsguide.com/6827/ar-15-...ractor-spring/
              Yeah that's exactly what it's doing. I'll give that a shot. Do you think a heavier buffer will help too?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I've read where other Radical Firearms users have experienced failure to extract. Several have installed stronger extractor spring with the O ring. Changing their extractor spring seemed to fix most of the RF 6.5 Grendels. I suggest you only change one component at a time. If the rifle is over gassed the extractor spring upgrade may work but prove the rifle is over gassed and might benefit from a different buffer. If you put a heavy buffer in the rifle at the same time you change the extractor this could also cause the rifle to miss feed if the rifle is under gassed. You wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem as easily.

Comment

• TCBrown125
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  I've read where other Radical Firearms users have experienced failure to extract. Several have installed stronger extractor spring with the O ring. Changing their extractor spring seemed to fix most of the RF 6.5 Grendels. I suggest you only change one component at a time. If the rifle is over gassed the extractor spring upgrade may work but prove the rifle is over gassed and might benefit from a different buffer. If you put a heavy buffer in the rifle at the same time you change the extractor this could also cause the rifle to miss feed if the rifle is under gassed. You wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem as easily.
                  Alright well I'll give the Extractor spring upgrade a shot. And go from there. If it doesn't work, what's the plan then?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Radical Firearms has had known and repeated issues with things I've never seen in the AR15 before, mainly with 7.62x39 and 5.56 guns.

Barrel extensions untorquing under fire is pretty unprecedented, but they managed to crank out several of them that did that.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X