• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Changes at Midway USA

I got an e-mail from Midway today that said they are closing out their AR Stoner Grendel II barrels. They're showing new arrivals that they are listing simply as 6.5 Grendel.

These new barrels don't seem to include a bolt and I can't find any Grendel bolts on their site. This may be one step forward and another step back. I have sent them a message asking if they are actually SAAMI chambered.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

My bad. Looked a little further and found a complete Grendel BCG.

Comment

• kevperro
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

I don't smoke much weed so I wouldn't be interested in the Stoner model but otherwise they look good.

I am joking..... hard to get a laugh out of people around here.
      Last edited by kevperro; 06-06-2017, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• matkal
        Bloodstained
        • May 2014

Originally posted by kevperro View Post
        I don't smoke much weed so I wouldn't be interested in the Stoner model but otherwise they look good.

I am joking..... hard to get a laugh out of people around here.
        Lmfao

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

I get the humor.

Here's Midway's response:

Thank you for your email regarding the New AR Stoner barrels in 6.5 Grendel. Our 6.5 Grendel barrels are Saami Spec for 6.5 Grendel, but not the 6.5 Grendel II. I hope this helps with your decision.

I pointed out to them that there is no such thing as a SAAMI Grendel II. I just wish the retailers knew more about what they are selling.

It appears that these AR Stoner barrels and Sanders barrels are coming from BCA. This is what Sanders told me about their barrels:

Hello Glenn, we are using the most recent SAAMI specifications for the Grendel II chambers.

I tried to point out that there's no such thing as SAAMI Grendel II and he called me back and tried to tell me that the SAAMI Grendel II came out after Alexander's patent ran out, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyway, for what it's worth, it seems that various retailers (such as Classic, AR Stoner, and Sanders) are selling the BCA barrels which seem to be SAAMI spec. I just wish they would call them SAAMI rather than Type whatever. Maybe I'm being too anal about it.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Problem is they likely don't know for sure what they have as they are simply a middleman whom appears clueless. So no you are not being too analytical about it.

Comment

• kevperro
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
              Problem is they likely don't know for sure what they have as they are simply a middleman whom appears clueless. So no you are not being too analytical about it.
              Just imagine if they start selling Grendel barrels at Walmart.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I think the bolts mess them up too, I got this from Classic:

Yes it is SAAMI approved, the bolt face depth I am not sure of, but, it is a type 2 and thus you would need a type 2 BCG to fit that, (for head spacing purposes), barrel threading is 5/8" x24 and 416R SS is the material that is used for barrel.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you!
                Like they might think the .136 bolt face (aka Grendel II bolt) has something to do with actually being SAAMI.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

I was reading some old posts and found a discussion about this. It seems type I and type II are about bolt depth (.125 or .136) and not chamber configuration. The chamber is either SAAMI or not SAAMI. Throat configuration is where SAAMI and other types differ. BCA refers to type II as the bolt depth and says they are chambered for SAAMI. Type II bolt and SAAMI configuration were the original Alexander Arms specification.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

FWI -- These guys who push non-SAAMI or claim compliance, even mistakenly, open themselves to serious liability suits should anything untoward happen with the rifle. This will be true even if the user knowingly erred in his or her reloading or use of factory ammunition.

The message for manufacturers, distributors, and retailers is "Protect yourself by doing the research necessary to see if the claims match the facts."

It is truly OK to sell a rifle that digests factory Grendel ammunition but it is not OK to falsely claim that it complies with the SAAMI spec. One way or another, the false claim will haunt those who either made them or unwittingly passed them on.
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

I'd like to find whoever started this grendel II chamber and bolt non sence and throw copious amounts of chilli flakes into their eyes. I get questions from customers every day regarding this abortion of an idea.

BHW should have just called it 7.62x39 bolt. Saturn should have called it, 6.5x39 chamber or something of that nature.

Stumbled on another forum where people seem totally clueless as to why the SAAMI spec chamber is the way it is. When you are constrained to AR15 mag length, the SAAMI spec chamber is genius for getting all types of bullet designs to shoot well.. The other chamber I could kind of, sort of get in a bolt gun if you wanted to load the bullets WAY long ans try to get more powder capacity.. but in AR15 mag lengths it's a hair brained half ass idea... grr...

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Weatherby started promoting their extended freebore back in the 60s or 70s. It was an extended throat designed to reduce high peak pressure in their magnum cartridges. I guess some genius decided this would be a good idea in the Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                        X