• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Cattle Are Not My Hunting Friends

I swear, as long as I sat in my chair up on the ridge top and did nothing, the cattle just meandered around and paid me no mind. Once I would get up to walk anywhere, 40 or 50 would come with me, never too close, but paralleling me and making all sorts of racket.

Twice I spied this group of hogs coming out of the woods. Wind was not a problem. However, when I would advance, so would all my helpers. Twice the hogs were pushed back into the woods.

The third time, I tried going slower after first letting the hogs come much farther out into the field. This helped, some. Even so, the hogs got pushed out by the cattle's thrumming hooves and moos. So I went ahead and took a laggard.

The Cavity Back Bullets seemed to work just fine. Had I done my part, I would have only needed one shot, but I pulled the first shot. All three appeared to have opened, but all three overpenetrated and were not recovered. The second shot (and slow mo in the credits) can be seen impacting the dirt behind the hog. Had the hog not been recovered, it would almost look like it completely missed, but it dropped the hog for the 2nd time.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Glad you worked around them, I feel your pain.

My grandfather's tenet dumps a couple hundred head of cattle on his farm to "clean up" for free over the winter. Half of them are terrified of people so they constantly stampede around the farm trying to get away from me... and the other half want fed so they run towards me and then follow me around bawling wanting fed. They have screwed up many a stalk.

It greatly complicates deer hunting...to the point I haven't even bothered for the last few years.

Comment

• Bruw
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2017

DNS, just wanted to say thanks for the effort in putting together your videos. I really enjoy them alot.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Yeah, the cattle I like best just ignore me. On this property, there are two herds, the landowner's and a tenant's. The landowner's cattle watch me, but largely could not care less what I do unless I get within 10 or 20 feet of them. They are in a different pasture than these, which belong to the tenant.

Bruw, glad you enjoy them. I do too, other people's and even some of mine.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
          Warrior
          • May 2014

I like cattle, med rare, on a plate , with baked potato, and bring the salad on out when you get a chance. Cows are a pain in the A$$, dairy farm kid, and beef after that. My fondest memory of cattle is the last trip to the stock yard.
          Like the videos DNS, keep at it, you may end up hunting with Pigman one of these days .

Comment

Working...
          X