• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael DM
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2016

How would you rate the Molot 6.5 Grendel

Overall, how would you rate, on a scale of 1 through 10, the Molot 6.5 Grendel for:

Reliability--
    Strength--
    Accuracy--
    Hunting--
    Self Defense for When SHTF--
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Reliability-- it's an AK!
    Strength-- it's an AK..
    Accuracy-- it's an AK
    Hunting-- why not?
    Self Defense for When SHTF-- "if it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it" -Borris the bullet catcher

I kinda like the hammer forged stuff. The newer ak's are getting better IMO. I know it's heresy but I'm partial to AK's especially for reliability reasons. I've seen some pretty good and accurate kit builds friends have made. (I love my S12) The only reason i wouldn't really want one for SHTF is the plastic limited cap. Mags. I might just settle for a light rifle, 10mm, and a .22 pistol. And leave the rest behind if i must. If i could have my ultimate shtf rifle it just might be a custom air gun. If your buggin out you don't really want a high tolerance gun. Thats my thinking...

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The ten round magazine is a limiting factor with this rifle. Aftermarket vendors are hesitent to invest the capital for the magazine because of questionable market saturation. Consumers are hesitent to purhase a 6.5 Grendel AK because it only comes with ten round mag. I read on an AK forum CCSPECS is considering this project but have several alternative projects in the works. The question is which product/project should have the highest priority. It might help to contact CCSPECS and let them know your interested in a 6.5 Grendel VEPR high capacity magazine.

There has also been discussion on Serbia adopting the 6.5 Grendel AK if this would help with the production of high capacity 6.5 Grendel AK mags.

Magazines for Saiga, Vepr, M14 and many other firearms.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-07-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• howl
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

vs an $800 AR in Grendel? Less than average, excepting the SHTF and that is only if your scenario does not include a cleaning kit or lube.

Comment

• wganz
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2015

Given market realities, this will only be an interesting read 100 years from now whenever gun nerds debate turn of the century designs on whatever the Interwebz morphs into by that time. The AR15 is the kudzu of the firearm industry for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Maintenance whats that?

Article here

Also if you didn't see it there's this thread below in the semi auto section here, spendy but top notch!
            Don't know if this has been posted yet but .... http://criterionbarrels.com/media/criterion-and-sharps-bros-manufacture-65-grendel-ak

Sorry to dodge your qusstion but until someone gets one its how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop. I sank some considerable money into my PSL or I would have loved a 54r/grendel VEPR. My PSL aint stock though and i scored a virgin kit from centerfire w/barrel years ago for $350. And nodak fpk rec. Red Star trigger. Rifle dynamics adapter Etc etc.

At this point though i think the VEPR is clearly the better choice. I love the bi metallic cheap ammo though for cheap anti material sorta round.
            Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 02-09-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

My father picked up one of these in the 20" configuration, and it's actually funny as hell to watch him ring steel at 620 yards with his 107 smk handloads.. believe it or not the thing is an absolute shooter! He has gotten sub 1" groups with his handloads, and loves the rifle. Functions flawless.

He did have to make a couple modifications to get it to not beat the crap out of his brass on ejection, but they look dent free now.

Comment

Working...
              X