• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Shooting sticks and tripods in the field

I have a bipod that I use to shoot off the bench (plus rear sandbag) but in the field I won't have the bench (DUH!). Anyway, I have a pair of sticks and a tripod, o, and I should add that due to lower back issues I don't see myself shooting prone...
    So, if using sticks or tripod in the field I have seen some place them basically where a bipod would attach, up towards the front of the barrel. Other times I've seen some balance the rifle on the sticks/tri, placing them near the rifle's center of gravity.
    Which is the better or more preferred placement in your opinions?
    Most of my practice to-date has used the "up to the front" style of placement but I'm totally open to better ideas.
    Shooting position I'd expect would be either kneeling or sitting from a low stool/seat, that sort of thing; doing a standing shoot for up to 300-350 seems less steady.
    Thanks for advice!
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I prefer my shooting sticks, tripod style primos sticks to be out at the very front end of my handguard.

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

I use the bog-pod tripod and set my rifle toward the end of the forestock as it gives me a rearward balance which makes for less movement of the muzzle than a center of gravity rest would. Been doing it like this for my rabbit shooting for many years now as I can no longer go prone either.
      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
        I use the bog-pod tripod and set my rifle toward the end of the forestock as it gives me a rearward balance which makes for less movement of the muzzle than a center of gravity rest would. Been doing it like this for my rabbit shooting for many years now as I can no longer go prone either.
        Got the bog pod tripod also, and I think I will try even some standing positions... when seated I've been placing it about where the bipod would go, but perhaps move it back a bit, leaving it still a little front heavy like you suggest...?
        I just watched a video of the "65 guys", 'course they have some more expensive tripods but some of their techniques were some good teaching for me.
        Next time at the range I'm going to try this, seated and standing.
        the bog pod is a lot stronger than I thought.
        one leg was slipping as I tried aiming it couple of days ago, but there are some hex screws down at the flip levers on the leg - I tightened and now she's steady again.
        (Once again the proverbial loose screw has done me in!!!)
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
        X