FinnSniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FinnSniper

Here's a clip of the last stage we did at FinnSniper 2008. The winds were terrible, and I had windage dope dialed in for every one of those shots, even though they were closer. As you can see, the ranges are on the coast. It was a very fun match. There are some good examples of Janter targets on this stage...aluminum plates on radio-controlled pop-up/reactive bases.

Very badass. I read some of the objectives are miles away from each other and you have a set time to get there or lose those points.

Comment

That year (2008), sign-in and occupation of the barracks was on Friday afternoon/evening, along with the course briefing.

The first shooting stage was on face targets at 100m I think.

Next was a coordinated team shoot where you and your partner had to shoot at targets simultaneously from seated positions, without support.

Then there was a stage where you had to direct your partner onto a segment of a target without spotting, just looking at a copy of the target and explaining to them what section of the target they had to put 5 rounds into in a 30 second time frame IIRC.

There was also a stage where you shot from a table platform and window loophole at UKD Janters on a field impact area of about 90 degrees of range fan. Targets went out to at least 650m, if not further on that stage. A lot of teams knocked their rifles over when the spotter shifted and his gear & bumped his rifle off the table, scope-first onto the ground.

Then there was a long-range stage with several targets on the reverse-slope of a small hill on the gradient going down to the beach, and the hill was covered in tall grass. Basically, you had no way of registering misses, as the left/right/short rounds plunged into the grass, which was blowing in the breeze, and the long shots went into the ocean.

Then there was the stage you see above, and both team members shot it as in all other stages, switching roles between shooter and spotter. Many teams didn't even clear the 1st portion of it at the bailed sand barricades. It was painful to watch, because I think a few teams had lost track of their elevation turrets, and didn't have zero-stop scopes, even though they had way more capable calibers than me and my partner.

He had a Rem700 Sendero in .25-06' in an Accuracy International Chassis, with S&B 5-25x56 PMII, Brugger & Thomet Suppressor, pushing 115gr Berger VLD's over 3000fps. I had the GA Precision AR in .308, Hensoldt 3-12x56 MilDot, running 155gr Scenars at 2820fps.

The Land Nav course was the last event, which you have to run to be competitive. You are required to have all your kit with you at all the stages, including the land nav, and each shooting stage cadre team graded you on a different aspect of camouflage:

Uniform: 3D coverage gives maximum points
      Equipment: Same
      Skin: Face and Hands camouflaged
      Weapon: 3D gives maximum points (since my barrel didn't have camo wrapped around it, we lost 1 PT)
      Optics: ARD, camo wrapped around, etc.

Comment

I remember participating in a debate about why the 25-'06 and 270 Win weren't used in target shooting very often. Your post helped with two of the issues. First, there are now some nice .25 caliber bullets on the market, and second, the 25-'06 was used to good effect in a bona-fide long range match!

Comment

Yeah, that rifle was so fricken accurate. The guy has now gone to a 6.5x47 Lapua, which is a laser. I wish I had video of him shooting it in last year's FinnSniper from a tower on that same coastline. He made numerous 900m 1st-round hits with it on the Janter targets. It was beautiful, really. His x47 Lapua is built on an RPA action, which is a huge hunk of aluminum billet, with a high-end barrel screwed into it. He was running 140gr Berger VLD's at well over 2900fps.

When I test-fired yut's Grendel on Saturday, I took my .270 Winchester with some of the loads I did up for it with 135gr SMK's on top of Hodgon's H4831. I still haven't adjusted down the pull weight on the Pre-64 trigger, and I still shot a nice sub-MOA group with it, while looking through an ancient Weaver scope with that gigantic post and wire reticle. That barrel has some potential...it's a featherweight not even free-floated, just an original Pre-64 Model 70.

Comment

Working...
          X