• Sep 2016

.400 ar

anyone heard much about this round?

just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Uh Oh. This is bad news. I have been thinking about getting a big bore AR. So many choices. Not enough money.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Here is a medium bore 358 ready to buy, load and fire. Much bigger selection of bullets.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

the 358 uses a 6.8 bolt
        the 400 uses a 7.62x39 or grendel bolt

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Where would you buy barrels or dies?

Comment

• mdram
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

no clue, maybe try the page linked in the article, and contact them

Comment

• IceAxe
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

The update comments state it is not available commercially yet, still a wildcat, but of course you could have reamer made and chamber one yourself.

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

A 358 Gremlin (AKA 35 Gremlin) might be what you are looking for. I believe it was the FIRST wildcat based on the Grendel. Lots of bullets, and near identical to the 9mmx39 used a lot by the Russian army when it invaded Georgia. On the first forum before the crash some guy (from ?Indiana,?Michigan)had developed it and was marketing it along with barrels, brass and @ least two loaded bullets..

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

D tech in northern MN. can make any caliber upper, or just a bbl., if you have a reamer. I contacted him a few years back- he knows some of my relatives there.

He made the .358-6.5-243-- all on wssm cases. I asked what he had for a .40 cal. I was interested in the .440 corbon AR at the time. Only a few were made in the USA- then that round went away. He offered no options- but I can come up for lunch -anytime. And watch him make any bbl. I want !

So this new 400 AR wildcat is my close to- dream Heavy hitter for the AR . Plus off the shelf bolts, mags. I likey

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

I love that idea and was actually just thinking of a .40 to .44 caliber rifle this morning. I've mentioned in another place that my favorite short range round (100 yards or less) is a 200 grain .44 magnum fired out of a rifle. For whatever reason it just makes really large entry wounds, produces rapid blood loss, has low bloodshot, and enough energy/mass to break big bones and keep on going. Getting a bit more range out of it would be fun although I'm sure that it would come with a stiff recoil and more bloodshot at close range. Even the .44 mag pistol rounds make for a bruised shoulder without a recoil pad.

I currently have a .458 SOCOM and admittedly I haven't played with it much. It may already be what I was thinking of.
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

I have 2 458 Socom's. It's what you are looking for. Change the bolt, barrel and open the ejection port. Everything else is 5.56 based.

Almost any 45-70 bullet will work. Just make sure you get the original chamber by Teppo Jutsu, licensed out to Rock River Arms. Stay away from Wilson Combats 458 offering. Way too many problems there (repeat of the Grendel not being chambered to correct Alexander Arms dimensions).

Barnes 300 grain TTSX and H110 is a killer load!
                      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

In another thread someone mentioned the BCA side charging receiver has an ejection port big enough for 458 SOCOM.
                        I does look bigger on their website.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          In another thread someone mentioned the BCA side charging receiver has an ejection port big enough for 458 SOCOM.
                          I does look bigger on their website.
                          Ya, that was me. It works great with the .458. The BCA side charger is my go-to upper unless I specifically don't want a side charging upper.
                          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                            Ya, that was me. It works great with the .458. The BCA side charger is my go-to upper unless I specifically don't want a side charging upper.
                            Thanks for posting this info. I was thinking of of a big bore and I could make it work with only a barrel and bolt.

Comment

• kmon
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2015

Sounds interesting, currently my short range thumper is a Ruger 44mag carbine. It shoots good and has killed somewhere around 20 deer and about that many hogs, for what ever reason it seems to really like 300gr Hornady XTPs which is ok with me. I have only recovered one bullet and ti weighed 278 grains and was .82 inches across and under the hide after going through both shoulders. Killed 2 deer one morning with one shot with it. Buck ran behind the doe I was shooting at about 70 yards that I didn't see coming through the scope and double lunged both.

Comment

Working...
                              X