• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockslut
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

built in MOA scope mounts

Question for you guys. Im hoping to use my Night Force scope on both my 300 ultra mag and my ( not finished builting yet ) 6.5 grendel. Both will be long range hunting/target rifles. Ultra mag out to 1000 and grendel prob 7-800. Im pretty sure the one piece night force mount i bought 12-15 years ago has 20moa built in. Im thinking about getting the LaRue Tactical Scope Mount QD LT745with 20moa . I understand that i will have a different zero starting point with both guns. Dose anyone see any problems with this logic.

I appreciate any advice, Thank, Mike
  • RangerRick
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

20 moa will be plenty for the Grendel. I have a 10 moa LaRue on my Grendel with a 20 inch barrel. I can just barely get enough adjustment out of a Vortex Viper 6-24x ffp to shoot at 1000 yards without hold over.
    That's using Horandy 123 AMax bullets loaded slightly hotter than factory AMax ammo.
    The Night Force has more adjustment range than the Vortex, so between the mount and scope you can probably get out to 1500 yards easy, depending on what kind of ammo you are shooting.

RR

Comment

• rockslut
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

Thanks RR thats what i was thinking. i
      I will also be running a 20'' barrel. Should be here from ExCalibor tomorrow, (3 weeks early) cant wait.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

It will be a lot of work to swap back and forth because of having to remount the scope completely in the rings between the rifles. It is bad enough when you are leaving the rings on the scope between swaps and putting it on a Picatinny rail. I have a Nightforce 5-25X56 ATACR Mil-R Illuminated that I was planning on swapping between a couple of bolt rifles. I ended up needing different ring heights for sporter vs. target stock. There is too much difference between a bolt gun and a AR to make it work.

I bought a Leupold Mark-AR 4-12X40mm Mil-Dot for my AR Grendel that I really like for hunting.
        Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• RangerRick
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

Good luck! Let us know how that barrel works out for you. What AZB says below makes sense, but I have no idea what the configuration of your bolt gun is.

As for swapping the LaRue and having to re zero, I posted a picture on here a few years back where I had to take the LaRue QD mount off to work on the rifle. I put it back on and took a shot at 200 yards to re set the zero. I looked through the spotting scope and busted out laughing.

The shot wasn't close to zero, it was dead center, like it was put there by a hole punch. It was perfectly centered on the paper target and that was using 22 rim fire 100 Yard targets with the small dot at the center. I couldn't do that again in a million years. I shot several more to be sure my error and the scope error hadn't canceled out.

The LaRue held zero perfectly after being removed and re mounted. I couldn't believe it required no adjustment.

The 300 will be a lot different zero but the LaRue QD and Nightforce will do their parts where repeatability is concerned. That's assuming you can find a way to keep from moving the scope in the rings.

RR

Comment

• 2_speed
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2011

Another question for the Horde: Does anyone know the actual weight of the Nikon M-308 20 MOA mount?

Tom

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I would avoid the Nikon mounts after bad experiences with them.

I know people don't like to hear it, myself included, but I have a hard time finding any solid mounts that will actually do what I want for under $180, and usually more like $250 or more.

I've had good results with LaRue and ADM.

I have personally settled on the NightForce Unimount 20 MOA as my go-to. Geissele makes excellent mounts as well, as does Spuhr and AAD (forum member).
              Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-18-2017, 05:44 PM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I've got to agree with LRRPF52 on this. I tried one of those Nikon mounts and I was amazed that any company with their reputation would offer such a thing. It came off the rifle the same day I tried to get it to zero. The thing had about 10 MOA of windage built in, due to it having three separate pieces coming in contact with the picatinny rail. .

Buy once, cry once.
                Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-18-2017, 03:51 PM.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

I've heard but don't own that the vortex mounts are good to

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Pretty much LaRue or NightForce on my rifles...bolt and AR. I do have some Talley Light Weights though.
                    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                      Wtfo? Your transmission was garbled, bigs28
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

I've heard (but don't own), that the Vortex mounts are good too.
                        Fixed it.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          Fixed it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

They are built like tanks, I can tell you that.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I bought a one piece Warne 20 MOA mount for 1" scope and it seems to be a real good mount for the money. I also have a Vortex CM-202 which is gtg. I looked at a QD Vortex mounts at a LGS and it appeared to be a good mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X