X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

I'm starting to grow an interest weed in the back of my not-so-smart brain for big bore AR/SR goodness. I currently have my long-drooled-over .357Mag Henry Hexagon to play with, but once I had it, shot it and put it away, I bought my first AR and have had nothing but Black Rifle Disease since. Grendel has much to do with that.

Seriously though, the 35 Gremlin sounds INTERESTING... the weed's sproutin' friends... ugh... time to get the empty wallet spray out again...
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

KSW,
      These ARs are infectious. In the old days you would buy a rifle and it would be complete, nothing else to buy, and you shot it.
      With the ARs there is always another inexpensive barrel to buy and excess parts that you must buy other parts for.
      Many thousands of dollars later you think, "What did I need all these ARs for?"

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
        I bought my first AR and have had nothing but Black Rifle Disease since. Grendel has much to do with that.
        Yep, The ability to easily swap calibers has really brought new life into the AR, and the Grendel has really helped with that. The Grendel looks to be a really nice balance of energy, recoil, velocity and trajectory.

A .400 cal would be really cool to try though. I've used .357 magnum rifles and they just don't have the killing power that I'm comfortable with for big game, even under 100 yards. Maybe with some nice semi-wad cutter hard casts... The .44 Magnum rifles though can be WELL into the 30-30 energy levels, and with much bigger entry wounds. The .44 magnum is actually .429 or .430. I find the 10mm/.40cal diameter to be kind of "magical". It seams that when you get to that diameter, entry wound blood loss is significant and you don't have to use a bunch of velocity (blood shot) to get it.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

My dad's (by extension, me...) has the .44Mag already. I wanted one of my own, but why have two of the same thing? I use the Henry to impress myself hitting cans on the fence at 70+ yards offhand, and loaded some XTPs for hexa-home defense rounds (lol), but never thought about using it for anything but against squirrels, bunnies, etc... It was mostly a target/cowboy gun, The 44 though, holy crap what a brush gun. Dad goes out with it and sits next to the roads on the public walk-in areas by his house (these are scrub patches the farmers can't come up with anything else to do to make them profitable, so they lease the small spaces to the state for WIHA...). Purpose driven use. Perfect.

Sorry to have hyjacked the thread. Back to the OP - I am surprised at the number of ways folks take a great thing and try to make it better... oh wait. Nope, this is just another example of freedom at work! Carry on...
          Last edited by Kswhitetails; 11-04-2017, 09:11 PM.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
          X